Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi all,

I`m looking for a dark colored car with neglected and oxidized single stage paint for a before & after demonstration for ColorX

Any takers?

Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    yeah but im in san antonio

Post Thanks / Like
    Hmm, what do you mean by neglected and oxidized??

I have a red car (1975 Ferrari 308 GT4) that has oxidized paint with an orange-tint. I notice that when I polish the car, the paint darkens considerably, but over time, becomes more orange.

It is single stage paint (1975) with lots of swirls, scratches, etc, mostly because I don`t have alot of time to baby it as much as I`d like. It should probably be repainted at some point.

I am in tustin, CA, right across the street from Irvine.

Send me a PM or e-mail if interested.

Dom
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    I`d certainly be interested in the results. Single stage paint is not nearly as common now as when I first started detailing, but I got a doozy on Monday. 1989 Ford Taurus that was chalk white. Ugh. Took about 3.5 hours to bring the paint back. (I should have pics up in a few days). Anything that can help make removing serious oxidation always gets my attention!
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is another photo of the car that better emphasizes the oxidized finish.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Dom

Hmm, what do you mean by neglected and oxidized??

I have a red car (1975 Ferrari 308 GT4) that has oxidized paint with an orange-tint. I notice that when I polish the car, the paint darkens considerably, but over time, becomes more orange.

It is single stage paint (1975) with lots of swirls, scratches, etc, mostly because I don`t have alot of time to baby it as much as I`d like. It should probably be repainted at some point.

I am in tustin, CA, right across the street from Irvine.

Send me a PM or e-mail if interested.

Dom

Was this photo taken at Crystal Cove?

Looks familiar.

Mike

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Dom

Here is another photo of the car that better emphasizes the oxidized finish.

Hi Dom,

What I`m acutally looking for is something like Scottwax described, extremely oxidized and flat looking.

I do love a challenge however, maybe I could take a stab at your car`s finish anyhow?

Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Mike Phillips

Was this photo taken at Crystal Cove?

Looks familiar.

Mike

Yep, I`ve been at crystal cove alot these past few months. I have a son that was born at the end of august, and he still wakes up pretty early in the morning. So, since I`m up early on Sat, might as well take the trip to crystal cove...

Anytime you want to try your magic on my cars finish, you are welcome to. Send me a PM or an e-mail for my contact info.

Dom

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Dom,

Looking forward to seeing you this Saturday at the event!

If you don`t remember, Norm and I followed along the Ferrari drive last year through Mulholland with our MB`s. We will both be at the event this Saturday, great to hear you`ll be joining us. Maybe you and Norm can set something up for the F-Chat gals/guys, I`m sure there would be a few interested people.
    Afshin

90 Porsche 928 GT - Marine Blue

09 MazdaSpeed3 - Metropolitan Gray Mica

04 Honda Pilot - Silver

Post Thanks / Like
    Mike,

I got to work on a car that you described. Short story, I had about 20 minutes to work on a flat red car. I was granted permission to just work on the hood. The car was not even clean but I was not going to pass up this opportunity to test.

This was not an ideal test. I had to remove some bird dropping (used 1Z product), after I wiped I notice my terry cloth towel was red. I have never worked on a single stage car before, so that was kind of weird.

I "cleaned" (hum, hum) the hood with my shampoo/water mixture that I use for claying, wiped it down.

Applied ColorX twice with a terry cloth pad and buffed off with a MF, and the paint color came back. I followed with NXT with a terry cloth pad and buffed off with a MF and the hood was bright red once more. This combo works great!

The application pads were red so were the MFs. There is a lot of red on my pads and towels. Does this red color come out in the wash?

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Malachi

Does this red color come out in the wash?

Hopefully!

Seriously though, probably not completely. After wet-sanding and cutting and buffing my red 1973 Blazer, all of my buffing pads, towels and microfibers had a lot of red paint in/on them.

After a few washings, most of the red came out, but there was a definite pink tinge to both the towels and the microfibers.

Note: My white Nike tennis shoes were also red, which I did not like. I washed them in the washing machine with hot water and Tide and bleach and everything came out white except the nylon mesh tongues. I sprayed on some Heavy Duty Carpet & Interior Cleaner, worked it in and then blotted with a terry cloth towel and all the pink was gone.

Pretty amazing considering Tide and Bleach didn`t remove the red/pink staining.

Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Mike,

If you work on a car like this, I`d love the opportunity to come a observe (I promise, no questions this time). It would be great to see the results first hand. Thanks!!!

Scott

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by zzyyzx

Mike,

If you work on a car like this, I`d love the opportunity to come a observe (I promise, no questions this time). It would be great to see the results first hand. Thanks!!!

Scott

Sure thing Scott.

I always have something coming up, heck the Batmobile may be single stage, I won`t find out until I check it first hand.

I have a 1989 Lotus and a 1999 Calloway Corvette coming up, I don`t think they`re single stage finishes, but the condition of the paint is about as bad as it can get. They will make great before and after cars.

Tomorrow I`m heading down to Escondido to buff out this truck,

http://www.customclassictrucks.com/f...vehicles/5386/

More information and pictures,

http://www.hotrodscustomstuff.com/gorin.html

I`ll be posting pictures to www.ShowCarGarage.com

Also, if your interested, Meguiar’s is holding a 1-day seminar on wet-sanding, cutting and buffing on June 26th. This is an all day event that will cost $495.00 but includes $495.00 in products including a rotary buffer.

I’ll be posting more information real soon, if anyone is interested, please e-mail me at

mphillips@meguiars.com

Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    There was one up near Pasadena but it has been handled!!!

LOL!

The second mouse gets the cheese!

Post Thanks / Like
    Figures I`m moving out of state on the 18th.... ugh!!!

Thread Information