Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by BillNorth

zane,

I haven`t used the QD yet. I want to see how the sealant holds up on its own. When I use klasse I don`t use sonus, and am quite happy with the durability. I`m hoping WG can do the same thing for me.

Bill.

Bill-on the cars I am testing for Wolfgang durability, I used the QD on all surfaces every other wash, except for the roof. In all cases (usually using QEW), the QDed surfaces are slicker than the roof, but the roofs still have noticable slickness. I am past the 3 months mark now on a Lexus LS430 and it is still decently slick even before using the QD.
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    Brian,

I will test the QD out on a panel to see if it makes a difference. I`ll post back my results. But it will have to wait until next time I wash unfortunately.

Scott,

3 months with slickness is quite good. I wish I could explain the varying results people have gotten with this product. Who knows...

Bill.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by 4DSC

Sometimes with Klasse slickness would go down after it wore down a lot, but QDing it would bring quite a bit of it back. Maybe you should designate one small patch of paint as a QD area and see if that brings the slickness back?

I know that if you QD truly bare, waxless paint, it doesn`t improve it as much.... (at least in my experience).

When I put Wolfgang on the Aurora, I used the Wolf QD to wipe down the paint first to remove the buffing dust from DACP. It added an incredible slickness to what was basically bare paint. I bet you`ll find the QD will bring back all the slickness and more, though I`ve no idea how long it`ll stay that way.

Post Thanks / Like
    I just washed for the first time after one week of WG (WG Auto Bath). I`m not very impressed with the results. The car still looks good, but the slickness is next to gone. The panels that were QDed (Eagle One, waiting on Lackfinish) are okay, but nowhere near where they were last week.

IMHO, you shouldn`t need to QD to keep similar quality after only one week. While the durability isn`t as poor as Meg`s Gold Class (100% gone in one week), it isn`t encouraging.

I really had high hopes for WG.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by BDawg

I just washed for the first time after one week of WG (WG Auto Bath). I`m not very impressed with the results. The car still looks good, but the slickness is next to gone. The panels that were QDed (Eagle One, waiting on Lackfinish) are okay, but nowhere near where they were last week.

IMHO, you shouldn`t need to QD to keep similar quality after only one week. While the durability isn`t as poor as Meg`s Gold Class (100% gone in one week), it isn`t encouraging.

I really had high hopes for WG.

Thanks for the info.. that`s good to know. I knew it was too good to be true. I`ll be recommending adding additional coats for subsequent washes as a way to regain the slickness

Post Thanks / Like
    I just took the WG off my hood today .. I was rather impressed with it .. I found bugs washed off easier then with anything else .. My WG QD showed up late and I haven`t tried it ( Showed 1/2 hour after I AIO`d the hood and reapplied SG )

The WG will be the choise if the cusromer wants a sealant just for the easy of use and the longivity.. I wash 4/5 times a week and it lasted 20 + washes.
    PMS Adjuster

This he is a she

Post Thanks / Like
    I really wish we could figure out why some people have such outstanding results from WG and some don`t.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by BillNorth

bret,

The only thing that confuses me is how the oils in the cleaner can wash away while sitting underneath the sealant?

My guess is that the oils diffuse up thru the polymers. I saw the same effect with #7 and Medallion on the roof of my car. The "beading" lasted 3 weeks and then went away.

And then the next logical question is how did the sealant bond (if it actually did) to the paint with the oils present?

If by "bond" you simply mean "not fall off the paint immediately after the next washing", then, yes, things can "bond" even in the presence of oils.

Bill.
    Close enough... They`ll never notice anyway

Post Thanks / Like
    I decided to use Wolfgang on my car today for a test as my car`s exterior requires extensive work. Mainly a rotary to take out some heavy marring and a hood/fender repaint job. Will be working on 1 this summer and hopefully 2 after I get the right tools some day heh. Anyways, this test was to see how Wolfgang handles the `average` driver vehicle.

I applied the WG Cleaner with a PC and polishing pad. It definately is a different experience but it actually did a nice job with my vehicle. AIO is still probably a better choice but I also found that I enjoyed using this product, maybe because I found it very easy to buff off after applying it.

The Sealant applied with no problem at all. I`m a big fan of EX-P because it is very easy to apply and buff off and I found WG very similar in that respect. I also have to note that spilling a little on myself that the smell made we want to wear gold chains and a tweed outfit. Anyways, the look of the sealant is best described as a warm glow, like that of carnauba waxes. As far as slickness goes, I was disappointed since it really didn`t feel that slick compared to other products I have tried. Nonetheless I really like the WG twins but we`ll see how they handle a few washes.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am using the WG twins and a souveran topper and have had great success with both...its all about what works for you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by speedracer

I am using the WG twins and a souveran topper and have had great success with both...its all about what works for you.

As I asked you in the roadfly thread, how do you maintain the WG and souveran? Do you QD or WAUD every wash or 2 washes? Your maintenance regimen will have a great impact on durability.

Bill.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve use the WG twins using the PC and it`s great IMO. It`s slick as hell. However, in comparing side by side (split hood panel) with EX-P, the EX-P is a little deeper or darker colors.

Post Thanks / Like
    nycpassat,

Are you going to Poorboy`s World Detailing Day?

See the thread here: Poorboy`s Detailing Day

Pass it along! Going to be a fun day!

Regards,

Deanski
    DR SHINE
    Swanky Shine (tm)
    What`s in YOUR garage? 997 Carrera S.

Post Thanks / Like
    **UPDATE - July 10th**

I hand washed the car again today using Mothers California Gold. I dried with my pak shak WW and followed up with a regular pk MF. My observations:

Beading/Sheeting - Almost non existent. It took about 3 minutes for the water to sheet off the roof. The actual sheeting I attribute more to the forces of gravity than the WG. After the first minute most of the water was still clinging.

Slickness - Same as before. Still no slickness left. It literally feels like bare paint. When I run my fingers across the surface they drag.

Look/Shine - Again, same as before. The paint still looks good. It still has some of the wolfgang glow to it.

Based on today`s wash, I`m inclined to say that my WG is dead after almost 8 weeks. The beading/sheeting, or lack thereof, is what is drawing me to this conclusion.

I went ahead and applied another layer of WG sealant to the car. I must say again, this sealant really is a pleasure to work with. Easy on, and sooo easy off. Even the areas that I applied it thick it still came off easy. Slickness was back to where it was at day 1.

As a side note, I also applied another layer of SG to the other car. Compared to the WG, the SG was a PITA to remove, even using WOO. It was pretty hot today. The SG was drying on the surface rather quickly, while the WG on the other hand was a breeze. Having both SG and WG frwshly applied side by side I have to say that the WG was much slicker than the SG. Though the SG holds it`s slickness for longer.

I may start layering the WG in the same manner that I do SG. I`ll probably do 2 or 3 more than top with my souveran (I`ve been anxious to use it, but have held back for this test).

My final thoughts:

The WG sealant is a good 2 month sealant. Eae of use and carnuba like appearance are it`s biggest assets. Longevity, compared to klasse and zaino, is not. If you purchase it expecting any more than 2 months than you will be disappointed. The cleaner, as stated before, is garbage IMHO. Save your money.

Well, that`s it! Happy detailing!

Bill. :up

Post Thanks / Like
    Great test. I have WG on my daily driver Contour SVT (It sits out 24x7). Im about 10 weeks out and still have good beading, although I did apply 2 coats. I also have QD`ed 2 times since applying it. My method was a wash with NXT wash and applying the WG polish and sealer by hand.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information