Post Thanks / Like
    Well I completed the full detail of my car yesterday, polished out by PC (gotta get a rotary but thats a topic fer a `nother thread) PWC and EX-P x2. Lexol for the leather and 303 on all the door seals etc.

I had planned to top it with Collinite 476 for the winter like last year but for some reason I reached for #16 instead. Maybe it was because I still hadn`t used #16 on the Lexus, who knows.

Anyways anybody want to theorize as to how the #16 will hold up through the winter compared to the 476? The 476 held up pretty well and lasted until march even after being run through touchless washes (which I`m going to *try* not to do this year). The #16 is easily as heavy to put on so I`m hoping it will last similarly...

Post Thanks / Like
    In my experience the #16 won`t last as long as the 476S. Maybe 66-75% as long, if I had to put a number on it (used them both as winter waxes on the Volvo wagon we used to have).

I`d just top the #16 with the 476S after the next wash. I`m thinking of doing that on Accumulatorette`s A8 but I think she`d notice the difference in appearance

Oh, and if it`s between the touchless and no wash at all, I`d do the touchless myself. These "self cleaning" waxes will do OK with it, at least for a while.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have UPPx2 and #16 x2 (I applied UPP again on top to bring back the slickness but who knows if it actually bonded properly) on my car for winter. So far it still beads very well and looks quite nice. It`s been about 3 weeks now since the #16 went on and it`s still going strong.
    Paul...

`13 Mazda3i P21S/WG sealant/Paste Glaz/QD+
    `99 Mazda Protege LX - highlight silver - RIP
    `95 Nissan Maxima SE - white - slathered with Pinnacle Paste Glaz - RIP

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m hoping to be able to wash it myself now that I have the QEW. I didnt have it until the end of the winter last year.

Hmm, not as long huh? But the #16 looks so good!

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Accumulator

In my experience the #16 won`t last as long as the 476S. Maybe 66-75% as long, if I had to put a number on it (used them both as winter waxes on the Volvo wagon we used to have).

I`d just top the #16 with the 476S after the next wash. I`m thinking of doing that on Accumulatorette`s A8 but I think she`d notice the difference in appearance

Oh, and if it`s between the touchless and no wash at all, I`d do the touchless myself. These "self cleaning" waxes will do OK with it, at least for a while.

How do you compare the appearance of #16 compared to the 476S? How would you compare them both in general (beading, durability, etc)? I was personally impressed by the 476 look. It reputation for durability seems to be true. I did my wife`s minivan on Saturday with 476 for fun. Looked great, but on sunday it was quite dusty. A quick rundown with a hose and it was clean again. I have not seen a product bead like the 476S.... I am a new fan of collinite!

Alex

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by AlexRuiz

How do you compare the appearance of #16 compared to the 476S? How would you compare them both in general (beading, durability, etc)? I was personally impressed by the 476 look.

The #16 looks a little better IMO, more gloss and depth, but it`s always hard to describe subtle differences in appearance. IMO if you`re happy with how 476S looks (and I like how it looks too) I wouldn`t bother trying #16. The #16 beads much like 476S but not quite as well and not as long. Durability-wise, no carnauba I know of can match 476S.

Post Thanks / Like
    Steve, you can always apply additional coats of #16. Just a thought - hopefully we`ll have a very mild winter.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by GoodnClean

Hmm, not as long huh? But the #16 looks so good!

Why not apply 476s for it`s durability and top with #16 for the look. You get the best of both products.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by stevet

Why not apply 476s for it`s durability and top with #16 for the look. You get the best of both products.

:xyxthumbs

Or just put on 2-3 layers of #16.
    Paul...

`13 Mazda3i P21S/WG sealant/Paste Glaz/QD+
    `99 Mazda Protege LX - highlight silver - RIP
    `95 Nissan Maxima SE - white - slathered with Pinnacle Paste Glaz - RIP

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by White95Max

:xyxthumbs

Or just put on 2-3 layers of #16.

I`ve noticed that 2 coats of #16 really makes it last alot longer. Right now I`ve got NXTX1, #16x2. Only been on for about 3 weeks, but it looks great.
    I eat Vegans

Post Thanks / Like
    If you like the look of #16, I`d just add another layer in a week.

We have mostly mild winters here and #16 really holds up well.
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    I got 2 months out of it before the beading started to get too big to considering "beads" anymore.

So I put on some liquid souveran.

Post Thanks / Like
    LOL, #16 is too much work for me to consider putting on more and more coats. I applied it with the PC this time like I do 476 and it was easier, but its not S100 by any stretch of the imagination. I could probably put on one more coat though, maybe I`ll give that a try.

The winters here are really a toss up. Last year we had a lot of snow, the year before not a lot. Supposedly its supposed to stay warm through December (its been in the 50s here solid) and then get REALLY cold in January and Feb where we`ll see some real snow. I don`t drive the Lexus in the snow but the roads stay messy here for weeks after a snow.

So I`ve gots some more time to get it right before the nasties come!

I also use WAUD during every QEW session which seems to stretch my durability. I got 4 months of good beading and look out of Wolfgang on the car and similar distances on my fiance`s Prius with EX-P that sits out all the time using WAUD. Maybe that`ll make a difference.

Post Thanks / Like
    I use WAUD (diluted 50% w/#34) also. It sure makes drying alot easier and leaves great gloss, but I don`t think it really adds to my durability. After one rain or snow it seems to be washed away, and the amazing beads it produced are gone.

It still a great product. It really helps my dry, especially if the water is hard. I just spray on a WW, then wipe the surface. Absoletly no streaks at all.
    I eat Vegans

Post Thanks / Like
    The full form (I spray it on the wet panel before I wipe it dry) seems to hang on through at least a couple rainstorms. My thinking is it may act as a sacrificial layer sparing the actual protectant from wearing away with whatever rain etc. It would be an interesting test to do, two cars each waxed with the same product driven in the same manner. One washed weekly one washed weekly and WAUD`d and see what lasts longer. I`d bet the WAUD does at least something to add to the durability.

I actually think that you could use WAUD as your only protectant as long as you use it once a week.

Thread Information