Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    I was thinking the same thing. Is the bulk #1 Yellow Carnauba the same as the pure Carnauba touted by the leading waxes? Can someone knowledgeable confirm this?

If so, I`ve found pure flakes for sale as cheaply as $8 a pound. Adding some to S100 would surely produce a more durable wax, though it would compromise its ease of use a bit.

Post Thanks / Like
    I suspect that waxes are more than just the sum of their ingredients. Not unlike food. You and I can cook up the same ingredients, but mine might taste like crap and yours might be awesome. So wax plus more carnauba is unlikely to yield the secret formula to Zymol Vintage or something. Really, all that matters though is that you like what you end up with.

It would be interesting to see some longer term results, and also some comparos of the hybrid product to the two originals. It`s a neat idea though.

I would suggest you use a double boiler too, but maybe boil water in a pot, and melt the wax in a small plastic cup. That way you can keep it in the cup, not ruin a pan, not worry about contamination from previous melted products or the soup you made last week, etc. Plus you could make smaller batches. It would seem kind of a shame to melt a whole brick of $70 Souveran and end up with something that sucked. Plus you could control the ratio more instead of just whatever size the thing came in.

You all got me thinking a little about melting some Blitz and #16 together. They both sound to be durable (haven`t tried the Blitz) but I`ve heard Blitz can be a bit dust-attracting.

I do think it`s funny that someone suggesting mixing liquids is a bad idea, but somehow melting solids together is ok. It seems to me both are of the same idea, I mean both are made of numerous different chemicals and carriers and such. Anyway, cool idea. It`s even cooler that it mixed together well. I`d be worried there might be some separation while it cooled or something.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am willing to trade someone near me something for a sample of some kind of durable insulator wax (Collinite). I think the durability from this mixed with something like Natty`s or S100 would make an excellent topper.

If noone in the VA area has Collnite, where/for how much can I buy it?
    -Glenn Jr.

There is always room to learn.

Post Thanks / Like
    I suspect that waxes are more than just the sum of their ingredients. Not unlike food. You and I can cook up the same ingredients, but mine might taste like crap and yours might be awesome. So wax plus more carnauba is unlikely to yield the secret formula to Zymol Vintage or something.

I agree with this. Nonetheless, it should be true that taking an already useable, soft wax like S100 and blending it with pure carnauba would almost certainly produce a good and harder wax. It wouldn`t be Zymol Vintage. On the other hand, those guys tout waxes which are 60% Carnauba, and on previous threads no one could find commercially available "white" Carnauba that was different than the best light yellow #1 Carnauba. So maybe Zymol has access to some secret hoard of Carnauba that no one else in the universe can buy or even find, but otherwise I`ll just assume it`s very good pure Carnauba which usually costs less than $10-$20 a pound in bulk form. (Unless of course someone has objective evidence or a link suggesting otherwise.)

Regardless, I don`t want to get anyone off track.

I just thought -- given the easy mixing of #16 and s100. Surely adding pure Carnauba to S100 would work -- though it might not be an improvement -- since woodworkers blend their own polishing waxes all the time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Most excellent thread! You goota love this stuff.:up

Now the pots used for the experiment are permanently sealed. They are ready for their own infomercial.:lol

I recently mixed up a one step that I am testing now. The ingredients are as follows:

50% Collinite #845 IW

25% 4* UPC

25 % HT Light Cut

Call it a winter one step or whatever. It removes, cleans, and protects. It seems to be performing very well so far after a month since application on a daily beater.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by jvcn

I agree with this. Nonetheless, it should be true that taking an already useable, soft wax like S100 and blending it with pure carnauba would almost certainly produce a good and harder wax. It wouldn`t be Zymol Vintage. On the other hand, those guys tout waxes which are 60% Carnauba, and on previous threads no one could find commercially available "white" Carnauba that was different than the best light yellow #1 Carnauba. So maybe Zymol has access to some secret hoard of Carnauba that no one else in the universe can buy or even find, but otherwise I`ll just assume it`s very good pure Carnauba which usually costs less than $10-$20 a pound in bulk form. (Unless of course someone has objective evidence or a link suggesting otherwise.)

Regardless, I don`t want to get anyone off track.

I just thought -- given the easy mixing of #16 and s100. Surely adding pure Carnauba to S100 would work -- though it might not be an improvement -- since woodworkers blend their own polishing waxes all the time.
    Blending in more carnauba may or may not add durability. It might dilute whatever polymers are added in to modify the durability of the base wax. Who knows. Zymol`s waxes don`t tend to be known for their durability, though I`ve never used any of them. Anyway, it`s not like I know what will happen. I`m just saying it may not be better. Only one way to find out, though...

Post Thanks / Like
    One more caveat. The more "natural" wax-heavy pastes should be safer to blend. Many of the petroleum heavy liquids might be miscible but shouldn`t be heated.

Heat + Petroleum smelling products = ??? Fewer Autopians?

:nixweiss

Post Thanks / Like
    What a cool thread. I never thought of mixing solids before, although I have mixed liquids. PLease keep us posted on all of your results.

I think the plastic cup in the boiling water is a great idea, you can make smaller batches in case things go awry. PLus using small chucks you could measure them on a kitchen scale to ensure repeatability.

Post Thanks / Like
    That`s it!!! I gave in to temptation.

I was totally bored and assigned to helping with the laundry.

It`s snowing outside and I`m trying to avoid doing serious work/work. So while waiting for the clothes to dry I took an ounce of leftover old Gold Class I was prepared to throw away, mixed with a couple ounces of Eagle Nanowax, some UPP, some #9 and a bit of WAUD. Why? No reason. I wasn`t impressed by either GC or Nano and was prepared to throw them away, but then...

Anyway I used the mixture (latte with extra milk looking) to polish our white washing machine. I will say that it was a lot easier to apply and buff off than GC or Nano by itself.

Durability? You`ve gotta be kidding.

Nothing to compare it with. But I think the wife is going to be surprised when she heads to the basement.

File this under the Idle Hands column...:lol

Post Thanks / Like
    Well now I know what I will do with my signature series....

I had no use for a wax that wasn`t very durable.

Post Thanks / Like
    I can`t believe I didn`t catch this post earlier. You guys are cracking me up! :up

Post Thanks / Like
    I just waxed my car with some Snatty`s #1600. To say the paint looks wet would be a serious understatement.

I prepped by polishing (polishing pads for both) with Vanilla Moose then AIO and finished it off with a blend of #16, S100 and Nattys. I`d say the ratio was 40% S100, 40% #16 and 20% Natty`s.

I took a couple pics, they may or may not end up too dark (it was about 30 minutes before sundown and I was in the shade) so I`ll take a couple more tomorrow.

Thanks for the idea, Chris! :wavey
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    This is great! Many will really have "SECRET RECIPES!" LOL
    Chris Pace,

eShine Canada

Post Thanks / Like
    2005: The year of the "Franken-Nubas"......

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by RCBuddha

I only have S100/Natty`s! Better re-melt and add some #16!!!!!

2005: The year of the "Franken-Nubas"......

Eshine has P16S, Scott has Snatty`s #1600, and I have N100......Whose up for some Meguiar`s #42 (26 and 16 together)?

Did you try your N100 yet? How did it work out? I should have brokeke up the #16 and P21S and only used half of each! LOL. I want to do more mixing. I have always had a hard time deciding between #16 and P21S, I feel so at peace knowing I can use P16S now! LOL
    Chris Pace,

eShine Canada

Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 LastLast

Thread Information