Post Thanks / Like
    A mix of a 1z and newbie question ...

I`ve decided to get 1z Metallic Polish and Paint Polish for use by hand and by a future PC in removing light scratches/swirls from a Honda and a 3 month old Acura. I also have a few deeper scratches in clear coat -- the kind you can easily feel with a fingernail. Will the PP likely take those out, or do I also need to get Ultra PP?

Obviously I can buy it, but I`m running out of space and want to keep the number of polishes to the absolute minimum for what I need to do.

FYI, I chose 1z (rather than other popular types) because I liked the flexibility to apply by hand or by machine. A downside is I`ll have to strip off the fillers to put Zaino back on.

Post Thanks / Like
    I recently had to remove some sorta bad scratches from an Audi. Now Audis have *VERY* hard clear (probably harder than yours), but *I* had to not only use the Ultra, but had to use a rotary! I tried various stuff by hand and PC, but the Ultra/Lake cutting pad/Makita combo was what it finally took. So I wouldn`t expect the Paint Polish to work in your case.

I sympathize with your desire to NOT purchase unnecessary additional products, but I`d recommend that you have the Ultra on had for when you DO need it. Note that *I* always have to follow it with the Paint Polish, as the Ultra leaves some micromarring of its own (and I work it a long time).

Note that sometimes deep scratches are SO deep that you really shouldn`t try to fix them lest you compromise your clearcoat. Generally, removing more than .1mil (which sure isn`t much!) can cause premature clearcoat failure. So be careful about pursuing perfection on a regularly driven car.

Post Thanks / Like
    I finally ordered the three 1z polishes: red, green, yellow given I have a BLACK Audi. Now I have to wait till Friday to get them

Hey, has anyone heard of/used 8000 and 10,000 grit sandpaper when repairing scratches? I`ve read some good stuff about them, seem like a good thing to have in the arsenal, now I`m looking to see how much they are and who sells them.
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Bill D

Hey, has anyone heard of/used 8000 and 10,000 grit sandpaper when repairing scratches? I`ve read some good stuff about them, seem like a good thing to have in the arsenal, now I`m looking to see how much they are and who sells them.

CDR, Accumulator posted good advice. Paint Polish is not sufficient if the scratch passed the fingernail test.

If using a rotary, just remember to apply moderate pressure and keep the RPMs low (800-1000) and then as it dries decrease pressure and increase rpms (1200-up).

BillD, regarding the super grit sandpaper, I wouldn`t purchase it. This is my personal opinion. In the shop, we never used or needed anything over 1500-2000 grit.... ever. Sounds to me like grit glutony

Regards,
    Mike
    einszett | Kenotek
    Cedar Park, Texas
    888-719-4698
    www.1z-usa.com
    Kenotek.detailersfinest.com
    einszett available at Autopia!

Post Thanks / Like
    :lol

Ok Mike, thanks for saving me the search :up
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Mike @Einszett

..If using a rotary, just remember to apply moderate pressure and keep the RPMs low (800-1000) and then as it dries decrease pressure and increase rpms (1200-up).

BillD, regarding the super grit sandpaper, I wouldn`t purchase it. This is my personal opinion. In the shop, we never used or needed anything over 1500-2000 grit.... ever. Sounds to me like grit glutony

Regards,

Yep, that`s EXACTLY how I used 1z with the rotary (little 4-5" pads for a localized repair). Followed up with more PP, then MP, with the PC in case I`d inflicted any holograms (could`t pull it out into sunlight to check).

Yeah, the extremely fine grit papers have their uses, but I sure don`t think those uses include car paint. My painter would agree with Mike, he thinks I`m silly to use 3K grit. He uses 2K then just follows up with compounds/polishes.

Thread Information