Post Thanks / Like
    Got this van this summer and want to start making up a list of products for next spring/summer

http://autopia.org/forums/showthread...ighlight=black

There is a link for pics from this past summer. Has anyone done any Chrysler Brilliant Black finishes before? If so, what have you determined to be the best combo? With all the flake, it does not currently have much depth.

I will be getting a PC in the spring, and can get any Megiuars products local, but can also order online.

Currently have mothers Clay Bar, Meg`s #7, gold class wax and NXT wax and 3M SMR.

I can probably wax once a month, so most things should last fine.

As the link says, the pics of the van only have nxt on it
    2004 Chrysler T&C Platinum Series - Brilliant Black

2009 Hyundai Sonata - Black

Post Thanks / Like
    You need some Poorboys Natural Look or Bold and Bright for tires and trim

Poorboys spray and wipe for quick washing along with some QEW

Menz IP for swirls or Poorboys SSR 2.5

Get yourself some Klasse AIO and SG

Klasse AIO 1x SG 3x

4 Star UPP

Nattys Paste Wax

303 Aerospace for the interior

Eagle 1 A2Z for rims and EO tire cleaner.

All I can think of right now plus my ride to lunch is here!

The Old Grey Whistle Test togwt's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    ~One manÃâ‚â„s opinion / observations~

Product Choices:

What are the criteria used to choose one product over another?

1.Aesthetic value (How does a product Ãâ‚ËœlookÃâ‚â„ on a particular colour paint)

2.Ease of application (Is it easy to apply, does the residue buff off easily)

3.Durability (How long will a product last and go on proving protection)

The aesthetics of a vehicles appearance is very subjective to say the least (beauty is after all in the Ãâ‚ËœguyÃâ‚â„ of the beholder) the only best Wax or Sealant that really matters is what looks `best` to you. It really does all come down to; 85% preparation, 5% product 7% application methodology and the balance is in the Ãâ‚ËœguyÃâ‚â„ of the beholder.

Ease of application and durability are both very easily researched through either product use experience or detailing forums like this one. A manufacturer is free to place any claim of excellence he wants on his product to make it sell, judge products on their merits rather than personal preference, brand loyalty or emotions.

Finally-Ãâ‚Å“ ItÃâ‚â„s the surface preparation that makes the most difference, not the productÃâ‚Â.

~Hope this helps~

Knowledge unshared is experience wasted [each one / teach one]

justadumbarchitect / so I question everything/ JonM
    What gets overlooked too often is that one must be a student before becoming a teacher.

Perfectionist in Rehab Prometheus's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I really like Meg`s #16, but im told that Poorboys EX and EX-P look really good on flake finishes. I think any of the three would look great. Best advice, experiment and see what you like

Post Thanks / Like
    My 2 cents: First use some detailing clay to remove the overspray. Then if you have some paint defects polish them out with your PC. Depending on how severe they are you could use Meg`s DACP (#83) or #80. Another good choice is 3M PI III RC (rubbing compound) followed by PI III MG (machine glaze).

Start out with either #80 or the MG and then step up to #83 or RC if needed. There are other polishes that will work well also (i.e. 1Z, Menzerna, Pooyboy`s, etc.), it sort of boils down to personal preference.

Geez, there are a ton of LSP combos you can try also, and youÃâ‚â„ll get flooded with suggestions so hereÃâ‚â„s mine. If you like the look of NXT you can stay with that and then try topping it with various carnauba waxes. You could try Souveran paste which looks great on dark colors. Another combo that * I * like is VM (Vanilla Moose) topped with PoorboyÃâ‚â„s EX or EX-P. Many say EX looks better on dark colors, but I also like the look of EX-P on a color with a lot of flake like you have. From there you can also top with a carnauba if desired.

