Thread: Bird poop!

Post Thanks / Like
    Don`t hate me for saying this, but before I was a newbie, and didn`t know enough about auto detailing to fill the head of a pin. I used 5 star shine on my new BMW. I was living in CO at the time, the geese at work would gather on the roof. Not a day went by in late Sept, early Oct that after work I wouldn`t find goose dropping on my new car. I would go home and immediately run water from the hose over the crap and it would immediately and completely float off any part of the car covered with 5 star shine. No lie! This is what sold me on the product along with advertisement about the Navy. I`m here to ask you what the heck is in 5 star shine that can do that? I don`t use the stuff any longer because I`m hook line and sinker into this site and none of the experts here believe in it. I`m using the Klasse twins and Pinnacle right now and love the look, but have since moved to the south and no longer have any bird problems, insects are another story. I`m thinking I have another kit of 5 star sitting in my closet. I would be willing to trade it to one of the recognized people (like Scottwax or Bill D) to do a test of some kind on half a hood or something, to see how it holds up, not how it shines!

Please email me if you`re interested.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m very uncomfortable experimenting whether or not certain products hold up to bird crap better than others. I`ll just try to stick to getting rid of it as soon as possible. I think that`s the safest route to take. But thanks for your offer any way! :wavey
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like
    Bill, here`s an idea for you (or someone else): you could take one of your practice fenders, coat it with candidate sealants, and let it sit out under a tree. I read a post somewhere where someone took a hood and put a bunch of different waxes on it to see how they held up (to the weather)...it was some Zymol test at some make-specific site that I found in a Google search.

Post Thanks / Like
    Setec,

Yeah this is quite an interesting idea: You`d be surprised I only have: Klasse twins, p21s wax, a sample of NXT and a sample of Erazer ( rebranded acrylic, origin unknown) sealant.

There would be absolutely no telling when the test could be carried out in full or completed due to the wildly randomness of the bird crap hitting. I don`t know of any dedicated, bird crap "hot spots" (LOL!) around my property. It may be worth dioscussing further any way though.

Lets keeps things posted about this.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well....according to one theory...if it`s a freshly waxed surface, the birds will find it!

Post Thanks / Like
    It might be tough to prop those fenders up to mimick the height of how they would be on an acutal car ( if it matters too), then it`s starting to get to be more work than it`s worth, so I`m going to pass on trying it out. If someone with a junk car they don`t care about want to do the experiment, please don`t hesitate :up :wavey

Post Thanks / Like
    Though some won`t believe it, It`s the teflon in 5 Star Shine that makes it work like that. Glad to hear that it worked well on your BMW. As you rightly said, 5 Star isn`t for people who like to wax etc. It`s for those looking for longevity and ease of cleaning.

Post Thanks / Like
    I know of 4 Star but not 5 Star :nixweiss. So, you`re one star up on them ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Bill D

It might be tough to prop those fenders up to mimick the height of how they would be on an acutal car
    Shucks, Bill, I would just lay it on the lawn, orientation doesn`t matter. I have a good spot in my driveway....unless the birds just know my car...

Post Thanks / Like
    No thanks, to me just treating,cleaning and removing is always going to have to be done any way, following with a polish just seems like the next Autopian thing to do.

Post Thanks / Like
    You can never have enough stars. We just decided to `one-up` the 4 star....

Thread Information