Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    That Audi clear, let alone the 15year old one, makes the MG seem like it has basically no cut,(at least without a rotary, which when I practice with it, seems to eliminate light marring a lot quicker) yep it is always good to experiment around to see which following polish suits your needs best
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by JDookie

I wasn`t thinking that MG had any abrasive qualities to it at all. I think this is why I usually skip the MP step that you like to use, I just don`t see enough difference. Give me a scenario where you would use MG, if you don`t mind.

Well, the PI-III MG does have cut, it`s just pretty mild. It can *really* accomplish some things by rotary, and on not-too-hard paint it works well by PC/Cyclo/hand too. I was thinking earlier how it really is a good bit more aggressive than the 1z MP.

Back when I had the WRX, the PI-III MG was about all I ever used on it when I needed to remove marring (and I used that car year-round and washed it with a BHB, none too gently, either ). When I do the MPV (after a year of washes with the BHB and two years without polishing), I`ll probably do 90% of the work with the PI-III MG, and there`s no way that using something as mild as 1Z MP would accomplish anything significant.

The final pass with 1z MP is a pretty subtle improvement, but I find it so easy to do I always add that step when I`m using 1Z stuff. If you`re happy with the way PP leaves things, then sure, skip the MP.

But IMO you`d be missing out if you don`t get the PI-III MG because of a perceived similarity to 1Z MP.

Post Thanks / Like
    Accumulator,

Would something like this be accurate order?:

1ZPP, PI III MG, 1z MP

Post Thanks / Like
    I am thinking the same thing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Bill D

Accumulator,

Would something like this be accurate order?:

1ZPP, PI III MG, 1z MP

Yeah, I`d put them in that order (not that I`d *use* them in that order- no need for MG between the two 1z products).

Something I get good results with is to use 3M PI-III RC (05933) by rotary (usually with first a cutting, then a polishing pad), then the PI-III MG by rotary (polishing pad). Note that these products don`t have fillers/waxes, so what I see is what I have (without any alcohol wipedowns). Then I go *back up the abrasiveness scale* using the PP with the *Cyclo* (green polishing pads), then MP with either the Cyclo or the PC (usually with a finishing pad).

It`s a lot of steps, and more than many with more rotary experience/skill would need to do. But I don`t get any problems like holograms (and I don`t have to pull the vehicle into the sun to check for them) and the resulting finish looks good to me. This is what I used on the S8 after the deer-incident repairs and more recently on the `84 Volvo. I`ll note that on the Volvo I chickened out long before I removed all the marring....even the 05933/cutting pad/1750 rpms wasn`t getting it all out. I did a few spots with the Extra Cut, which worked, but I just didn`t feel comfortable taking off so much paint and scouring the finish so badly.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hmm, I don`t use a rotary so I wonder if I would see the same results you are by only using a PC? The thing that keeps popping in my head here is if I already have 1Z UPP, PP, and MP do I even need to bother with these 3M products at all? I just fell in love with the 3M PI II RC when I first used it on my mother`s black Mercedes, but maybe I would have seen the very same results using UPP. Since 3M MG is so close to PP and MP and I`m not using a rotary I`m wondering if I`m going to ever use it.

Post Thanks / Like
    JDookie- You certainly *do* have a point there. I like the MG by hand/PC/Cyclo, primarily because of the way it fits between the PP (sorta strong) and the MP (very mild)- it`s not like you *need* a rotary to make good use of it (when I used it on the WRX and when I use it on the MPV I didn`t/don`t use the rotary). But if you can do the job with the MP you probably don`t need the 3M stuff. I just don`t like using the PP all the time and sometimes I want something that doesn`t require an alcohol wipedown to remove what the 1Z stuff leaves behind.

But it`s not like you can`t do fine with just the three 1z polishes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here`s a question maybe some Menzera and 3m users can answer:

Where would Menzerna FP fit in with relation to 3m PI III MG?

It sounds to me it ought to follow the MG. If that`s so I assume the 1z MP would be unnecessary.

Any takers on this one? Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Bill D

Where would Menzerna FP fit in with relation to 3m PI III MG?

It sounds to me it ought to follow the MG. If that`s so I assume the 1z MP would be unnecessary.

Any takers on this one? Thanks.

Yeah, the FP is milder than the MG and is comparable to the MP. I know at least one Autopian uses FP after MP as a final polishing step, in part to remove what the MP leaves behind. I tried this, but didn`t discern any benefit on Audi clear. I`d pick one or the other, either Menzerna FP or 1z MP.

Post Thanks / Like
    He he, as you know, I have both I`m finding one or the other is going to be the companion to my lonely GEPC, never used.

Post Thanks / Like
    Poor us, so many great products with so little time to use them! :lol

Post Thanks / Like
    Okay, I have a new 3M question. I was just looking at the 3M website again and there are just as many different glazes as there are compounds.

Accumulator mentioned liking 05937 the best, but what is the difference between that and the Show Car Machine Glaze 39012?

Post Thanks / Like
    Accumulator mentioned liking 05937 the best, but what is the difference between that and the Show Car Machine Glaze 39012? [/B][/QUOTE]

They are the same product. 39012 is a 16oz bottle and 05937 is a 32oz bottle. They are both Perfect it III Machine Glaze.

Post Thanks / Like
    Would PI III FG (05941) be a good product to maybe follow MG (05937) with?

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by JDookie

Would PI III FG (05941) be a good product to maybe follow MG (05937) with?

I think I mentioned this before, but it was lost because of the system crash.

PI III FG is really made to be used over fresh paint. A 3M demo guy mentioned that it offers protection while letting the paint cure, he also said it would hold up for about 3 car washes.

In the 3M brochure of products/steps the final step is 3M PI Show Car Paste Wax for fully cured paint or PI III FG for fresh paint.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information