Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    I just purchased all of the 1Z line of polishes to try them out this Spring and Summer.

I have read the directions to see how abrasive each product is.

I have used Menzerna twins and Meguiars (SFP, #80, DACP) for my abrasives in the past.

Can someone rate the 1Z products in relation to their cutting ability with the Meguiars or Menzerna?

I know they are apples and oranges. But if you can ball park where the 1Z polishes fall in line with the others I would appreciate it.

This will help me gauge the products a little better.

Thanks.
    Seth

Post Thanks / Like
    Don`t know if you`ve seen this but this thread may be of interest, http://www.autopia.org/forums/showth...threadid=30032
    `96 Jeep Cherokee Country - White - Gray Leather Interior

`02 Volkswagen Passat GLX - Reflex Silver - Black Leather Interior - 5 spd Manual

Post Thanks / Like
    Spilchy- Heh heh, you couldn`t have asked how they compare to 3M stuff, could you

Let`s see...the UP is probably gonna be stronger than the DACP, and it won`t leave a ready-to-wax finish (RTWF) in most cases, no matter which pad you use. I`d definitely try to remove marring with the PP first, and only resort to the UP if you really need it. I only use UP with a cutting pad, it`s that kind of product (IMO). After UP, my first pass with PP is usually with a cutting pad too.

IMO, there`s a bit of a gap between the UP and the PP. I`d plug 3M`s PI-III RC in between them, and have done so on a few occasions.

The PP is more like DACP except that it breaks down finer, almost always leaving a RTWF. Probably similar to the Menzerna IP. It`s a good "general purpose" polish. If your marring is noticeable and your paint isn`t extra-soft, this is a good starting point. Works fine with either a cutting or polishing pad, at any speed with a PC (use 800-1200 with a rotary, starting slow, same with UP, BTW).

The MP is probably milder than the #82 SFP and/or the #9. While *some* people get micromarring after those Meg`s products (not often, but sometimes), that`s NOT gonna happen with the MP. You could almost consider it a "cleaner wax". Gonzo finds the Menzerna FP to be a little milder than the MP, he follows up MP with FP. I think the rest of us would usually say that MP leaves a fine enough finish (it`s definitely a RTWF), but I DID buy the FP just to see if I can tell a difference (haven`t tried it yet).

Hope this was of *some* help. Gee, the last time I "helped" you, you had to send back a bunch of stuff from Griot`s I`m still all about your BHB for wheels experience!

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah...right! No need to add anything to Accumulator`s post.

Same opinion here!

Post Thanks / Like
    Accumulator, as always, you`re depth and insight and willingness to answer my question EXACTLY the way I asked is much appreciated.

You`re right on the money. Thanks a million. You`ve redeemed yourself from the Griot`s recommendation. JUST JOKIN`!

I`ve got a job tomorrow on a spankin` new BMW M5. I wanted to try out the new 1Z line. I am going to use the 1Z MP (nice a mild)with a PC followed by Meguiars Hand Polish with a PC and topped with #16. Then I`m going to use Einszett Tiefenpfleger on the exterior trim and 1Z Cokpit Premium / 1Z Leather Care on the interior.

Oh, the BHB was for the paint, not the wheels. It had black, coarse bristles that were not flagged. Everything else was just a total rip-off. I sent back $150 in product and kept the interior trio of BHB brushes. THOSE are nice. I use them often (and will tomorrow!)
    Seth

Post Thanks / Like
    The three people I expected to immediately chime WERE the three WHO DID chime in!

The 1Z lover trio - Macgirl, Accumulator and JGV!

How funny:p
    Seth

Post Thanks / Like
    Spilchy, do your self a favor.... If your using MP, skip the Hand polish. Less 20-30 minutes in the process, just top it with #16

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m a 1Z convert as well, but Accumulator said everything except that there is nothing left on the paint after the FP but squeek - of course he hasn`t used it yet, so has no first hand experience.

So I said it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Spilchy

The three people I expected to immediately chime WERE the three WHO DID chime in!

The 1Z lover trio - Macgirl, Accumulator and JGV!

How funny:p

Yeah... You were lucky almost bed time here :doh

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by jgv

Spilchy, do your self a favor.... If your using MP, skip the Hand polish. Less 20-30 minutes in the process, just top it with #16

Funny you mention it. I was thinking of skipping the hand polish because of the posts in the 1Z forum by Mike.

He often mentions the 1Z polishes will do what other products take a couple steps to do.

I`ll tell you what, I`ll do a test on a spot with the Hand Polish on the trunk and see if I notice anything better.
    Seth

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey I`m a 1z lover too and got all their stuff. Can`t argue with the accumulator, pretty much right on. I`m going to spend some good time with the express and wp soft following the MP to see what kind of differences I can notice on my friend`s M5 we`ve been polishing. Here it is after a couple of passes with PP and some working of MP.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Gonzo

I`m a 1Z convert as well, but Accumulator said everything except that there is nothing left on the paint after the FP but squeek - of course he hasn`t used it yet, so has no first hand experience.

So I said it.

Gonzo, I like to see those lines separate. IP is very close to PP in ease of use. PP leaves some protection on the finish, meaning it can be used by it-self. PP, UP, MP, etc. are not body shop safe. Menzernas are.

IMHO, if you`re using PP, you may follow either with wax OR MP/EP and wax. If you`re on Menzernas route, after IP/FP you can either wax or seal.

Again, IMHO, using FP after PP is undoing something PP did, or left on the surface.

Post Thanks / Like
    Gonzo, are you following the 1Z polish with FP because you are using a sealant like Zaino or Klasse? If not, it just seems like an extra step, and yes, I agree with JGV, you are just undoing what the 1Z is doing. Not dogging on you or anything but the 1ZMP looks awesome on it`s own, just wanting to get the whole story.
    `96 Jeep Cherokee Country - White - Gray Leather Interior

`02 Volkswagen Passat GLX - Reflex Silver - Black Leather Interior - 5 spd Manual

Post Thanks / Like
    I think the post-MP use of FP is gonna be more appropriate in some cases than in others. I generally LIKE the stuff that MP leaves on the paint, that`s one of the reasons why I use it. I`m just curious about whether the FP will give a discernibly better look.

But then as Gonzo said, I haven`t tried the FP yet so it`s all guesswork at this point.

Spilchy- Glad to have been of assistance. I think you oughta try the #81 and see if it improves anything (I predict "not"). If not, I`d just hit the area with the MP again, no harm done and the MP is THAT easy to use.

OK on the clarification of the Griot`s fiasco. I`m sorta looking askance at those dark bristles in MY BHBs myself.

Those smaller BHBs will come in handy. Great for around the fuel filler and in the doorjambs, not to mention the tight spots on the wheels and in the wheelwells.

Post Thanks / Like
    I use the FP to burnish the paint and to remove any oils/fillers left by other products. I use it as a last [polishing] step product prior to the Klasse twins. I "know" when the MF squeeks on the paint that there is nothing on the clearcoat but air. This I believe is a solid foundation for AIO. Yes AIO cleans and can strip everyting that it is applied over, but I don`t count on it for that purpose. The only cleaning I DO depend on AIO for is to get those spots I may have inadvertantly missed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information