Thread: Extractors

Post Thanks / Like
    Can you guys suggest a good extractor for detailing. I really am looking at something portable, reliable, strong water lifting power, and heated (is this impt?). I am looking at around $400 or less.

Also, can I get by with the Bissell Green machine?

Any suggestions will be appreciated. Just give me a brand name and your experience with the product, I will search on the details. Thank you.

Post Thanks / Like
    When I had my carpets cleaned (in my house) the carpet cleaner guy said that water heated to 185-200 degrees is the best thing for stain/spot removal on carpets...how true this is for car carpet im not sure...IMO heated is a good thing...but I`m not a professional detailer or anything so hopefully somebody with more knowledge will chime in here. I have used the little green machine in my home without much success though.

Post Thanks / Like
    marzen,

Check this one out

http://www.topoftheline.com/strikcarexsp.html

Anthony
    "The Art & Science of Auto Detail"

Post Thanks / Like
    Anthony, the link doesn`t work for me, could you re-post, I need an extractor myself.

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok Joed,

I don`t understand why it doesn`t work because when I clicked on it it took me right there but here goes anyways.

http://www.topoftheline.com/strikcarexsp.html

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Anthony Orosco

[B]I don`t understand why it doesn`t work because when I clicked on it it took me right there.

Ok, quit with the 007 stuff :p , I clicked the new link and it worked.

Post Thanks / Like
    Anthony,

How do you keep the carpet from getting too wet? I`ve been interested in an extractor as well, but was concerned over how well the lower-end units do in terms of actually extracting the water.

Thanks,

DavidM

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Anthony. I like the reliability and portability feature of this equipment. Just wondering if 74" water lift is good enough? It seems like higher water lifting power equals $$$. Can you say that heated units generally clean better and dry faster?

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey guys,

This particular machine is not a heated unit but you can add hot water to it if you so desire.

Hot water extractors come in to play when you deal with really dirty carpets, like those seen at a used car lot or a rental agency. I use this unit because it is small and yet powerful enough to take care of business. If you wish to use hot water you can get a water bucket heater and then just pour the hot water into the extractor.

The lmachines "lift" so far is just fine and leaves the carpets fairly dry when done. The key to cleaning carpets is to use the correct cleaner for your soiled area. The majority of grime in car carpets is 1) Dirt and 2) Grease picked up from parking lots and such. So the cleaner should be one that emulsifies dirt and grease but NOT a de-greaser made for engines. The one I use now is from "303" and it is a spot cleaner for carpets and fabric and it works GREAT!

I rarely use a cleaning agent inside my extractor but rather I use it as a rinsing machine. So I spray the carpets with the 303, let it dwell for at least 5 minutes and if real dirty I`ll agitate the carpet with a brush and then extract with the machine. If the carpets are lightly soiled the 303 should loosen up most of the dirt and then I just use the extractor with clean water as a rinsing agent.

It is easy to control the amount of water one releases into the carpet so over saturating should not be a problem at all.

I hope this helps and if not please let me know.

Anthony

Thread Information