Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Okay I did a search, but it didn`t answer my question if #34 really has any alcohol content in it or not? If so, does that tend to remove the wax/sealent I have on my car? It does work better and it doesn`t leave a holographic residue on my black paint like Sonus does.

thanks.

its naturally curly...... 6cyl's_of_fury's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have been using FI with Klasse and NXT and havent noticed any degredation in protection because of it. If there *is* any alcohol in the formulation, I dont think its enough to cause any disruption to the layer of sealant.

JMO
    Detail your car, do it. No seriously, do it.

The Black Beast

Post Thanks / Like
    in it.

Check the MSDS info on the Meguiar`s web site for the %`s.

Post Thanks / Like
    I use it all the time when applying and maintaining SG when I want a little bit of cleaning ability. I see NO degradation of the SG at all
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like
    Some isopropyl alcohol QD`s may strip a certain few wax/sealants. When I was still using Omikron Bodyguard which is extremely abrasive which is why it was replaced with superior and far softer BODYSEAL, the silky smoothness was not lasting very long. I contacted Omikron and found out that 3M Gloss Enhancer which is what I used then would strip it off and leave the surface really squeeky clean - clean but rough. This protectant contained volcanic ash, teflon and acrylic. Not only that but Omikron Fast spray wax with brazillian carnuba which also contained petroleum distillates was stripping it also.

3M GE is still a regular part of my detailing although I have modified it`s formulation so I never have to buy it again

Most shouldnt strip it. Don`t think much of #34 or meguiars misty spray bottles.
    Car care/detailing sadly isn`t high on the agenda for 98% of australians.

Post Thanks / Like
    I like #34, but these days I only use it to remove polish residues and/or to QD a work in progress after a night in the garage.

My experiences with it were different from Bill D`s :nixweiss

I found that when I used it after washes to "refresh" my finish (wax, sealant, whatever), it *did* make it slicker and cleaner, but at a price. The LSP definitely did not last as long when treated to #34. I attributed that to the aforementioned alcohol content. I believe the alcohol in #34 causes a solvent-action that softens the LSP. This makes it smooth out (and possibly release contaminants), so after you`ve used the #34 it looks and feels better, *but* it also strips (or otherwise degrades) the LSP. Maybe not much, but enough that I quit doing it.

Since I`ve quit using #34 on it, my SG lasts a good year; it`s currently still beading (only now starting to sheet where I`ve repeatedly spot-clayed it) after 54 weeks, that`s with no QDing. When someone`s SG only lasts a few months, I always wonder if they`re QDing it with something like #34.

Post Thanks / Like
    I use FI really when I need a little bit of cleaning action in my qd and inbetween polishing steps/removing haze but to qd for gloss enhancement, I use FD, maybe this restricted use of FI is leaving my SG in good condiion. :nixweiss

Post Thanks / Like
    Accum,

I`m also using FI less and less these days as a QD but with clay it works very well.

Today I use P21S wax extensively as a carnauba topper and the Menzerna, 1Z and Klaase as my sealants. None of the 4 mfgs has their own QD but 1Z will shortly.

Which QD`s do you use currently?

Post Thanks / Like
    Fd seems to look rather well on SG especially if you control the amount sprayed: I do so by using it in a cooking oil pump, aerosol-like spray bottle

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by jmsc

Accum..Which QD`s do you use currently?

Heh heh, I use all the stuff I`m trying to use up after consolidating two garages into one I have gallons of this stuff...

FI for polishing (and I`ll try it with clay, thanks for the tip), Kwik Shine (sp?), EF CP, and Griot`s Speed Shine over carnaubas, and I have some BF around here somewhere too that I used to use over sealants when I had the WRX.

I find I`m using QD less and less these days, preferring to just reapply my LSP when they need something.

Post Thanks / Like
    Is Kwik Shine a brand or a qd of a certain manufacturer? Never heard of that one. Which QD would you recommend for SG?

Post Thanks / Like
    Bill D,

I believe he means Quik Shine (spelling error).

I am also using LSP product as my QD. I just re-applied FMJ a 3rd time in 2 months on my own car and it took me 5 mins longer than a QD. And it looks better than any QD.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ah, yes, Clearkote Quick Shine, IIRC, that was considered to be in the same league as FD in terms of slickness and shine :up

As a matter of fact, I`m considering that next once my FD is used up if word is the new megs Final Touch is different than( in terms of not as good as) FD

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok I hit the acronym section first, but I cant find what LSP and FD stand for if anyone wants to help.
    04` Saab 9-3 aero

Steel Grey

Post Thanks / Like
    LSP = Last Step Product/Process

FD = Meg`s Final Detail

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information