Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Believe it or not I wasnt thrilled with the porter cable and have been debating to buy this polisher.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=46507

Post Thanks / Like
    You did not like the Porter Cable? :O

I have a Chicago Electric electric impact gun and angle grinder. They are pretty good for the price. Not sure how the polisher would be or if you would be able to find pads for it.

Post Thanks / Like
    I would have to look around for pads first. I figure I need a couplse of foam pads and it comes with a wool pad. Would I need anything else?

I didnt like the pc but that may be because the pads were crap. I`m also cheap so this price works if the machine does the job.

Post Thanks / Like
    What PC do you have?

If you don`t like it, I would be interested in taking it off your hands.

Post Thanks / Like
    Its not mine. Its the most popular pc on the board. costs like $120. Its my ex girlfriends. I just borrowed it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Dang, I thought I was going to get me a buffer today.

Post Thanks / Like
    steal it from my garage. Ill get the insurance money to pay her back, lol

That'll buff right out! jimmybuffit's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    spree17: do asearch for the Chicago Elec... We`ve discussed it at length.

$24.99. Throw away the backing plate and pads that come with it.

CMA for pads.

I sense that you think the PC and rotary are the same type of tool... Oops!

Jim
    "If it was easy, everybody`d be doing it."
    www.jimmybuffit.com

Post Thanks / Like
    jim i know the pc and a rotary are different but please educate me a bit. I evebn was looking at a $20 buffer from sears because I know I can return that one if it doesnt do the job.

Post Thanks / Like
    PC 7424 is a random orbital

That looks to be a rotary.

Rotaries are great, but there is a skill level needed for it. You can take 15 minutes or less and be good with the PC, a Rotary can take years to get completely good with. Don`t be discouraged, but you can really ruin your paint with one of these puppies. They`ll do a ton more than a PC, but many of us on the board have no need for a rotary because our paint simply isn`t that bad. The PC fills the gap between hand and rotary.

Post Thanks / Like
    if i used a inexpensive orbital but dont apply a lot of pressure and keep the speed low is it likely Ill do damage? How do people usually do damage? I`m more looking for help removing wax than applying anything. I`m worn out trying to remove wax

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by spree17

if i used a inexpensive orbital but dont apply a lot of pressure and keep the speed low is it likely Ill do damage? How do people usually do damage? I`m more looking for help removing wax than applying anything. I`m worn out trying to remove wax

Orbitals= non-heat creating.

I guess you`re asking about the rotaries. People tend to burn the paint on the edges of panels where the paint isn`t as thick. I`ve only used one a few times, my grandfather let me mess around with it before he got cancer. I`d say go for it, but learn on something you`re not going to get too worked up about (a panel from a yard in fair condition) before you use it on your car.

Post Thanks / Like
    I really don`t see any need for a rotary just to remove wax.

Post Thanks / Like
    how do you do it. its drys so hard on mine that when i go to remove I end up bending panels

Post Thanks / Like
    I have the rotary from Harbor Freight and it is well worth the price if you want to get your hands on a rotary and not spend a whole lot of money. Believe it or not, this rotary is being pushed on some detailing websites for considerable more money and they are singing its praises. It is marketed under a different name than Chicago Electric though. But it is definitely the same thing. This is your chance to try out a rotary at a fraction of the price. So far, I have the PC 7424 and the rotary and the PC is by far my tool of choice. Because I am starting from the beginning. Given an aggressive enough pad and compound, the PC can take a finish down to the metal. Pros can do things with a rotary a PC 7424 cannot do but let me tell you it is not easy. I worked a rotary sanding wood and fiberglass for years and it is difficult to get use to the resistence from the pad (and the slinging) I am used to cutting through whatever I was working on. What is great about this rotary at Harbor Freight is that it is a variable speed, from 1000 to 3000 with six settings. Each one progresses 400 rpm. It is the real deal. And also, mine came with a 7" velcro backing plate. Exactly what you need for most velcro buffing pads for the rotary. The detailing website I noticed selling this rotary had the 7" backing plate separate for $16.95. When you include shipping it already starts to become pricy.
    All things can be explained, it`s just that some things are harder to explain than others.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information