Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by SteveL

After 3-4 weeks it looks as good as the day it was done, and beads like crazy. I can`t tell where the LS D stops and the Zaino starts! Sorry Mike, you embarrassed me into finsihing the rest of the car, and all I had around was Z5.

Is LS D & E just a "me-to" Zaino. Sounds like the results, appearance and short term beading ability are equal. :nixweiss

Not a bad thing since most Meguiar products can be found locally. :xyxthumbs

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by blkZ28Conv

Is LS D & E just a "me-to" Zaino. Sounds like the results, appearance and short term beading ability are equal. :nixweiss

Nope......The appearance of Lab Sample is on the opposite end of Zaino. While the Z5/Z2 Combo provides a highly reflective sharpe finish, the Lab Sample has more of a deep look to it. It`s deeper than S100 and #26 (I did side by side comparisons). It`s not quite a high gloss like S100. Lab Sample is a unique look really....it enhanced my Pearl Black nicely. The most amazing part of the Lab Sample is it`s ability to hide swirls and light scratches, it also seems to make my acid rain marks less noticeable which really surprised me. It`s almost like it takes the edge off of the scratches and make them more difficult to see. Another observation I made is Lab Sample doesn`t fill paint chips with chaulky white residue, it wipes clean......very much like Zaino. The sample I tried protects very well, I had a yellow bird dropping on my hood that was there for 24 hours and it didn`t etch the clear coat at all.

As everyone always says, "each product has it`s unique benefits", I think Meguiars has taken the benefits of several products and put it into one.
    Afshin

90 Porsche 928 GT - Marine Blue

09 MazdaSpeed3 - Metropolitan Gray Mica

04 Honda Pilot - Silver

Post Thanks / Like
    Now I am realllllly anxious to get some.

Thanks Afshin

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by SteveL

After 3-4 weeks it looks as good as the day it was done, and beads like crazy. I can`t tell where the LS D stops and the Zaino starts! Sorry Mike, you embarrassed me into finsihing the rest of the car, and all I had around was Z5.

Steve, please keep us updated on how the beading (and slickness!) holds up. Do you agree with Afshin - is the LSD side deep and the Z side reflective? Or is it like the beading... can you not tell where the LSD stops and Z starts appearance-wise? (I can`t with any product at all... IMO it`s all in the head.)

I must admit, though, I`m somewhat skeptical and not too enthusiastic to try LSD. I`ve heard and tried so many new products that claim they`re special and the best, but really never work as well as my favorites. Hopefully this will change.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds to me the appearance is very #26 like, warm and wet looking. I like that look as much as S100`s brighter look. If the durability is what is expected of a synthetic product and the ability to fill spider swirls holds up, I think it will do very well, especially in the professional ranks.
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Tomorrow I will be starting some real-world longevity tests using the newest formula "Lab Sample E". The chemist in charge of this project told me that this is now the finalized formula.

One of the chemists has been doing longevity tests all along on his own collection of cars which includes both clear coats and single-stage finishes and he has already told me the durability is awesome.

I actually have a test spot of one of the earlier versions, (Lab Sample B, I think), smack dab in the middle of the hood and without going into details, you can easily see the spot where I applied it. This was back in June.

From the multiple cars I have applied this new product too, at this time it would be my first choice for a last step product, (LSP), for both protection and appearance benefits

The filling characteristic, clearness, and darkenss is what I really like so far, plus the scent.

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like

Is LS D & E just a "me-to" Zaino. Sounds like the results, appearance and short term beading ability are equal.

I have tested Zaino, P21S, Pinnacle, and most of the rest of the waxes discussed here against Lab Sample E on both black single stage finishes and clear coat finishes, (over black base coat), and the darkness, clearness, and the ability to eliminate cobweb-effect of Lab Sample E is dramatically better in my opinion.

Of course, surface prep is the most important factor to determine your final results for any companies products and the nicer the results from your surface prep, the nicer the results from your last step product.

For some of my tests, hoods of cars were only washed with Dawn, then further stripped using a variety of chemical wipe-downs to insure a competely clean surface.

In other tests, the surface was first prepped using the normal Meguiar`s paint cleaners and cleaner/polishes using a Porter Cable dual-action polisher and the Meguiar`s W-8006 foam polishing pad.

Of course, the panels prepped with Meguiar`s paint cleaners and cleaner/polishes always looked better than the panels only washed with Dawn and chemically cleaned.

That said, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, thus your mileage may vary.

I don`t think Lab Sample E is a me-to product any more than Z-6 is a me-to product for quick detailers, of which I think Meguiar`s introduced the first quick detailer called "Trigger Wash" in the mid 1980`s. (Since then, there have been a lot of me-to quick detailers)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mike, narrow your scope. The me-to comes from this comparison:

Zaino a polymeric sealant with its accompanying dedicated polymeric re-enforcing QD - Z6.

LS D/E polymeric sealant with its accompanying polymeric re-enforcing QD.

Is this LS new cutting edge technology / chemistry, a completely different genre of paint protection and appearance. If so, great d I can not wait to try LS. Or just an improved polymeric sealant product. Again, if it does what testing has illustrated - Great. I am tired of shipping cost ( Meguiar`s is normally available locally ).

Not being hard-core, just trying to get a grasp of what LS D/E is.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ahhhh, but can you put it over top of #7?

Tom

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Mosca

Ahhhh, but can you put it over top of #7?

Tom

Hasn`t Mike been putting it over stuff like Hand Polish and SFP and such? I doubt #7 would be any different. Plus, all other Meg`s protectants can be used over a glaze.

