Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi,

Looks like I may not be able to get Lake Country pads in the UK after all, so may have to get Meguairs instead.

1) How do Meguiars pads compare to Lake Country pads in terms of quality, performance etc. Is it worth paying the extra for shipping to the UK for the Lake Country pads?

2) In the Meguairs catalogue I have, the pads are listed as 6.5 inch and 8 inch. Can I use the 6.5 inch pads with my 7424 and 6-inch backing plate, so long as I use the 6-inch counterweight?

3) re Lake Country pads, how the "finger" type pads compare to the other type of Lake Country Pads?

4) Any other info you may have.

Hope someone can help me.

Many thanks,

Face
    Pearl Black RenaultSport Clio 172 2.0 16v

Shed full of half-empty product bottles

Post Thanks / Like
    1. The Meg`s pads are fine. I use both brands and like them both. LC pads are not worth the extra shipping IMO.

2. Yes. Just use care when attaching the 6.5" pad as it is close in size to the 6" backing plate (bloody obvious, that).

3. The finger pads are best suited to rotary polishers IMO. I`ve used them with a PC and thought they vibrated too much and didn`t offer noticeably better performance. Their strength is as a replacement for wool pads on a rotary.

4. Nope. Enjoy the Meg`s pads.

5. I hope I have helped you.

6. You`re welcome.
    There are only three things you need to know about me. Gloss, Gloss, GLOSS!!

Post Thanks / Like
    What about the quality of the Megs pads? For my rotary- getting the DeWalt Bret from Costco- thanks for the tip, I was considering the Megs, but the things I have read said they aren`t very durable and the velcro seperates.

Post Thanks / Like
    Greg,

So far I haven`t had any problems. The Megs pads aren`t as robust feeling as the LC`s but I`m not sure that means anything. I guess people who use them every day might run into some issues but for us occassional users, they`re fine. One thing I do like about the Megs pads is they seem to clean up quicker and better. I can get them looking like new easily.

And I`ve figured out how to make the flat pad design work for me. They can make the rotary a little jumpy and hard to handle but its OK for me now. I will say the LC contoured pads are easier to handle initially.

All in all Meguiar`s pads get an :up from me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks very much Bretfraz.

5) You have helped me a great deal.

6) Appreciate it.

How do you clean the pads when they`ve been used? Can they be put in the washing machine with a little detergent?

Thanks again,

Matthew

Post Thanks / Like
    Matthew,

I clean mine by hand. I use some washing up liquid and water in a bucket and throw the pads in and let them soak awhile. I agitate them by hand over the sink and rinse thoroughly. If I need to use them ASAP I will put them on the PC and spin the water out of them at the highest speed. Otherwise I lay them on a towel and let them air dry. Finally I store them individually in plastic bags.

Post Thanks / Like
    Cheers,

Matthew

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Faceman

Hi,

Looks like I may not be able to get Lake Country pads in the UK after all

Why not? Have you talked to the UK distributer - can`t they get them? The contact is

Andy Lawton

Tel: 01782-817172

Fax: 01782-816988

He should be listed in the UK retailers thread, but I have a feeling that its not clear.

Dave
    I can`t believe you kiss your car good night.

C`mon baby tell me-you must be jokin`, right!
    Shania Twain

Citroen BX `88, Lomax 223 `85, Citroen 11BN `56

Patrick
    Im curious as to the LC pads makeup. I have used the Meg`s exclusively, and am not real pleased with them. The foam comes apart, I did have velcro issues, but Megs sent me new ones. (Does that solve the problem?)

Post Thanks / Like
    Butchdave:

I tried that number on friday, and got the announcement that the number is not available? So tried directories under first auto bodies, got a different number and that was no good either.

I`ve since sent an e-mail to lake country to see if there is another distributor.

Cheers

Face

Post Thanks / Like
    Just phoned the number - works OK. They say I need to speak to Andrew, but he was out at the moment. I left it there as I don`t want to buy pads just at the moment (I NEED pads, but I can`t afford them!)
    I can`t believe you kiss your car good night.

C`mon baby tell me-you must be jokin`, right!
    Shania Twain

Citroen BX `88, Lomax 223 `85, Citroen 11BN `56

Post Thanks / Like
    i finally got in touch with andrew. He only distributes in bulk it seems, but would do a small order for me. he also only sells 7 inch and 7.5 inch pads. Also, only has 2 types.

Think I`ll try meguiars or 3m pads in the meantime.

Thanks for you help,

Face

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve been using Meguiars pads for the past month or so and must say that I am disappointed with their performance. I have already had one fall apart on me (velcro came off) and Meguiars graciously sent me another, but just yesterday it met the same fate. I can`t say I like the flat design of them either.

I`m switching back to Lake Country pads now. I still have every pad I bought when I first got my PC (a little more than a year ago) and they are all in great condition.
    ~Miguel

Right Wing Conservative NozeBleedSpeed's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ive the same issues as many others with Megs pads. The LCs have been very good quality pads. I will order more LCs when I need new pads.
    Im Zaino free.

Post Thanks / Like
    What are the differences between the Lake Country pads at TOL and CMA? I noticed they`re listed as different sizes. Is there a reason for this? And which are preferred?

Thanks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information