You should probably spend some time reading and looking at pictures that members post on here to help you decide on products. After youÃâ‚â„ve made some choices (or at least narrowed them down) post back for some application tips.
    John

Post Thanks / Like
    Why don`t you wait and see what the new Mother`s stuff is like and maybe even the new Meg`s stuff as well?
    A man who works with his hands is a laborer, A man who works with his hands and brain is a craftsman; but a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an Artist.-Louis Nizer

Post Thanks / Like
    Some products I like:

VM

CMW

PwC

EX

S100

Last Touch

Adam`s VRT

Adam`s Butter Wax

Adam`s QD

Quik Shine QD

Showtime QD

Tropi-Care Polish

Tropi-Care Tire/Rubber Dressing

Tropi-Care Car Wash

Tropi-Care Detail Spray

PBs Natural Look

NXT Wash

Post Thanks / Like
    What do you want appearance-wise? Do you want the van to look blacker and deeper or do you want to accentuate the metallic?

I`d start with #80 and a polishing pad to clean the paint up after the winter. #80 should take care of any light to moderate defects you may develop and it will leave the paint wet looking with noticable depth. At that point, you can tailor your glaze and LSP for either more depth or to emphasise the metallic.

Depth I`d go with Meguiars #81 Hand Polish or #3 Machine Glaze or if you want to try something different, Clearkote`s Vanilla Moose or if it is available, Yellow Wax (not sure if that will be the name, it is meant as a final very wet looking glaze) and apply any of the 4 with a polishing pad. For your wax/sealant I`d suggest Carnauba Moose or Meguiars #26. Both will slightly darken the paint and have good depth. Pinnacle Souveran is also nice but the other two are more durable. Poorboy`s EX w/carnauba if you want a deep looking sealant.

This is #80, and Clearkote`s Yellow Wax and Carnauba Moose on a metallic black similar to your paint. No sun that day, but you can see it has a nice, deep wet look to it.

Metallic Pop-Clearkote`s Vanilla Moose or Poorboy`s Polish w/carnauba with a polishing pad, the top with Poorboy`s EX-P, Natty`s Paste, Meguiars #16 or 4* UPP. You may also like the Klasse twins but on black, SG seems to leave a silvery sheen to the paint when viewed at an angle. You may like it, you may not.
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    OK, I`m looking to get a blacker, deeper look. Hide the metallic as much as possible. I know I could start experimenting, but funds will be limited, so I really need a final solution. Was hoping someone maybe already worked on my type of paint color and had some good combo`s.

I know prep is key and I think I have that down. Guess what I really need is what topper`s to get a deep, dark finish.

Thanks for your recomendations Scott!
    2004 Chrysler T&C Platinum Series - Brilliant Black

2009 Hyundai Sonata - Black

Post Thanks / Like
    Get your PC. Sonus Clay. Sonus Paint cleaner, Sonus SFX Polishes and pads. Klasse AIO and SG. P21S Carnuba wax.

I`m telling you Klasse Sealent Glaze is the best for black! The Sonus SFX Polishes are the shiz with the PC. I did a `03 Black Eclipse and it surprised me the ez of the product and for bad it was I only had to use 2 and 3. Leave the SG on in the garage out of the elements for 24 hrs. then buff off with MF Bonnett. Then do another coat like that. Put a coat of P21S every month and your set. Do that every 5 or 6 mnths and your set. My digital camera isn`t working or I would post pics.
    Long Live My Audi. She Will Dearly Be missed.

Visit My Gallery if you wish!

Post Thanks / Like
    3M PI III MG

Klasse AIO

4* UPP

Pinnacle Souveran

NXT Tech Protectant for the engine bay

Definitely get a PC, and pick up at least 2 polishing pads, 2 finishing pads, and at least 1 cutting pad.

For wheels, I like P21S wheel cleaner because it`s good to use on any type of wheel and works well.

For interior fabric cleaning I like Autoglym Interior Shampoo and OxiClean. Here`s a pic of my driver`s seat after cleaning half of it:

Paul...

`13 Mazda3i P21S/WG sealant/Paste Glaz/QD+
    `99 Mazda Protege LX - highlight silver - RIP
    `95 Nissan Maxima SE - white - slathered with Pinnacle Paste Glaz - RIP

Thread Information