Post Thanks / Like
    I just finished polishing my ride with my pc and was cleaning up my stuff when I thought if I was cleaning my pads right.

Here is what I normally do. Rinse with hot water and dawn and wring out until i see no more polish or soap. I never feel satisfied that my pads are clean and they certainly don`t look clean but what else should I do. What do you guys do?

Post Thanks / Like
    i soak in warm water with alittle oxiclean agitate with fingers for a few, let soak for another 5 mins rinse with clean water than slap it on the pc crank the dial to 6 to dry.

Post Thanks / Like
    I let them soak in hot water in the sink with Dawn for a while. Then I refill the sink with clean warm-hot water and more Dawn and agitate the pad with my fingers. I run them over the face of the pad sort of squishing it. I don`t like wringing them as it doesn`t seem like that would do the foam any good. Then I squish them in clean plain water, and then run them under the tap a bit. I squish out the extra water and just leave them to dry.

Post Thanks / Like
    Dawn and other products like it are detergents. I would use a degreaser and dilute it with water. Degreasers will pull much more product out of the pad and will leave no residue behind that could affect your results. Put it in a spray bottle, mist the dirty pad, agitate, and rinse with warm water. Let air dry. Don`t put pads in the dryer.

Also use degreaser on your towels and microfibers in the wash machine instead of detergent. A capfull of degreaser is plenty.

Ryan

Post Thanks / Like
    I wouldn`t freewheel the PC at 6. It will spin much faster then when it is loaded.

I usually just soak them for 15 minutes in warm water, agitate them, then rinse them well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Corey Bit Spank

I wouldn`t freewheel the PC at 6. It will spin much faster then when it is loaded.
    I wouldn`t either. If the pad is wet, it will be much heavier. This might not be good for the PC, and is probably going to strain the velcro adhesion.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a new technique I just came across on the last car I did. I spray it with some Eagle One A2Z and then run it under warm water, comes out perfectly clean . Then I let it air dry.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a question, at what point do you need to REPLACE the pad? I`ve done 3 cars and the foam isn`t as "springy"

Anyone?
    Fred

Guinevere, Red 94 BMW 325is.

Lancelot, Black 85 BMW 325e

Post Thanks / Like
    I rinse them out with warm water and "press" on them to get the product and water out of the foam. I then fill a bucket with hot water and a liquid laundry detergent like Dreft and let the pads soak for 30 minutes. After that I rinse them thoroughly under warm water and press on the pad to squeeze out anything that is left in them. I roll the pad like a tortilla to get any excess water out and then lay them out flat to dry on a sweater rack.
    `96 Jeep Cherokee Country - White - Gray Leather Interior

`02 Volkswagen Passat GLX - Reflex Silver - Black Leather Interior - 5 spd Manual

Post Thanks / Like
    Pads can last for years if cleaned right and used properly. I try not to mix products with pads. I use the same product pn the same pad always.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is my technique for cleaning.

I moisten the pad under the faucet and apply liquid Tide direcly to the pad. I work it with my thumbs a bit then let soak in a sink of warm water for about 10-15 minutes. I rinse under the faucet, then in a sink of clean water. Stick the pad on the PC and spin on 5 for a few seconds. They air dry the rest of the way.
    Nick

Post Thanks / Like
    An even easier and more effective way of cleaning all pads is to powerwash them. Hang the pads up on a wall (your garage door for instance) by applying strips of 3m velcro, generously apply degreaser and let soak. Come back in a few minutes and rinse and let them thouroughly air dry in the sun.

*To aid in drying, give the pad a whirl on a high speed at 3000 rpm!

Ryan

Post Thanks / Like
    The TOL 7.5" pads are machine washable. I just throw them into the laundry machine and go...

Dom

Post Thanks / Like
    I wash mine out in a bucket of water with some car wash in it and I just squeeze out the water and sling most of the water out and let hand dry. I used the 7.5 pads from www.topoftheline.com which are the www.lakecountrymfg.com pads... I use the orange, yellow, white, and black pads...

Post Thanks / Like
    I use Snappy Clean pad cleaning powder from properautocare. I use about half a packet in a 2-3 gallon container filled with water. When I am done, I throw it in the bucket and pull it the nest day, spray it out with a garden hose, wring it out, and let air dry.

I bought the product just to try it out at only 3.95, and I`ll be ordering a few more packs for sure.

Thread Information