Mosca, you`re a regular on showcargarage, can you picture Mike recommending you Dawn wash first to remove any oils prior to using LSE?

Post Thanks / Like
    Ha; I`m glad you got the joke!

Tom

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi blkZ28Conv,

Mike, narrow your scope. The me-to comes from this comparison:

Zaino a polymeric sealant with its accompanying dedicated polymeric re-enforcing QD - Z6.

LS D/E polymeric sealant with its accompanying polymeric re-enforcing QD.

According to your frame of reference, then yes, Lab Sample E is Polymer Protectant, with it’s own accompanying polymer booster protectant, (not a quick detailer, this product should not be used to remove light dust). Because words mean things, (just ask any lawyer), I carefully used the word, Protectant, in the above sentence, and not the word, wax, or sealant, even though all of these words can be used to describe products that accomplish the same goal, i.e. they protect the finish to which they are applied.

Neither the pure protectant, or the spray-on protectant, are waxes, per se, because neither of these two products contain any wax of any kind. So, in your comparison, then yes these two new products could be used in place of Zaino, BlackFire, UPP, and other products that are positioned as pure synthetic paint protectants. (Does anyone have a definitive list of pure synthetic paint protectants?)

Does that answer the first question?

Is this LS new cutting edge technology/chemistry, a completely different genre of paint protection and appearance. If so, great, I cannot wait to try LS.

Yes.

I asked the chemists the exact same question. This formula was created from scratch using all new polymer chemistry. Just like Meguiar’s new Velocity line of Mold Release, and Mold Sealer products, (for the mold release industry), these new products are true, breakthroughs in that they use, brand new polymer chemistry.

Or just an improved polymeric sealant product. Again, if it does what testing has illustrated - Great. I am tired of shipping cost (Meguiar’s is normally available locally ).

No.

This new product is not,

* #20 Polymer Sealant with the chemical cleaners removed.

* Medallion Premium Paint Protectant with the polishing oils removed

* #26 Hi-Tech Yellow Wax, (which is a blended wax, not a wax based solely upon carnauba), with the carnauba wax removed.

* Meguiar’s Cleaner Wax, (a wax that uses synthetic polymers, not wax), with the cleaners and polishing oils removed, etc.

* Gold Class with the polishing oils removed, and water beading ability added.

This is a completely new, fresh from the ground up, synthetic polymer formula.

Not being hard-core, just trying to get a grasp of what LS D/E is.

I appreciate that. But… it’s also okay to be hard-core, I know I am and so are many Autopians. This new product will never replace everything on the market, our waxes, or any other companies products.

Sometime last spring I started testing this early versions of this product. One of the first things I did was hold a halogen light over the hood of a Mercedes-Benz ML500 to see what kind of effect it was having. The effect was to fill in and hide swirls and scratches, or what I like to call, cobweb-effect. Compared to other popular waxes on the web, it did a better job of anything I was testing.

I guess this got me a little excited because I have never seen a product that could do this before and I instantly saw the value in this feature for preparing show cars for display. Of course, serious enthusiasts like those here on Autopia would also like this feature for both their toys and daily drivers.

I am going to start a longevity test of my own today on a co-workers black Honda Acura. I will take some picture and post them to my website along with any comments.

Good questions blkZ28Conv. You made me think, and take time to write-up what hopefully are good answers to your questions. :xyxthumbs

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Aurora40

Hasn`t Mike been putting it over stuff like Hand Polish and SFP and such? I doubt #7 would be any different. Plus, all other Meg`s protectants can be used over a glaze.

Mosca, you`re a regular on ShowCarGarage, can you picture Mike recommending you Dawn wash first to remove any oils prior to using LSE?

Never happen.

Dawn is a harsh detergent. Using simple common sense tells you that anytime you use a product that dulls the surface, you are thus working backwards, in the paint polishing process.

That is if your goal is to make the paint look good.

If your goal is maximum protection, then don`t use water beading as an indicator of protection.

Water beading is only a visual indicator of high surface tension.

True, it is also a visual indicator that a film previously applied is still present on the surface, (assuming the surface didn`t bead water before the film was applied), but it is not always an accurate indicator that the product you applied is actually protecting the surface from the things that would attack it.

I wrote all of the application bulletins and directions for using Meguiar`s Velocity Mold Sealer and Mold Release products and this is a case where the polymers in these two products must properly bond to the surface or the company could potentially stick a mold, (a bad thing).

No where do we ever say the mold surface must be washed with Dawn, or any harsh detergent, (or mild soap for that matter), before applying the synthetic polymer Sealer and Release to the mold surface.

In fact, the last recommended step before applying these two polymer products is to polish the mold with Meguiar`s #82 High Gloss Polish.

Dawn is good for dishes, bad for paint.

Of course, I always say,

"Find something you like and use it often"

So if you like washing your car`s finish, (and other components made from rubber, vinyl and plastic), with a strong detergent wash then Dawn is a pretty good choice because it is a strong detergent soap.

As for me, I’ll stick to products that work forward in the polishing process.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Mike, Yes your very informative response answered my questions.

Unfortunately, the answers just increased my desire to work with this new product. A spray on polymer re-enforcer! :xyxthumbs

Can they move up the introduction date?

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi blkZ28Conv,

I wish.

I`m actually pushing myself away from the keyboard to go upstaris and beg for another sample bottle from the lab to appy to the Honda.

Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 LastLast

Thread Information