Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    My plan was to wash the Nissan today and throw a coat of #16 on it. That way it would be about as fresh as the coat of Blitz on the Regal. The Nissan is outside at home, garaged at work, while the Regal is garaged at home, outside at work, so seemed fair enough. But then I thought, what the hell, why not a half-and-half.

The Nissan was in nice shape with a month old coat of #16 still going strong. The paint is pretty smooth with good gloss and shine.

Here is the car ready to be waxed. At this point it had just been washed via the QEW method as it is in the 20F`s today:

The contenders, ready to get to it:

The application of both was interesting. The Blitz feels softer in the can, and as a result it is easier to apply. The applicator glides around more easily than the #16 applicator does. Neither is difficult to apply, but the #16 is grabbier. The #16 also feels thicker and more substantial in the can and on the app. Both have a mild smell, #16 of crayons, and Blitz of beeswax. Wipeoff was similar to application. Blitz is slightly easier to wipe off, the towel slides over it more. However, neither is difficult to buff.

I also applied the waxes to the black insert between the side window and the 1/4 window on each side, and I applied it to the side mirror housings. The housings are a single stage paint, the kind that get oxidized pretty easily and generally look cheap and like crap. They were still in nice shape from the #16 on them a month ago, but it`s a decent test of the solvent levels. The #16 took off less black from the housing than Blitz did. You`ll see on the #16 app two lines, though, where I bumped some rubber... Neither one took off very much. Most products will take off more than that, including non-abrasive products like Klasse SG and such:

Edit: removed the pictures with the flash on

Post Thanks / Like
    The results. It was pretty hard to tell a difference. The Blitz seemed like it added a little gloss to the finish when I was applying it. The #16 didn`t seem to alter the finish, but then again, it`s #16 that was on the finish to start with. Both sides look shiny and glossy. There was no apparent difference in the garage or outside. #16 is on the passenger side, Blitz on the drivers side.

Outside (sun was in front of the car on the passenger side, but the car was in the shade):

#16:

Blitz:

Edit: removed picture with the flash on

Post Thanks / Like
    What was interesting was that there did seem to be a difference on the mirror housings. The Blitz housing seemed blacker and deeper, while the #16 housing seemed brighter and shinier. In the garage I tried to even the lighting, but there`s just more light on the #16 side of the car. I could have moved the Aurora outside to get similar lighting on both housings, but no... Outside, the sun was also on the #16 side, though both sides were in the shade and it was fairly overcast.

Blitz:

Although for that deep, wet, black look, you can`t beat the leftover QEW rinse water. Blech!

The real test, at least to me, will come over time. I`m curious which lasts longer, or really, if they both last a long time. And I`m curious about the appearance differences as I see the car in more different situations. I`ll let you know how it goes.

Perfectionist in Rehab Prometheus's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Very interestering, good test though. I will definately be looking forward to the results!

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, Aurora.

May I ask the price difference? I know the Blitz, but what does the Mirror Glz run?

Thanks, Rob
    Robert and Susan Regan

Towel Pros Microfiber

Post Thanks / Like
    YUP, they both look the same.

I would like to see tests between $20 waxes and $60 waxes.

Ill bet there isnt much difference.

Brazilian caranuba is braz. caranuba right?

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Rob,

Meguiar`s #16 is an 11 ounce tin that they sell for $12.99. The Blitz is the 10 oz tin that I got for $15.25. That makes the Blitz about 29% more per ounce, but I think for some of us, a $2.25 price difference isn`t really a big factor. Even the 15 ounce is 24% more per ounce than #16.

Post Thanks / Like
    Cool review. It is hard to see too great a difference from the photos.
    Lee
    ES330 in Millenium Silver

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by JBM

YUP, they both look the same.

I would like to see tests between $20 waxes and $60 waxes.

Ill bet there isnt much difference.

Brazilian caranuba is braz. caranuba right?
    Carnauba is but one ingredient in a wax. None of my waxes can run with Souveran in my opinion when it comes to depth of color on my red car. Of course the difference is subtle, and there are compromises to durability with Souveran, not to mention a big compromise in cost (you can buy a lot of detailing products for $60).

That`s kind of like saying acrylic is acrylic, but AIO, SG, Liquid Glass, etc are all very different products. Or saying paint is paint, it`s pretty much all urethane. Or silicone is silicone, but a silicone QD and a silicone tire shine are pretty different.

I suppose if it weren`t winter I could half and half the car with some Souveran, though green isn`t really the color to do that on. I`d also be curious about Blitz vs #26, though if Blitz hangs with the #16 in durability, that`s an advantage it would have over #26.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by SilverLexus

Cool review. It is hard to see too great a difference from the photos.
    I can`t see one either in person, except a slight one on the mirror housings. I think in other lighting conditions I might start to see some kind of difference, if there is one. I`m curious about things like beading and stuff too, it`s always weird to see those 1/2 and 1/2 differences, almost freaky.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey this is better than guru reports! You put it on the same type of paint and same type of panels!

Post Thanks / Like
    hey hey, deer whistles - i just heard about those on a radio talk show this weekend. we don`t have many deer running the streets of los angeles.

Post Thanks / Like
    That`s kind of like saying acrylic is acrylic, but AIO, SG, Liquid Glass, etc are all very different products. Or saying paint is paint, it`s pretty much all urethane. Or silicone is silicone, but a silicone QD and a silicone tire shine are pretty different."

Ya your right

I bought a tin of Souveran and put it on my wite car and my light blue metallic car. Looked good, but not $60 good.

Wrong colors for that i imagine lol.

Live and learn

Post Thanks / Like
    The 15oz was around $19.95, but OG raised the rate to dealers late last year. I had to go a little higher which pushed the per oz. up a bit. As you noticed, even with a 10oz can I bet you could wax your car numerous times in its current condition. In talking with OG, they stress to so many bargain hunters that when pricing per oz. charges, you have to also figure in how much you use per use. There are a few product suppliers in our area, one right across the St. from OG, that sell dressings and so forth for much less (especially the dressing). Detailers will tell OG and sometimes myself that they can get a gallon of dressing for about $18 and that OG`s ERV is $29.95 (detailer price). However, they don`t seem to take into effect quality and amount needed per application. There are great products out there with similar results. I bet Souveran, with good paint, uses less product per application than many of its competitors. Thus, it is not as much per oz as one might think. The pricetag is just part of the product cost. How much you need to use per application is another factor.

Your tests are fun to read about and I look forward to the durability results.

Rob
    Robert and Susan Regan

Towel Pros Microfiber

Detailing Rottweiler 1 Clean WS6's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Excellent comparison and review Bob!! Many thanks!!
    Mike
    Sweating the Details Mobile Detailing Service
    Owner/Operator

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information