Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    This isn`t exactly a review...

Tonight, I got my order of Zaino products (ZFX, Z5, Z6, etc). Out of curiosity, I grabbed the Z6 Detailing Spray and sprayed it on my wife`s car`s hood (bright red `05 Subaru Forester). After wiping and buffing with a clean MF, the surface was nice and slick. And, the shine was very nice.

Here`s the odd part - the protectant on her car is Menzerna FMJ!

FMJ is an excellent product, looks great on a bright red car, and is nice and slick. But it has two drawbacks. First, it doesn`t look quite as good on my Dolphin Gray Audi. (I`m not sure why.) Second, Menzerna doesn`t offer a detailing spray.

So to address the Audi issue, I purchased the Zaino stuff. To have a detail spray, I stopped by a local parts supply house and bought a large bottle of Meguiers detail spray.

Anyway, back to my story...

So I stood there rubbing the Z6 detailed area. Then I thought, "Hmm... I wonder how this compares to the Mequiers stuff?" So I sprayed and buffed an area next to the Zaino Z6 area. Both looked nice. Both looked shiny. But the Zaino was smoother and slicker! It had less drag.

So I repeated the test on another hood section. Same result. Then I went back to the first section and repeated the test on top of the original sprayed areas. Oddly, the Zaino area seemed to get a bit slicker, while the Mequiers didn`t change much.

Obviously, this isn`t a raving endorsement for Zaino. I still need to go through the whole Zaino prep and protect process, and I`m a complete newbie with Zaino products. Nevertheless, I`m off to a (modestly) good start with Zaino. I`m pleased so far.

Has anyone else compared Zaino Z6 to another detailing spray?

Regards,

Dan.

Post Thanks / Like
    Zaino Z6 is a very nice product. Meguiar`s Wipe & Shine is somewhat different as far as purpose goes...it`s not so much of a gloss enhancing QD.

Some QD`s comparable to Z6 is Wolfgang and QuikShine.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think Meguiars best quick detailing spray is the Last Touch Spray Detailer. It produces even more gloss than the consumer Quik Detailer. One thing to also keep in mind is that Z6 is not just a quick detailer, it is also a booster. It does a bit more than just a straight quick detailer. Unfortunately it is also quite a bit more expensive.

Post Thanks / Like
    BookemDano .. one thing you might like to try is diluting the Z6 with distilled water. This will make the bottle go further and IMHO make it a little easier to work with (I`m in the South, everything dries quickly here).

Some Zaino guys here at Autopia dilute Z6 1:1 with distilled water, I`m happier just diluting the Z6 at a ratio of 2:1 with distilled water.

You might want to try this at some time, see if you like it
    Later ......

Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by RedondoV6

BookemDano .. one thing you might like to try is diluting the Z6 with distilled water. This will make the bottle go further and IMHO make it a little easier to work with (I`m in the South, everything dries quickly here).

Some Zaino guys here at Autopia dilute Z6 1:1 with distilled water, I`m happier just diluting the Z6 at a ratio of 2:1 with distilled water.

You might want to try this at some time, see if you like it

I`ll give it a try. One thing though, here in the damp Seattle area, we don`t worry about things drying out too fast.

Tonight, I checked my wife`s Subie again. The portion of the hood that had not been Z6`d was a bit dusty. The Z6 portionwas pretty much dust free. I`m trying to maintain my perspective about Zaino products, but it`s getting tougher. If the protectants (Z2 and Z5) are anywhere near as good as Z6, I`ll turn into a Zaino fan-boy. :scared

Regards,

Dan.

p.s., one thing I do NOT like about Z6 is the spray bottle. The sprayer is not that great. I purchased a nice little spray bottle from a local "Storables" store and transferred the Z6 to that. Now, I can spray a very fine mist on a panel.

