Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Applied SSR1 with PC, wiped off fine

Applied UPP with PC, leaves smears/streaks when wiping off after 15 minutes

Came back 1/2 hr later, still leaves streaks

Wiped with QD, still leaves streaks

The thing is, these streaks slowly disappear over the course of a few minutes. I feel as if there are oils on the surface. Should I apply another layer of UPP and hope I dilute these oils out, or strip everything down with UPC and start over? Maybe next time I will apply UPP more slowly, to give it a chance to work into the surface.
    Close enough... They`ll never notice anyway

The Man Who Knows The Man
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don`t have SSR1, so I can`t comment with any certainty but, that combination of products may be the problem. I have only used UPP over AIO. If I were to choose a Poorboy`s product for use with UPP, I might select his Pro Polish. I do, in fact, have Pro Polish, so come to think of it I might try that combo myself.

Hopefully some others (maybe even Steve himself) will weigh in with other first hand experiences.

Founder Poorboy's World Poorboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    there should be no problem with the combo, but I have heard that certain versions of UPP may need a longer drying time.

You should probably check with PAC to see which version you have (1,2, or 3) or just let it dry longer. Also I`m not sure where you are located, but if it`s humid, the drying time should probably be extended.
    life is short ..do it while you can

e-mail info@poorboysworld.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, I *sometimes* get smearing with UPP depending on the conditions and how I apply it. I get the same thing with BF only much worse.

Applying the UPP by hand (and trying for KSG/Zaino-thin applications) and waiting as long as possible before buffing has worked best for me. And note that I *prefer* to apply by machine. The last time I put it over something (1Z MP, Pro version), I was careful to put it on as thin as I could and I did it by hand. Let it set up for two hours in a dehumidified garage. No smearing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Beanbag, I agree with you on the upp. It has nothing to do with ssr1, the upp in my experience does gum up sometimes, especially when a drop of water comes in contact with it. On the other hand, their paint cleaner is most effective. Gary

Post Thanks / Like
    It sounds as if I have just been extremely lucky. I haven`t had smearing issues with UPP (I don`t know which version I have). I apply with a moistened applicator, and I don`t leave it on for any extended period of time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mr. Clean- That`s interesting...if water gets anywhere near my UPP during application it makes for a problem, yet you can use a moist applicator Maybe you`re not just lucky...you know the old saying about "the better you are the luckier you seem"

Version-wise, I doubt you have v1.0, it was not at all durable (as in, one wash) and didn`t last long. V2.0 is sorta thick with a smell I found sorta neat. V3.0, which you probably have, is thinner and has a different smell (gee, *that`s* really a helpful description ) and (almost?) all of the bottles are labeled "4-Star" instead of "Platinum".

Post Thanks / Like
    I had smears the first time I used UPP. I tried doign it the same way I had been doing the AIO/SG that I used previously.

I discovered that the smearing occured for me when getting anything damp near the product for removal.

using a damp applicator didn`t seem to hurt (but I now use a dry one, seems to be better), but a damp MF for removal made a mess.

I just put another layer on, let it stand for about an hour, and it all buffed off easily with a dry MF.

I`ve also found that the "cure" time is improtant in my case. If I try to remove too soon (less than 45 minute to an hour, depending on humidity), it doesn`t come off as easily.

My test now is the standard "one spot swipe": I put my finger onthe MF, swipe across the panel with it, and if the product buffs off easily, it`s time to remove.

Blue skies,

Andrew

Post Thanks / Like
    Accumulator, as usual you manage to dole out just the right amount of info :up Base on your description, I must have the V.20 flavor as my bottle is labeled Platinum. I bought it at the end of last year as they cleared out the older labeled product.

Perhaps this version is easier to work with as I don`t do anything special during application or removal. Honestly didn`t know I needed to when I decided to try it. Each time I have used it, I have a) applied it over AIO b) used a moistened foam app (this seems the only way I can manage a thin application ) and c) due to time constraints have only allowed it to sit/set on the paint as long as it takes to apply to the entire vehicle. I haven`t experienced any removal issues.:nixweiss hook - I have never used damp mft for product removal

"the better you are the luckier you seem"

Yeah, I`ve heard that before as well as "luck favors the prepared", but I find this equally true...

"Sometimes it`s better to be lucky than good"

Of course, I would most prefer to be good and lucky

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Mr. Clean

..., I must have the V.20 flavor as my bottle is labeled Platinum. I bought it at the end of last year as they cleared out the older labeled product....[and] I find this equally true...

"Sometimes it`s better to be lucky than good"

Of course, I would most prefer to be good and lucky

Heh heh, and I bought the latest version of UPP because it`s supposed to be *easier* to work with Actually, the last few applications went fine, so maybe I just had to get the hang of it.

And "yeah" regarding lucky/good

Post Thanks / Like
    I have the newest version of UPP. It is thin and white. It `s very easy to apply and remove. I use a dry MF applicator and apply it very thin. I used AIO as a base. I let UPP sit for about 20 min after I have applied to the whole car. It buffs off no problem with a good quality MF.

I'm back YIPEE Refreshed! The Chee's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Same here, latest UPP . I used it the first time yesterday with UPC and buff it off after half an hour with pakshak`s mf..easy peesy lemon squeezee very slick and wet:xyxthumbs

Post Thanks / Like
    My UPP is the four star one so the latest version. It`s really runny and it states on the bottle to leave for at least 15 minutes, try 30 minutes and see how you go. It came off ultra easy for me. I bet however there are certain product combo`s that are not compatible , eg - poorboys ssr 2.5 & 3M IHG. I`ll be using meg`s smr after pb 2.5 from now on.

IHG and Magnum Top Gear N/S polish - another scuffer

All a matter of trial and error. very frustrating isn`t it
    Car care/detailing sadly isn`t high on the agenda for 98% of australians.

Post Thanks / Like
    OK, you guys have me all curious about whether I`ll notice a big difference between v2.0 and v3.0. Not that I plan on redoing the S8 for a little while (got other fish to fry ).

Post Thanks / Like
    re-applied UPP and still got light streaking, even after waiting ~2 hrs. So I can`t blame SSR1 anymore. Maybe UPP is like #7 where you have to wipe it off in multiple passes? Either that, or just wipe it once, and the streaks go away by themselves eventually anyway.
    Close enough... They`ll never notice anyway

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information