Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    I mean, literally... it stinks! Smells like gasoline

I just received a huge shipment of detailing supplies, and one of the things I ordered was PUPP. I opened the bottle to smell it, and I nearly burned off every olfactory nerve I had

This was a harsh shock compared to Poorboy`s EX, which smelled like I could eat it. My problem with the Poorboy`s is that they need some new packaging, but the product I know is great... blah blah.

Anyone know why there are so many mineral solvents in PUPP? Smells like it could burn the paint off my car :nixweiss

-Bob
    2002 Midnight Black Swirl (I mean, Pearl) WRX

Post Thanks / Like
    Weird :nixweiss My UPP has one of the best scents in my detail collection

Post Thanks / Like
    At first i liked the smell. It reminded me of licorice. But when i was applying it today, the smell was stronger than usual. Maybe I hadn`t noticed before but it kind of "burns". It smells sweet but bad at the same time.

Strange name, ain't it? NattyBumppo's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well I`m not one who`s really concerned with the way exterior products smell. IMO, wasting money on adding any scent to a polish or final finish sealant is $$ that could have been saved and passed back to the consumer.

Having said that, I`ve not found the smell of UPP offensive at all. Certainly smells better than Klasse AIO or SG. Just my .02.

Natty
    Natty
    ------------------------------------------------
    "Sorry Miss, I just decided I don`t do mini-vans"

Post Thanks / Like
    for me the smell of the product is overated, if it works, it works. We all know if a new product came out and it had the highest shine any of us had ever seen and smelled like dog crap we would all be using it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by thomasfl

for me the smell of the product is overated, if it works, it works. We all know if a new product came out and it had the highest shine any of us had ever seen and smelled like dog crap we would all be using it.

Good point. Product smells arent that important, but i would rather an awesome product smell good if possible and didnt affect the performance of that product than have it smell bad...that said, i think Mequires GC and Scratch X are the best smelling products i have used to date, and Klasse does smell like trumpet/instrument oil.....

Post Thanks / Like
    I always take smell into consideration. It reveals the chemistry of a product - does it contain harsh solvents? Does it smell dangerous? Will it damage a clear`s film build? Does it smell like cheap pineapple masking paint thinner? Go grab an MSDS, and be prepared to see what some Autopian-favorite products are made of. You`ll be surprised...

Post Thanks / Like
    Exactly, BW. I am just worried that the solvents in the PUPP will possibly damage my paint.

I`m wondering why mine smells so bad, and others don`t notice it at all. I just got it, so I`m assuming it`s still good. Mine literally smells like gasoline :nixweiss

-Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Better than just wondering, why not email Dwayne and ask him. He`ll be ready to help you, I`m sure.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, it could be worse. People rave about the smell of Zaino but I think it smells like cough syrup. Maybe smell is in the nose of the beholder. Klasse smells like skunk sweat but nobody can deny that it works like a champ.

Post Thanks / Like
    If it smells good what chemicals are they trying to cover up and at what cost?

Packageing!! You complain that Poorboys comes in a cheap package? Good grief man. You don`t have to pay for a marketing department and expensive packinging and labeling and you complain about it. Amazing what TV and hype can do to people isn`t it. The package becomes the thing. The hype/spin become the thing. Blows me away.
    Dream big and be willing to do the work to get there.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by JimS

If it smells good what chemicals are they trying to cover up and at what cost?

Packageing!! You complain that Poorboys comes in a cheap package? Good grief man. You don`t have to pay for a marketing department and expensive packinging and labeling and you complain about it. Amazing what TV and hype can do to people isn`t it. The package becomes the thing. The hype/spin become the thing. Blows me away.

[rant]

Hey JimS, I didn`t say that "the package becomes the thing. The hype/spin become the thing" or anything like that. Obviously, since I actually BOUGHT the product, I am immune to whatever marketing/packaging that you think I`m susceptible to.

Yes, the labels on the Poorboy`s look cheap... but that`s not the big problem I have about them. My problem with them stems from the fact that when I got some water on the bottle, I got ink all over my hands. When you have a few bottles with paper labels like that, then it becomes hard to tell which bottle is which. That`s the problem I had with them.

If I was the type of person who went by what a package looked like, or what a website looked like, I would have NEVER bought Poorboy`s. I am not one of those people... but many Joe Consumers out there are. They could stand to use better packaging to make their image look up to par with their product. Even Steve from Poorboy`s admitted that their labels were getting updated in the very near future.

Before you judge me without knowing what I am talking about, slow down and breathe the fresh air. Before you let things "blow you away", figure out how the world works. Marketing is AS important as product in the real world, as if no one tries your product, no one will know how good your stuff is. Why do you think Turtle Wax is the #1 consumer wax??? Definitely not product...:nono

[/rant]

Back to the point of my thread, my PUPP smells to the point where I was scared to put it on my paint. I don`t need it to smell like peaches, but I do need to know what I`m putting on my paint. Since no one else has complained about the smell of PUPP, I was wondering: do I have a defective bottle?

-Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Here`s the thing, some sealants use high amount of solvents for cleaning the finish for it to bond to. Most of them have a high-grade Naptha in them. This is the most common solvent used in the industry, it`s cheap and plentiful. Not that`s it`s wrong, as it common.

Some also contain a low-level abrasive to also aid in cleaning the finish prior to it bonding.

You may want to contact the MFG and have a MSDS sheet sent to you so you know what you are dealing with.

Regards,

Deanski
    DR SHINE
    Swanky Shine (tm)
    What`s in YOUR garage? 997 Carrera S.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Deanski, I may have to do that.

I`m just curious why I am the only one who has noticed this???

-Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    I just put UPP on a white Aurora and it smelled pretty good to me, kinda like bubble gum!

Maybe you have a bad batch. I also heard that some companies do NOT put scents in their product for liability reasons. The thinking goes that if it smells like coconuts, bananas or bubble gum, then a kid will think they can eat it! The fact that it smells like the PD that are in all these products, that it won`t smell like something a kid wants to try!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information