Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve been doing for a couple of months. The results have been great :bounce

After clay, Klasse AIO, then about 4 or 5 applications of Klasse Glaze.

Now.. S100 couple of weeks, Klasse Glaze, couple of week S100, couple of weeks Klasse etc.. etc.

Is there anything wrong with this system ?

:nixweiss

Thanks for any suggestions

Nick

Supernintendo Chalmers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, there is a fundemental problem with that order

SG can only properly adhere to AIO or prior coats of SG. The S100 you are occasionally using will negate the durability of the following layers of SG. Once you commit to topping the SG with S100, only S100 can follow until you remove the wax with more AIO.
    Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand.

Post Thanks / Like
    Is this a known fact? Or is this an `urban legend` that nobody has any actual experience with?

GRNZOOM: how does the SG hold up on top of the S100 when you apply it? (same as when applied over AIO, or shorter?)

Not disputing anyone`s knowledge, just askin` the question.

In my life, I`ve seen many things happen when I was told that it was `impossible` for them to occur.

2000 Volvo S80</p>

2006 Nissan Murano</p>

2011 BMW 328i</p>

2014 Mercedes E350

Supernintendo Chalmers
    Post Thanks / Like
    We know that the appearance of S100 is wonderful, but we also know of its relatively short lifespan. Similarly, we know of SG`s extra-long lifespan (for those patient enough, which I am not) of six months or more with regular washings.

Thus, we can change the maxim to "your protection is only as strong as its weakest product." Wax "sticks" to the prepped surface while SG`s chemical properties physically change to bond to the surface. SG cannot bond to a carnuba product which will lose its effectiveness within a month or so.
    Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand.

Post Thanks / Like
    you brag about how it looks so great and yet no pics??? shame shame..

Post Thanks / Like
    grnzoom, All suppliers will tell you, applying a ploymer over a caranuba is a no, no. A polymer will only adhere to another polymer or a cleaner polisher. However, if you are only looking for appearence and not longevity, and you are pleased with the result by all means do what makes you happy.
    Ron Bowen-always trying to learn and improve my skills of the trade, 2003 Chevy Tahoe, Charcoal Metallic

Click here to visit my gallery

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by dmatre

Is this a known fact? Or is this an `urban legend` that nobody has any actual experience with?

Not disputing anyone`s knowledge, just askin` the question.

In my life, I`ve seen many things happen when I was told that it was `impossible` for them to occur.

I don`t think it has anything to do with fact. It`s more a case of common sense. How can something (polymer, whatever) bond to an inconsistent surface which diminishes over time (ie a waxed surface)?

How can any polymer bond to something that isn`t permanent??

Think of sticking tape on an ice cube. What happens when the ice cube melts? Is the tape still sticking to it? Does the tape magically stick to the surface the cube was sitting on? I don`t think so.

What happens when the wax degrades in a matter of 2-4 weeks? Is the SG magically staying while the wax becomes eroded?? I don`t think so.

Topping SG over Carnuba may initially look good, but what is the point really? You`re just wasting product. And frankly, I doubt the SG is even staying on the waxed surface for very long making the whole exercise useless.

JMHO,

Bill :up

Post Thanks / Like
    I understand what is mentioned.

SG over carnuba won`t stick.

But if carnuba degrades in 2 or 4 weeks, then it gone. If the carnuba is gone the layers of SG are still there, why not add another layer of SG?

Later top off with another application of S100.

Nick

Post Thanks / Like
    How long does S100 last anyways? I thought right around 3 months, was i under false pretenses? This is for a DD that sleeps outside every night
    "You offroad that thing?" "Yea man, all the time"

its naturally curly...... 6cyl's_of_fury's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I fail to see why you would alternate?

Just be patient, lay down your 3 ( or more ) layers of SG and then top with S100. Then I`d recommend reapplying the S100 on a monthly ( YMMV ) basis for 3 - 6 months then start the process over. This is what I do and would be the most sensible approach IMO.

SG over S100 is a waste of good product for no benifit, but if it floats your boat, then continue with it I guess....
    Detail your car, do it. No seriously, do it.

The Black Beast

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by grnzoom

I understand what is mentioned.

SG over carnuba won`t stick.

But if carnuba degrades in 2 or 4 weeks, then it gone. If the carnuba is gone the layers of SG are still there, why not add another layer of SG?

Later top off with another application of S100.

Nick

Most of the carnuba is gone in 2-4 weeks, hence total loss of protection. BUT, there is still something left from the wax. The wax will not disappear 100%.

Bottom line, if you like wasting SG, then go for it!!!! Who am I to tell you???

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by BillNorth

Most of the carnuba is gone in 2-4 weeks, hence total loss of protection. BUT, there is still something left from the wax. The wax will not disappear 100%.

Bottom line, if you like wasting SG, then go for it!!!! Who am I to tell you???

I don`t like to wast SG or other things.

I`m just asking questions, seeking answers and recommendations.

I don`t know... who are you:nixweiss

Nick

Post Thanks / Like
    Nick,

I`m just another guy, like you. My point being, do what works best for you. If you like topping s100 with SG then go for it. If you see a long term difference in your paint, and you like it, then continue to do it.

Like I said, and as others have said, it doesn`t appear to make a lot of sense to top s100 with sg. But if it works for you....

Bill.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am pretty sure at one point one of our longtime members tested application of something like SG over a carnauba wax. I don`t think there were many details (this may have been in a chat room) but he did say it did not work.

I agree that trying to guess if a carnauba wax is truly gone or not is a chancy thing. Wax compositions and behaviours as they wear down can vary quite a bit.

In most cases it`s recommended only to apply 5 or 6 coats of Klasse at the most anyway, as more coats don`t really seem to help from the experience of several members, including myself.

Thread Information