Post Thanks / Like
    I use Z6 when doing Z2 orZ5. But after regular washing, I use Meg`s FI or Mothers Showtime. I picked up a 20oz of Showtime not too long ago for $5. I`m really impressed for such a cheap QD. It also seems easier to use than FI for some reason.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by BookemDano

..... p.s., one thing I do NOT like about Z6 is the spray bottle. The sprayer is not that great. I purchased a nice little spray bottle from a local "Storables" store and transferred the Z6 to that. Now, I can spray a very fine mist on a panel.

Yep! I found the same thing. It really irritates me when the container a product comes in does not get the job done and the Z6 spray bottle is marginal IMHO. I have real difficulty in getting a good spray pattern from the Z6 bottle however I adjust the spray nozzle.

One work around, which has now become my preferred way of applying QD`s is to spray the Z6 on the MF, not the paint. I`ve even sprayed Z6 on a MF bonnet on my PC and finished the application of Z2 with a Z6 "polishing". Seems to work well for me.

Good luck! Let us know how you get on.
    Later ......

Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Bookemdano, be sure to post pics of your Zaino`d or FMJ`d Dolphin Gray. I`ve Klassed mine, but I`m not satisfied `cause there`s no depth. I have some P21s coming so perhaps it won`t be a problem for much longer.

Post Thanks / Like
    Using a pump cooking oil type spray bottle from Wal Mart is a favorite technique of mine for QD and tire dressing :up
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like
    Z6 is by far and away my favorite QD. I just wish that "pop" would last a bit longer

Post Thanks / Like
    My favorite qd is pinnacle crystal mist. It doesn`t spread as easy as the other qd`s i`ve tried but it produces the best result on my black car. I also like meguiars FD but it attracts more dust than crystal mist.

Post Thanks / Like
    Z6 is an excellent product. Currently I have been hooked on using 1Z`s Lackfinish. Also an excellent product. I wish there was a good comparison (side to side) of the 1Z and zaino products because they are so similar (unfortunately I don`t have any Z6 left or I would do one). Anyone done one or know of a such a write up?

Post Thanks / Like
    Z6 and 1Z Lackfinish (diluted) are both excellent Qd`s. LF undiluted is more of a quick sealant than a QD IMHO.

Z6 has a brighter appearance than LF and both really augments a depth (created by a good Prep) and wetness of the sealant used.

FD is really great for that carnuaba apperance when used with a sealant. Let`s not forget Sonus Spritz. Works great with Klasse. :xyxthumbs

Crystal Mist is more of a spray wax than a QD but is also a nice brilliant producing product. Smell great also.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by blkZ28Conv

Z6 and 1Z Lackfinish (diluted) are both excellent Qd`s. LF undiluted is more of a quick sealant than a QD IMHO.

How far do you dilute Lackfinish when using as a QD? Can you estimate how much more of a booster/protective layer Lackfinish lays down compared to Z6?

You can see where I am going with this (reaching for credit card) :lol
    Later ......

Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by RedondoV6

How far do you dilute Lackfinish when using as a QD? Can you estimate how much more of a booster/protective layer Lackfinish lays down compared to Z6?

You can see where I am going with this (reaching for credit card) :lol

I have diluted LF 80:20 with Meg`s FI from a suggestion from jgv who was nice enough to ship me a bottle before the US release. David B did a post about LF introduction to the Autopian Store a few months back (~April - May 04). Do a search and also look at his dilution suggestions. :xyxthumbs

LF is quite concentrated and it feels upon application almost like a diluted SG but buffs quite easily. Quite impressive. If used along with 1Z Perl on a well protected (waxed/sealed) vehicle one can easily just use this regimen for the winter re-enforcement of protection every month or 2. IMHO

LF can also be used full-strength in the same manner WAUD. The only drawback is that it will stain a dark colored vehicle if not wiped-off evenly and protection on paint is on its last leg.

I love Z6 (my favorite QD) but I do not think it really adds a measureable amount of protection to a Zaino`d surface. Z6 does enhance the look and probably help re-establish some cross-linking. This filling of "holes" is how I see Z6`s adding protection more so than adding a layer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information