Post Thanks / Like
    It`s not "up for review", so here`s my take on it.

Shrug. Clean wheels.

I tried it tonight on the wifemobile (`01 Malibu LS).

It`s a lot milder than the caustic (but effective) Eagle1 A2Z. Not that I`d spray it in my face, but it`s not wicked like the A2Z.

The instructions say to allow no more than 30 seconds dwell, and do one (cool) wheel at a time, then hose off. I did that, and the first wheel (F/L) still had brake dust on it; I got a stiff bristle brush and went at it, using a second application.

Not a miracle product. I don`t see a reason to prefer this product to another, or to cleaning wheels with car wash soap and a wheel-specific applicator. Wheels need to be wiped off

anyway, so what`s the point of this solvent rather than soap and water?

Tom

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree. I`ve taken to coating my wheels with Meguiar`s #20, then simply using a soft brush with soap and water to clean them. With #20 on them, the wheels clean up very quickly.

Post Thanks / Like
    Was this the "Hot Rims All Wheel Cleaner" or the newer black bottled "All Wheel Cleaner" that claims to be pH balanced?

I always found Hot Rims to be similar to the old A2Z. A bit acidic, and pretty strong, but not as strong as the new A2Z.

I am a big lover of #36 Hi-Tech Wheel Cleaner because it is pH balanced and non-toxic. You really could spray it in your face. I find it is easier to use than car wash soap, it does foam up, and I can spray it on the wheel and not get brake dust in my wash bucket. I spray it on, and use a chenile sponge and the wheels clean up easily (my wheels don`t get that dirty). It isn`t heavy-duty, though, and I use A2Z on the wife`s wheels (they practically turn black in a week).

I find #36 works more easily on brake dust and such than car wash soap, and it does not appear to harm the Klasse coating on the wheels (they still have that SG feel). I don`t like using car wash soap because it means I either have to:

- Wash my wheels first and then dump out the car wash from the bucket (no way I`d use it on my car after that), scrub the bucket down because brake dust sticks to the bucket really well, just like it sticks to wheels.

- Wash my wheels last, which means my car is sitting around drying itself while I spend time washing the wheels. And I still have to clean out the bucket very well afterwards.

I`ve thought about trying that new All Wheel Cleaner because it sounds similar to #36, but maybe I should just stick with what I already like.

Post Thanks / Like
    It`s not the "Hot Rims", it`s the "Gold Class All Wheel Cleaner", black bottled.

I usually do the whole car, using lambs-wool mitts, then do the wheels last with a chenille mitt, thus getting brake dust in the water, but only after having done the rest of the car.

I dunno, it`s so "in between". I`m not going to throw it away or anything, but I won`t buy it again, either. I have some #36 coming as part of the Meg`s Winter Special" (thanks for the heads up on that one, Aurora40). I`ll compare. I`d bet that the GCAWC is like watered down #36.

Tom

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with you all.....the Megs wheel cleaners aren`t on the top of my list. I found it to be just as time consuming to use a brush on the tims.

Though, I have HEARD....only heard, never tried, that Auto Magic makes a really sic rim cleaner. Very easy and not acidic. They have some stuff that is heavy duty, but some lighter stuff that still kills that nasty brake dust.....I need to get in touch with my local dealer.....

peace

Thread Information