Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Has anyone here tried PUPP or SG over NXT? Can it be done?

After about 2-3 applications of NXT our cars look pretty sweet! Just trying to see if I can "lock in" that sweet look and add some durability to the paint.

Any input? I know that some of the "Mad Scientists" out there like blkZ28Conv will probably chime in on this one!

Cheers,

Post Thanks / Like
    I would say 4star platinum... But if you have a darker color car you might want to keep using the NXT. But from some of the posts out there lately it seems like NXT might have some light cleaners in it, so that could also be a consideration... Good luck:xyxthumbs

Post Thanks / Like
    I think you`ll have trouble getting SG to bond to NXT. UPP on top of NXT might be an interesting combo to try though. I am pretty sure you won`t have any trouble with that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by AMP01

Has anyone here tried PUPP or SG over NXT? Can it be done?

After about 2-3 applications of NXT our cars look pretty sweet! Just trying to see if I can "lock in" that sweet look and add some durability to the paint.

Any input? I know that some of the "Mad Scientists" out there like blkZ28Conv will probably chime in on this one!

Cheers,

LOL

Actually you are correct. I topped the NXT for the same reason you mentioned just out of interest in outcome. I used Zaino Z2/ZFX (Z1 would have removed NXT and Z2 alone would not be proper usage). Completely compatible via gross inspection (no hazing, apparent lifting (separation) and change from normal application/drying/buffing effort. Spreads normally and usage amount was normal, and buffing effort - no change.

I allowed the NXT x 3 to cure ~2 weeks (no usage and garaged).

Prepped surface with just a Z6 wipe down. No apparent NXT residual on MF ( Normal post Z6 usage feeling of MF).

I allowed the Z2 to dry ~1.5 hrs and as I mentioned before, buffed off extremely easy, as Z always does.

Conclusion:

Seems to work in terms of lack of signs of incompatibility and instabliblity ( no hazing, separation, etc).

Visual changes (enhancement in appearance) under indoor lightning none was detectable ( NXT by itself is extremely deep, wet and glossy under indoor lighting). Outside natural light :nixweiss. Still have not been able to pull car out because of last weekend`s snow storm to inspect. Will be able to report this weekend (60+* the next few days). I will probably do a hose down and look for the charateristic Zaino beading for a gross test of it presence.

I will probably try the UPP topping of NXT on the LS400 (also black) as soon as the weather breaks.

Of course this experiment was done as stated to "lock-in" the visual appearance of NXT, possibly add the Zaino clearcoat enhancement and to fight the boredom of winter.

With NXT`s enhancement of the base colorcoat ability and Zaino`s clearcoat enhancing ability, I thought that this would be a great combination. Something we has been trying to do with carnauba`s in reverse ( gloss(sealants) topped with carnuaba for wetness and increased depth).

This was not done to increase NXT`s durability as most know that durability is not a factor in my detailing regimen.

Go for it AMP01. :xyxthumbs

Post Thanks / Like
    You are trying to seal in the shine of a sealant? :lol I don`t think a sealant is what you use to `top` another sealant. I think that this is a case of choosing between SG, NXT, or UPP. I don`t think using combinations of those products is going to be the best. I`ve layerd SG and UPP with each other and after I stripped it off I found that 3 layers of UPP actually looked better than all my layers of both. I`d say just stick with NXT and top with a carnauba if a topper is really what you want to do.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ingr,

Do you think that the stripping of your combo may have lead to a better "prepped" finish leading to the better appearance of the UPP alone. :nixweiss

Post Thanks / Like
    On the trunk of my 7 I topped NXT with SG via the Bill North method. I applied just enough to see that I was actually applying the SG. As soon as I finished wiping the SG on I let it sit for just a moment and then wiped off.

My trunk now has more of an SG "plasticy" look to it but it seems to have lost some of the NXT depth and wettness.

I will experiment with PUPP at a later date.

Here is a pic with NXT x 3 topped with 1 layer of SG. I did not take the pic outside as it just started to rain. This pic is from the garage looking outward.

Cheers,

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Amp01. That the results I got when I topped the NXT with P21S and Souveran. Both panels loss that NXT "POP". I was somewhat expecting that with Souveran but I was surprised with the same results from P21S since it is known for its glossy verse deep appearance. Solvents destroyiny / removing the NXT? :nixweiss

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by blkZ28Conv

Ingr,

Do you think that the stripping of your combo may have lead to a better "prepped" finish leading to the better appearance of the UPP alone. :nixweiss

I guess I`m not sure what you are saying. The surface was already prepped with the usual methods of clay and polish and all that. I just think that the different products gave a different appearance that wasn`t as appealing (to me) as just straight UPP. It was certianly impressive, but I like the pure UPP look better. I still top it with S100/P21S because it rinses clean when it rains, but I dig straight UPP.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just inquiring about possible prep changes - like polish used. For example prior to UPP/SG combo polished used was AIO and prior to UPP alone DACP. You now how we try many combinations seeking the ultimate shine and / or protection.

Post Thanks / Like
    I don`t think that part has much to do with the appearance I was getting. I`m always going to prep with clay, dacp, and then aio or the Platinum version. Its just that I`ve got a white car and the right appearance is just hard for me to get. I`ve just been personally more satisfied using UPP straight and then topping with a carnauba. The layering between SG was just an experiment that didn`t satisfy me personally. You know how it is...

Post Thanks / Like
    blkZ28Conv,

So far, as appearance alone goes, NXT is proving to be some pretty cool stuff!

The only time I have had a chance to use NXT on jet black, I did so with out any polishing / glaze before hand. The NXT made the paint 1-2 shades darker and left it looking like it was dipped in salad oil!

NXT may not be layerable, but it does leave a pretty sweet shine with great wetness!

Cheers,

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by blkZ28Conv

That the results I got when I topped the NXT with P21S and Souveran. Both panels loss that NXT "POP".

So in your opinion NXT has more "pop" than P21s?
    Interviewer: : Rock, you got anything derogatory to say about the champ?

Rocky Balboa: Derogatory? Yeah. He`s great

Post Thanks / Like
    I did something completely different today and honestly, I think it looked a bit glossier than NXT. I used Meguiars #20 and topped it with Meguiars #16 Pro Paste Wax. Used it on a brand new white Ford Expidition and when one of the other employees at this office got back from lunch, he said I must have used something pretty special because he didn`t expect to see a difference on brand new white paint but that now it looked a lot wetter.

I also used it on a black Silverado SS with similar results. Very wet and glossy (took pics) and on the other truck at the office, a black Chevy 1500, I just used NXT (I had polished and waxed it about 2 months ago and the paint was still in good shape).

I see the Silverado every week and the 1500 about every 4 weeks (he usually drives his BMW 745) but I hope to compare the durability between #20/#16 vs NXT this way.

If you have some #20 and #16, it is worth trying.
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information