Post Thanks / Like
    I was persusing the Meg`s videos tonite. Two things said by Barry, that caused me to re-think what I thought I knew...

1. Meguiar`s #7 "gently polishes out microscopic swirls".

Hmmm... I thought this product was merely oils. If there _is_ any polishing going on, would this be a mechanical result of the buffing with the applicator/removal towel`s surface?

2. Meguiar`s machine pads should "never be washed". "Simply tap the pad with your hand to remove any residual, or clean the pad with a towel".

Hmmm... Maybe this explains why several of my Meg`s pads have separated from the velcro backing, as I insist on sticking them in a sink with dishsoap, then rinsing/wringing after each use?

I`m not sure I`ll get an answer to either of these, but just thought I`d offer them to the forum for possible discussion.

Jeff Laughhunn

That'll buff right out! jimmybuffit's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I`ll continue to wash mine.

To be sure, they are hand washed and air dryed, but washed, nonetheless.

I do not have the time, nor inclination, to store them individually in baggies according to product...

Over time, my procedure seems to work just fine...

BTW, I prefer Meg`s 6.5 pads on the PC over others...

Jim
    "If it was easy, everybody`d be doing it."
    www.jimmybuffit.com

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Jeff Laughhunn

I was perusing the Meg`s videos tonight. Two things said by Barry, that caused me to re-think what I thought I knew...

1. Meguiar`s #7 "gently polishes out microscopic swirls".

Hmmm... I thought this product was merely oils. If there _is_ any polishing going on, would this be a mechanical result of the buffing with the applicator/removal towel`s surface?

The cleaning action, or abrasive action comes from your application material, (foam, terry cloth etc,) which when working together with the action of your hand, PC, or Rotary buffer, creates a polishing action.

The oils in #7 act to lubricate and as such, buffer the polishing action of your material against the finish.

Consider this, if your were to take only a piece of terry cloth towel, and rub it aggressively against your car`s finish, you would undoubtedly instill scratches.

Take that same piece of terry cloth towel and add some #7 Show Car Glaze, and now you are able to polish the paint to a smooth, clear, high gloss. (Of course you could instill scratches if you rub to hard, but it wouldn`t be the #7 that was scratching the finish it would be the terry cloth under force.

Does that make sense?

2. Meguiar`s machine pads should "never be washed". "Simply tap the pad with your hand to remove any residual, or clean the pad with a towel".

Hmmm... Maybe this explains why several of my Meg`s pads have separated from the Velcro backing, as I insist on sticking them in a sink with dish soap, then rinsing/wringing after each use?

I`m not sure I`ll get an answer to either of these, but just thought I`d offer them to the forum for possible discussion.

Jeff Laughhunn

Meguiar`s never recommends washing our SoftBuff foam buffing pads. That said, I know a lot of people do it because it`s one of the only ways they know of to clean the pad.

2 things

1) The foam buffing pads being used today on Porter Cable dual-action polishers are foam buffing pads primarily designed for use with a rotary buffer.

Sure, you can apply some Velcro to the back, make a backing plate with a 5/16 auger, and slap this combination onto an air powered D.A., (Like Meguiar`s was doing as far back as the early 1980`s), or an electronic version borrowed from the wood furniture business, the PC, aka the Porter Cable Dual Action Polisher, and Yes... it works, but with issues, primarily those of cleaning, and sometimes falling apart.

Because the rotary buffer uses a direct drive motor, your product, (compound, cleaner/polish/pure polish/cleaner wax), is continually spinning outward, not inward, thus the only cleaning issue is one of cleaning contaminants off the surface, or reshaping tatty pads using either a wire brush, or a piece of #40 grit sanding paper.

With the PC, a wrench is thrown into the machinery.

The motor on the PC spins and oscillates at the same time, this dual-action motion, tends to impact, or drive your choice of product upwards, and into the pad. While the PC motor does spin in a rotational direction, it is not a strong enough rotation to cause your choice of product to spin out in the same way the rotary buffer`s direct drive rotational motion does.

Thus, after using the PC for a little while, say a hood, fender, part of a door, the pad begins to load up. This loading up of product continues until your pad is saturated with product.

Thus the question... "How do I clean my foam pads?"

One way, is to put the PC foam pad on a rotary buffer and bring your rpm`s up to your rotary buffers maximum speed. (Do this in a safe area or you will spray the wall, or car with product, you`ll for sure get some on your person).

But... not everyone owns a rotary buffer. Now what?

Most people resort to,

a) Washing by hand in the sink with warm/hot water and dish soap

b) Throwing the foam buffing pads into the washing machine with some Tide and cross your fingers and hope for the best.

Option A, is a safer bet than option B, but neither are recommended by Meguiar`s.

What to do?

Were working on a solution.

Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Mike Phillips

Were working on a solution.

Do you think that means a higher quality Velcro attachment? I think it`s possible... my Lake Country ones have held up after many washes.

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by BW

Do you think that means a higher quality Velcro attachment? I think it`s possible... my Lake Country ones have held up after many washes.

We have changed adhesives to a much stronger and more resistant adhesive, and I`m pretty sure the Velcro has been changed on the backing plate by now.

There are other things that were looking into.

Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Mike what happened to my pads here? Note separating pads.

http://www.autopia.org/forums/showth...threadid=32236
    Attached Images Attached Images

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Newport Viper

Mike what happened to my pads here? Note separating pads.

http://www.autopia.org/forums/showth...threadid=32236

I`ve done this before.

It comes from pushing down hard on your buffer while holding it on an edge.

At least that`s what it looks like.

Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Not sure what the cause. I used a Coastal Tool contour backing pad. I wondered if it had something to do with it?

That'll buff right out! jimmybuffit's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Newport: Most of my pads have that to some degree. In my case, it is from applying TOO much presure, and not keeping the pad flat.

Regarding Mike`s comments on product buildup, I agree with his explanation. Recently, I`ve really noticed with application of the NXT. I`ve realized I`m using tooo much product. Then, when I gently lift the PC *ALMOST* away from the surface, product smears on the surface, coming up from the pad.

I`ll try low speed rotary application today, with the same pad...

Jim
    "If it was easy, everybody`d be doing it."
    www.jimmybuffit.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mike, you certainly cleared up both of these questions for me. Thanks for taking the time to do so.

Jeff Laughhunn

Thread Information