Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    where did this idea come from? As I understand it Bill North just used it as a failsafe guess but had no concrete evidence for this as an actual cure time, merely knew by that amount of time it must be cured.

used te bill north method except I then applied s100 over it about an hour later.

Results were outstanding. Protection has held up well for a few months now.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think it comes from the fact that it needs that long to cure. I don`t understand all the chemistry behind it, but its not just a wax that goes on and off. For best results you should wait 24 hours. Or you can go halfassed about it and top it 20 seconds after buffing it off and still get results, just not the best ones.
    Keeping Texas clean one car at a time!

Post Thanks / Like
    What sources are you citing that the cure time is that long?

It seems that the 24 hours is a guess... and thus the conclusions you merrited are as well. If it did indeed cure after 20 minutes it should yeild the same waxing results as a car done the next day.

Post Thanks / Like
    Has anyone emailed Klasse and said, `how long should I wait after using SG before applying another coat?`

or asked for some kind of differential growth equation or graph describing its curing.

Post Thanks / Like
    layering is always a big fight here, it`s hard to figure out by chemicals sometimes. you just have to test it out yourself.

Post Thanks / Like
    Unfortunately for detailing, I`m more of a biology person than chemistry person, so I`m not always 100% positive. But I try my best to put together my thoughts and observations:

The general rule of thumb is 24 hours, not as a failsafe, but because it is such common science in the chemistry world. I`ll have my Gadfly moment and show you the first result I got after a Google search.

http://www.pra-publications.org.uk/p...ad/polymer.pdf

If you just browse through, you`ll notice many notions of 24 hours. This obviously isn`t conclusive, but you can get a general impression that chemists agree. In Autopia, I believe the 24-hour concept was introduced by Ron Ketcham - a product salesman who knows his stuff.

From a biologist standpoint, I imagine asking this would be like questioning about the existence of cells. My 2 cents...

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by spetulla

What sources are you citing that the cure time is that long?

It seems that the 24 hours is a guess... and thus the conclusions you merrited are as well. If it did indeed cure after 20 minutes it should yeild the same waxing results as a car done the next day.

You`re probably not, but are you confusing drying with curing? If you let it dry 20 minutes and wipe it off, then yes, you should get similar results as if you waited 24 hours and then finished the next day. However, products like SG are difficult to judge - there shouldn`t be a cosmic difference whether you waited for it to cure or not. It`s the same as comparing three layers of SG with one layer. It`s hard!

Originally posted by spetulla

Has anyone emailed Klasse and said, `how long should I wait after using SG before applying another coat?`

or asked for some kind of differential growth equation or graph describing its curing.

You`ll notice that Klasse in an 80`s product, and I don`t believe they had email back then. We have a few chemist Autopians who can explain more, but knowing them, I`m not sure if they will...

Happy detailing! :wavey

Post Thanks / Like
    cool thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by BW

You`ll notice that Klasse in an 80`s product, and I don`t believe they had email back then.

True, but they are obviously still in business right? Is there a way to get hold of them now?
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Scottwax

Is there a way to get hold of them now?

Not that I know of. I went to San Francisco in search of the address on the bottle and wasn`t successful. I wonder if Klasse distributors like CMA can share more information.

Post Thanks / Like
    IMO, KSG takes a minimum of 1 day during the warm weather season to cure. However, it can also take up to 5 or 6 days during the colder months to fully cure......or at least cure enough to withstand being subjected to its original solvents when topped with another layer. Just my very unscientific opinion based on very subjective visual evaluations when adding layer after layer of KSG during different times of the year.

Post Thanks / Like
    This is a topic that has been covered several times in the past as well.

Basically it boils down to this: If you can`t wait the 24+ hour curing time and you find that less time works for you, that`s fine. However, many people agree that it`s probably best to observe the 24 hour period if possible just in case.

Post Thanks / Like
    Bill actually lets his SG cure for a week... IMO I would at least wait 24hrs also. But if you got the results YOU were looking for, that`s all that matters-post some pics instead!!!

The Old Grey Whistle Test togwt's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote: 24 hour cure time for SG

~One mans opinion / observation~

When Polymer Resin (Authoglyn and Klasse) were introduced in’60s it was stated:

Apply to a clean dry surface that has been prepared with detailers clay and a pre-wax cleaner to ensure paint film surface to enhance both gloss and product durability, with a temperature of >50 – 90< o F, away from direct sunlight.

Sufficient time should be allowed between removing residue and applying more layers.

Polymer Acrylic – 24 to 72 hours, Synthetic wax 12 to 36 hours, these times are a guide only as they will vary by manufacturer and formula.

Autoglym to this day still state “24 hours to a weekâ€

I don’t profess to an expert or guru on this subject but this is how I’ve always done it, it works for me .If someone could get an answer from Klasse or any other manufacturer that states differently I’m more than willing to change my mindset, until thenâ€

~Hope this helps~

Experience unshared; is knowledge wastedâ€/

justadumbarchitect * so i question everything*
    What gets overlooked too often is that one must be a student before becoming a teacher.

Post Thanks / Like
    If you do a search you should see how I arrived at my conclusions. As mentioned, I personally wait a week between coats. I find that it looks the best. If you want to wait 20 mins, then go right ahead. I personally don`t agree with it, but what the hell do I know?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information