Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Have we discussed what we will use in lieu of #16 that is a paste offering the same apearance and durability?

I am having trouble thinking of another old school, crayon smelling, tin can paste wax like #16.

Maybe people will try out 3M show car wax, Griots, Blitz or the Mothers California Gold (I think) that comes in the tin.

You know what I think, I`d try out the Collinite Marqis D`Elegance. I use 476 and Insulator but they smeall as if they have cleaners. The Marqis may not have those same cleaners it. If not, I think that would be an interesting substitute. A high content carnauba with the Collinite durability

Any ideas? Has anyone tried the ones I mentioned and compare to #16?

Post Thanks / Like
    I think most people that want the durability of #16 will just look for a sealant that mimics the looks of a carnauba. That way they will have carnauba-like appearance with the durability of a sealant.
    Paul...

`13 Mazda3i P21S/WG sealant/Paste Glaz/QD+
    `99 Mazda Protege LX - highlight silver - RIP
    `95 Nissan Maxima SE - white - slathered with Pinnacle Paste Glaz - RIP

Post Thanks / Like
    Probably go with Poorboy`s EX w/carnauba.
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Spilchy

Have we discussed what we will use in lieu of #16 that is a paste offering the same apearance and durability?

I am having trouble thinking of another old school, crayon smelling, tin can paste wax like #16.

Maybe people will try out 3M show car wax, Griots, Blitz or the Mothers California Gold (I think) that comes in the tin.

You know what I think, I`d try out the Collinite Marqis D`Elegance. I use 476 and Insulator but they smeall as if they have cleaners. The Marqis may not have those same cleaners it. If not, I think that would be an interesting substitute. A high content carnauba with the Collinite durability

Any ideas? Has anyone tried the ones I mentioned and compare to #16?

There are so many products available that compete with and are better than #16. Some people get stuck on using a certain product and I`m sure many old time #16 users will easily be able to find a procdcut that performs as well, if not better than it. Whether it comes in a tin can or paste or liquid means little to me.

Post Thanks / Like
    You want a great sealent go with Klasse Sealent Glaze. Nothing on the market even close to it. During the fall season I don`t even put wax over it. But if you do it makes better coating for wax.
    Long Live My Audi. She Will Dearly Be missed.

Visit My Gallery if you wish!

Detailing Rottweiler 1 Clean WS6's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have squirreled away about 4 or 5 tins of #16 so I will continue to use it. The difference now being is that it will only be used on those vehicles that have to have the crystal clear look of #16 combined with its durabilty.

In its place I will start using more and more Blitz Wax. It deepens the colors of paint more than #16 and is not as clear/bright looking but has the same rock hard durability.
    Mike
    Sweating the Details Mobile Detailing Service
    Owner/Operator

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, I`ve a few tins still, will last me a few lifetimes. But I`m interested in Blitz`s durability. I thought I recall someone describing some other wax as smelling like crayons too. Was it FK`s Pink Wax?

Supernintendo Chalmers
    Post Thanks / Like
    I haven`t found one product that is comes close to competing:

1) non-cleaning

2) beads like mad

3) lasts 2+ months

4) the aforementioned crystal-clear finish

5) super easy to apply

6) non-staining

I`ve tried far too many carnubas to be considered an old-time #16 user. There are no competitive sealants, because sealants and wax lsp are entirely different products.

I am curious about 476s, although that is a little alarming to hear that it has the smell of cleaners. Perhaps I`ll just go the route of WS6 and hit up West Marine the next time I`m at the Beach.
    Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by thinksnow

I am curious about 476s, although that is a little alarming to hear that it has the smell of cleaners.

That`s why I recommended the Marqe D`Elegance from Collinite. I don`t know if it has cleaners. It may seem like a good substitute.

I use the 476s and Insulator and they REAK of chemicals. Sometimes I were a surgical glove when I apply them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Those Collinite waxes do *not* have cleaners (I`ve use them on delicate ss), but they *do* have just as high a solvent content as they smell like they do. They`re gonna be reformulated too, so if you want any of the current version you oughta stock up while you can.

Heh heh, I`ve accumulated over a dozen cans of both #16 and 476S so I`m set for this lifetime

But yeah, I figure Blitz will come back into vogue unless *it* has VOC issues too. Keep it off your trim

I really don`t think it oughta be that hard (or expensive) to stockpile enough of one`s favorite to last forever, or at least until there`s a new favorite. Wax in tins has a practically infinite shelf-life if you take minimal precautions.

Post Thanks / Like
    Use Natty`s but apply twice as often. I`ll try comparing 3M show car paste w/#16 next time I wax, I used it before once and liked it but haven`t tested it for durability. May try Mothers carnauba also if the 3M doesn`t work out. Plan on picking up one more can of #16 just in case.

Detailing Rottweiler 1 Clean WS6's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Accumulator

But yeah, I figure Blitz will come back into vogue unless *it* has VOC issues too.

That is a super point. Meg`s has been the most vocal about which products are getting axed or reformulated...but who knows what other products are going to be subject to these same reformulations or all together banishment into detailing never never land?? :nixweiss
    Mike
    Sweating the Details Mobile Detailing Service
    Owner/Operator

Post Thanks / Like
    There are so many products available that compete with and are better than #16. Some people get stuck on using a certain product and I`m sure many old time #16 users will easily be able to find a procdcut that performs as well, if not better than it. Whether it comes in a tin can or paste or liquid means little to me.

I am a new user -- having discovered #16 just a few months ago. But I think there are no close substitutes that i`ve seen. Hence my desire to check out other Carnaubas such as Mother`s (And I bought more #16 as well).

I have sealants I like, but they`re not the same thing. There are products which are better -- on some margins -- than #16, but nothing I`ve seen that does everything it does, and none that are clearly better.

For me, whether it comes in a paste or liquid form means a great deal, as the smell, look and feel of #16 is part of its appeal. Sometimes I like to play with liquids, sometimes with paste. In general, I find all sealants inferior in look to waxes. If not for sealants` better durability, I would never use a sealant at all.

I`m actually looking forward to trying NXT because it`s in paste form now. I prefer UPP for liquids but like trying different LSPs.

I`m glad we were warned in advance.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Spilchy

Last time I talked to the people at Collinite Customer Service they recommended 476s over Marqis D`Elegance. Neither wax has cleaners and can be layered according to the rep I talked to. The difference was a higher carnauba content in the Marqis and they added a fragrance. They recommended 476s because it`s basicly the same wax and cheaper.

Post Thanks / Like
    Seriously folks, maybe #16 is over-rated. Must be a nostalgia thing. Being an old guy, I used #16 years ago -- a lot of years ago. I switched to #26 paste wax when it became available because it was a better product. I`ll bet my present can of #16 is over 20 years old.

Right now I`m using NXT without a canauba topper and my black Hemi looks great. If I should decide to use a topper, I`ll get out the jar of S100 that I have for my Harleys. It`s easier to apply and remove than #16

Tom
    2 white Tacomas and 2 black Harleys. I got half-way smart.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information