Post Thanks / Like
    when i use mine on 6 the pads on the backside near the pc start getting cut by the backing plate anyone else have this problem and if so what did you do to correct it. cause im going thru pads like crazy

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m using a 5" backing plate w/o any problems.
    `99 Civic Si - Electron Blue Pearl
    `04 Subaru Outback Sport - Silver

Post Thanks / Like
    Mine are doing it, but it`s caused from using way too much pressure on the PC.

Post Thanks / Like
    My meguiars pads will do that from time to time. I think that washing them is the culprit. Before washing them they are completely flat, once washed and dried they seem to take on a concave shape. This causes the backing plate to come into contact with the foam and eventually chews them up.

I think the only way around it is to switch to a pad with a recessed area for the backing plate or not wash the pads. I buy the meg`s pads at cost so I probably will not switch.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by ebpcivicsi

I buy the meg`s pads at cost so I probably will not switch.

hey well hook me up. i use the edge 8"pads with the pads and they work great...:up ill just stick to those cause the backing plate sinksinto the back of the pad

Post Thanks / Like
    Im having this problem with my white polishing pads only. Excess pressure is NOT my problem. The fact that the backing plate is 6"`s and the pad is 6.5"`s IS the problem. The other pads have a larger loop pad on them that better accept the backing plate and protect themselves from the backing plate. I`m seeking replacement now.
    Triple Honda Owner

Post Thanks / Like
    it happens to ALL our pads without the plastic edge like the LC pads, 3M, Meg, CMA, they all rip after several used here in our shop. We only use our RO for applying cleaner waxes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Same here. My pads get cut also even switching to a 5" backing plate. I was also told it was excessive pressure being applied. I don`t feel that I am to blame being the pads I purchased from Griots that have a full Velcro back and are still going strong and have no problems with cutting. Too bad they don`t offer a better variety like the other companies out there. My thought is that if the pads were laying around (old stock) this doesn`t help the matter. JMO

Post Thanks / Like
    I think the manufacturers know that they are a problem and are peddling these things out to us in the form of package deals. It`s just plain obvious to me that with any pressure, the oversize (for the velcro on the pad) backing plate WILL cut into the pad. I got another one for ya. The two white pads that I have are very different in texture. The one that is cut into the most is much stiffer than the other. Both polishing pads bought at the same time from the same place.
    Triple Honda Owner

Post Thanks / Like
    IMO, the problem isn`t the size of the backing plate so much as the size of the loop fabric on the back of the pad. I can get yellow and white pads locally from Hi-Temp (they`re "branded" Buff-n-Shine pads), and the loop fabric covers the entire back of the pad. On those pads, I`ve never had a problem using a backing plate that is 1/2" smaller than the pad.

CMA orange pads, however, only have loop fabric covering a portion of the back of the pad. My backing plate overhangs the loop fabric, and the edges gouge the foam and tear up the pad. If the orange pads had loop fabric to the edge of the back of the pad, I might buy some again; for now, though, I`ve sworn off purchasing pads with that type of loop fabric configuration.

Tort

Thread Information