Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    I use Zaino Bros Leather Soft and Leather in a Bottle for my 1984 BMW and 1999 Miata. My wife just got a new E320 diesel (I occasionally get to ride in it!) and I asked the Mercedes dealership about what they recommend. The two leather products they had were Meguiars and Klasse. The dealership didn`t really have any insights into why they had these and not others.

Any reason I should use these products instead of Zaino?

Thanks!

The Old Grey Whistle Test togwt's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Premium leather package- Clean with a 6:1 solution of Woolite® / water and condition by applying Connolly Leather Hide Care or Leatherique Pristine Clean

Urethane Coated Leather- Clean with a 6:1 solution of Woolite® / water and use Groit`s Leather Care or Zanio Z-10 Leather in a bottle

Vinyl or MB-Tex Covered leather- Clean with a 6:1 solution of Woolite® / water and condition by applying Groit`s Leather Rejuvenator or Leatherique Prestine Clean

JonM
    What gets overlooked too often is that one must be a student before becoming a teacher.

Post Thanks / Like
    So the Zaino is not as good as I thought it was? I was under the impression it was one of the best leather products. Of course, I don`t stay on top of car care products, either.

Don't ever drop your clay kartoon's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    How can you tell if the leather is coated ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by kartoon

How can you tell if the leather is coated ?

Identifying characteristics- uniform colour and grain patterns; will not scratch easily; water drops will not change colour.

As for the `best` product for leather, paint, tyres, etc, there is only one `best` that really matters, what looks best to your eyes...

JonM
    What gets overlooked too often is that one must be a student before becoming a teacher.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`d stick with the Zaino conditioner for any kind of leather .. easier to use and leaves a leather scent. For natural leathers, I`d supplement periodically with a heavier conditioner like leatherique.
    Later ......

Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Jon, Could you please elaborate?

You are saying that for urethane-coated leather the Zaino Leather in a Bottle is fine, but it is not good for non-urethane-coated leather?

How do I know what I have? This is a 2005 Mercedes-Benz E320 CDI.

Thanks,

Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by The White Miata

Jon, Could you please elaborate?

You are saying that for urethane-coated leather the Zaino Leather in a Bottle is fine, but it is not good for non-urethane-coated leather?

How do I know what I have? This is a 2005 Mercedes-Benz E320 CDI.

Thanks,

Mike

1. MB- Premium Leather Package-un coated `real` leather hides

2. MB-Tex (Viynl)

3. Covered leather

Check with your handbook, or your MB dealer, if you brought the car new the premium Leather Package would have been a significant extra cost

Rant-on What vehicle manufacturers sell as â€Ëœleatherâ€â„¢ in most cases should be illegal, and by calling it nappa, alecante or whatever does not make it leather Rant-off

JonM

Post Thanks / Like
    We do have the "Premium Leather Package" as part of the Options. It is real leather and, yes, it was expensive.

My basic question is:

Why does Zaino work for urethane-coated leather and not for "premium leather"? Why are the other products better for premium, or real, leather?

Just trying to understand the logic.

Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    I didn`t say it wouldn`t work for real leather, its just there are much better products out there for real leather, Leathique, Conne lly Hide Care.

If you really want to use Zanio its good enough, it`s chosen by most because it chemically provides a `real leather` smell, totally redundent in your case , but the choice of product is entirely up to you.

JonM

Post Thanks / Like
    I like the Meguiars Gold Class Rich leather foam, which I applied to my father in-law`s Mercedes. Nice & smooth! Seems to be lasting as well.
    REEL Addict ! John

Post Thanks / Like
    I am in agreement with Jon here, for real uncoated leather I would use Connolly Hide Food, now sold as Hide Care. The Leatherique twins are also nice but I save them for more neglected hides.
    Seeking Donations: Recently Diagnosed With Terminal Senioritis.

Post Thanks / Like
    I might disagree with Jon on what to use on coated/painted leather ... but for natural leathers an occasional condition with Leatherique or similar rich conditioner is probably the best way to go.

If you really do like the ease of use and scent of Zaino Z10, I`d use a light application of Z10 monthly on your natural leather and Leatherique once or twice a year for deeper conditioning.
    Later ......

Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    The really important point Jon mentioned that should not be over-looked is cleaning. The dirt and oils (mostly body) will do more harm than lack of conditioning.

Second, check to see if there is a warranty with that expensive leather package. If so, follow to the letter because uncoated leather is a bear to keep like new in a daily driver and most dealers will look for a loop-hole to not honor the warranty.

If no cleaning or conditioning rules in the warranty, use whatever quality product you are comfortable with and has serviced you well in the past.

Post Thanks / Like
    I use z9 and 10 on Mercedes leather all the time. It will work fine and smell better than anything. Leatherique is probably a slightly better deep conditioner but it is harder to use. I recommend leatherique on older neglected leathers but if you use Zaino often on newer leathers they will be fine. Whatever you use try it on an unsuspisious area first if your worried about it.
    A day without a scrub busting my chops is like a day w/o sunshine. :grinno:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information