Post Thanks / Like
    Got some from Discount Auto Parts...free after mail in rebate so how could you go wrong?

I used it on one of my tires....if you don`t wipe it, it kinda just sits there, so I sprayed it on, wiped it after a minute and it left a really nice looking satin finish. Just thought I would share....I`ll see how it holds up, and it`s not a disgusting wet look so I don`t think it would sling all over the car.

-Matt

Post Thanks / Like
    Drove the car some more, no slinging! This stuff is really good.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the heads up. I hope you report back after a week and wash later.

Post Thanks / Like
    Matt . . . does it leave an oily finish?

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Dr Groove

Matt . . . does it leave an oily finish?

Nope...leaves a very nice satin shine. I can`t take pics since my brother took the digital camera to NY, but I ordered another one and it should be here within a week or so....

Post Thanks / Like
    Where did my other post go?

I was responding to andriver....

Anyways, will do....I`ll let you know how it holds up with the upcoming week of rain starting thursday

Post Thanks / Like
    Got it up to 100mph today and no slinging

Post Thanks / Like
    Whats wrong with a glossy/oily looking tire shine? I have found as long as you dont try to drive on it within 10-15 minutes of applying it most oil based tire shines wont fling all over the place.

The Old Grey Whistle Test togwt's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to Autopia joestang

Quote: What’s wrong with a glossy/oily looking tire shine? I have found as long as you don’t try to drive on it within 10-15 minutes of applying it most oil based tire shines wont fling all over the place.

~One man’s opinion / observations ~

Silicone:

Silicones are primarily used to modify or improve certain characteristics; they are sometimes added as a lubricant to provide spread ability thereby making a product easier to apply. Chemical polymers that can be engineered for exceptional water repellence, gloss, and bonding properties. The myth that silicone is bad is just that, a myth, and like most myths there is a little truth in it. Silicone are basically inert, it’s what’s added to them that them bad.

The Good: Polydimethylsiloxane (PDS) is water based (usually a milky-white liquid) amino functional silicone that doesn’t migrate (dry out) the platicizers from materials, has less UV radiation absorption and dust attraction properties. Chemists also use silicones to create water-in-oil emulsions, reduce emulsion particle size, to stabilize emulsions, and to improve spreading and coverage of wax products.

Most modern silicone formulas are water soluble (no oil or petroleum), and are completely inert. The best way to describe most forms of silicone is to think of it as a man-made wax ester. Silicone is created by the reaction generated when you combine fatty acids with Poly Dimethyl Siloxane.

The Bad: a cheaper additive to Silicone is Dimethyl (usually a clear greasy liquid) it contains petroleum distillates, which are environmentally unsound and give a slick, oily finish, which attracts dust and dirt.

It also causes rubber compounds along with sun iteration to remove the micro-wax in tyres as well as its carbon black (it’s what gives tyres their colour) they are often mislabelled as modern /synthetic polymers by manufactures.

The Ugly: Silicone is an active ingredient in sun UV amplification.

As a low quality silicone dressing evaporates away, the silicone oil is left behind, the sun then amplifies these residues, and the drying process is accelerated, all this causes rubber, EDPM, vinyl and plastics to dry out, which turns them grey or brown, losing their flexibility and prematurely fail. Water-based dressings do not contain oils or petroleum distillates and provide a non- greasy, natural looking satin finish.

For a Few Dollars More: Petroleum distillates can be further purified, re-distilled, reacted and combined with various other chemicals to produce a wide range of environmentally safe and useful products. This is rarely done in the automotive industry due to monetary considerations.

In conclusion, to group all silicones into one category and label them harmful, environmentally unsound

and / or dangerous would be both unscientific and without foundation.

~Hope this helps~

Experience unshared; is knowledge wasted…/

justadumbarchitect *so I question everything*
    What gets overlooked too often is that one must be a student before becoming a teacher.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the insight. Thats good info, and I`m not going to pretend that I know the chemistry behind any of the car care products. I only know about what my experiences are. I use Black Magic tire shine and have for about the last 5 years. As a kid(in hs I mean)I used to use Armor-All, but have since learned how bad it makes rubber look after awhile. Where does Black Magic fall within the properties you listed?

Its just my personal opinion, but I prefer a nice high gloss shiny sidewall versus a satin look. :nixweiss
    1994 Mustang GT - 14.0 @ 98.6mph

Exhaust, Gears, Drag Radials

2003 Acura CL-S - 14.5 @ 96.5mph

Bone stock, 6 speed w/LSD

Post Thanks / Like
    Well don`t get me wrong, it`s pretty shiny, I just don`t like when you can see your reflection in the tire. IMO it gives the perfect shine.

TOGWT - Great post. When you spray this stuff it is milky looking, kind of like 303.

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow TOGWT. Thats a mouthful but insightful.

Thread Information