Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, sadly my application of Collinite 476 does not seem to have survived 2 days of sitting in the NJ acid rain that burned by Poorboys EX making me try the Collinite in the first place. We were in Jersey for New Years and where my fiance`s family lives is in north central Jersey (Fanwood for anyone from NJ) and its not far from a lot of industrial plants and factories. I guess it was just too much for the Collinite which had been doing just great. It had only been about a month and a half since I`d put on 2 coats of the 476 too. Bummer. No beading and zero slickness to the paint. QD`ng is quite hard.

First time it gets abover freezing (next week sometime) I`ll throw on another coat. Its awesome stuff, touchless washes and road salt don`t faze it, but that NJ rain was just too much.

So my question is, what WILL last? Zaino didn`t, Poorboys didn`t now Collinite didn`t.

Post Thanks / Like
    Steve, is it possible that the surface is just real dirty from all the fallout which gives the appearance that the wax is no longer there but is really just underneath a surface of grunge?

It`s hard to believe, if not impossible, that the wax is gone in a couple of days.
    Cars: bringing people together

Post Thanks / Like
    Is the paint actually damaged from the rain or has it just destroyed the wax?
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by tom p.

It`s hard to believe, if not impossible, that the wax is gone in a couple of days.

He said it was on there a month and a half. Also, he mentioned QD`ing was hard, so I imagine he washed it.

I`ve no idea how it would hold up, but I found Blackfire seemed more resistant to crud and water spots than Zaino when I used it. Just a thought.

Post Thanks / Like
    Naa the finish is fine, and now that its QD`d it seems much slicker. I did wash it, ran it through the touchless then S&W`d it. HOPEFULLY the S&W removed whatever fallout film was on the paint and the wax is actually still there, we`ll see next time it rains. I see no damage anywhere on the car so even if the wax did fail, it did a good job protecting the finish all the way up until it did.

It still released the dirt pretty well in the touchless so we`ll have to see. It did not bead and roll off like the Collinite characteristically does on the ride home, but that COULD have still been whatever film was on the car. It will have to be washed again before I can put another coat on so I`ll be able to really test the beading then...

My EX though, when the NJ rain destroyed it I had just applied it before we left. Sat through steady rain a couple nights and it was REALLY gone. I normally get 4 months or so out of an application of EX BTW...

The rain up there is just nasty as hell. I`m surprised any cars have paint left

Post Thanks / Like
    Just curious but what industrial facilities are you talking about? I`m from that part of Jersey and there are no idustrial facilites or harmful factories anywhere near Fanwood. Lots of small business and warehousing but no fallout producting plants.

Post Thanks / Like
    If you stay on the Turnpike and drive up 2 or 3 more exits from the Parkway exit (Exit 11) there are all kinds or manufacturing plants. No idea what they are, but they`re everywhere. I always figured it was the relative proximity south of these plants that caused the rain to be so acidic.

Only time I ever had similar problems with rain was around the port of Baltimore, where it actually flaked the somewhat freshly painted trim off of the front of my Explorer wax was no match for that rain either.

You don`t have the same problem, does your car sit outside 24 hours a day?

Post Thanks / Like
    the air is full of crud everywhere. The East Coast certainly sees more than its fair share as we are downwind of the MidWest where serious polluters are located.

A car that sits outside a lot is going to be victimized by this...my daily driver sits outside all the time and it appears to have no wax on it at all only weeks after a thorough prep. i think we get the impression that the wax is gone when it`s really not.

If only there were a successful method for removing that top layer of dirt without stripping away the protective wax/sealant underneath...that would really be something.
    Cars: bringing people together

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by GoodnClean

If you stay on the Turnpike and drive up 2 or 3 more exits from the Parkway exit (Exit 11) there are all kinds or manufacturing plants. No idea what they are, but they`re everywhere. I always figured it was the relative proximity south of these plants that caused the rain to be so acidic.

Only time I ever had similar problems with rain was around the port of Baltimore, where it actually flaked the somewhat freshly painted trim off of the front of my Explorer wax was no match for that rain either.

You don`t have the same problem, does your car sit outside 24 hours a day?

Thats a stretch to say those are "near" Fanwood, agreed that we have some nasty rain but I dont think its any worse than anywhere in the general area (east coast). Any wax or polish on a car thats kept outside will be made short work of.

Post Thanks / Like
    A lot of homes in NE PA and western NJ burn coal in the winter, as well.

Tom

Post Thanks / Like
    try it, it holds up to our acid rain and industrial fallout better than anything else i`ve tried. good ol` louisiana is well known for it`s industrial fallout and acid rain, but i don`t think it`s as bad as NJ. if i had any samples i`d send them to you, but i`m fresh out right now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, but "near" in a meteorological sense. Dont have any problems around here when the car sits out...

Post Thanks / Like
    Really? DC isnt exactly far away. I would think that area is as bad, or worse as far as the industrial situation. But hey, as long as the wax/polish stays nice , who cares why!

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a Honda that sits outside 24x7 at my home in Essex County, NJ with one coat of AIO, one coat of Collinite Insulator and a coat of Blitz to top. All the trim and windows have a coat AIO. It has been months and the paint still beads great, salt and dirt don`t really stick. It has been over a month since I washed it. The paint is dirty but nowhere near as bad as all the other cars that have gone through all the snow and look like they are washed over in white.

I use Insulator on all the cars I detail for people who want me to winterize their cars. They are still beading great after 2 months. I wash them regularly and did a couple last week.

Although I don`t doubt your experience, I find it hard to believe that after a couple months, the 476 was gone. But, it ain`t like I don`t believe you! Just suprised.

Oh, it is 2 degrees outside today! I am trying a local detailer to have my car hand washed. I`m curious to check out his shop, methods, products, etc...
    Seth

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah no problems in DC at all. Meguiars lists DC as a high industrial fallout area when you get one of those prescriptions. Maybe its the introcustion of coal heat up there that you dont see around here, who knows.

Hopefully once it sees some rain now that it has been washed and QD`d the beading will be back. I`m definately open to the possibility thatit was just contaminants sitting on the surface impeading the beading.

I`ll be sure to keep everyone updated

And it was 8 degrees here today, 15 degrees now. Yikes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information