Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Post Thanks / Like
    Okay, here are my $0.02 FWIW.

I used A2Z for several months last year on both my car and the parents` because the wheels on both of them are a PITA to clean. In that time both sets of vehicles had some pre-existing damage on at least one of the wheels (corrosion, paint problems, etc). During that time when I used A2Z on them I did not notice the problems becoming any worse than they already were.

Since then I`ve been experiementing with some "other" wheel cleaners, some acidic, some not, and the "good" wheels are still good, and the damaged wheels... well, they`re about right for going through a winter.

Incomplete rinsing maybe? :nixweiss

EDIT: A2Z does seem to be stronger than anything else out there - it can clean out my tire brush (white) while other cleaners can`t. I just haven`t seen it damage anything though...

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Deep_Freeze

I don`t have a sealant at the moment that I trust to put on my rims, wonder if Final Polish would be OK??? Like to just continue to clean them with a wheel cleaner, but if I can`t find one that is safe enough to use, guess I have to find other options.

When you say "Final Polish" are you referring to Menzerna Final Polish? If so I don`t think Menzerna FP has any type of protectant that would make your wheels any easier to clean (other than making the surface smooth. Or are you talking about it as cleaner and surface preparation product? What type of wheels and/or finish are you getting? Check with the manufacturer of the wheel on what they recommend to clean them.

Curious, why don`t you trust zaino or klasse?

If you are really concerned you really can`t go wrong with a two bucket method of washing with a mild soap like Z7 and wash mitt (I don`t use brushes on my wheels). Change the rinse water frequently and use plenty of water in your cleaning also. Frequent washing will help in the cleaning.

Side note on wheel damage and wheel cleaners. The actual brake pads on the car could be part of the problem also. The dust from some high performance track pads when mixed with cleaners and/or water combinations can make for some really corrosive stuff.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve only used A2Z once on my wheels to get them squeaky clean just before I applied Zaino to them. I can get them very clean now just with regular Z7 washing. Won`t use A2Z again on them unless I want to re-apply Zaino. I think any wheel cleaner will just strip off any sealant you put on the wheels.

Plus, I don`t think wheel cleaners are that safe for clear-coated wheels if used often. I can`t think of anyone considering it safe to regularly spray some wheel cleaner to clean the clear-coated paint of the car thinking it was fine to do so. Can you?

Post Thanks / Like
    I stick with car wash soap and brushes for cleaning wheels. I`d rather not replace some chrome 19" AMGs on a customer`s car that some wheel cleaner etched or streaked.

I`ve been using Moose Wax on wheels now with great results. It seems to have a great resistance to heat than carnuba waxes and the brake dust seems to wash off more easily.
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by bet993

When you say "Final Polish" are you referring to Menzerna Final Polish? If so I don`t think Menzerna FP has any type of protectant that would make your wheels any easier to clean (other than making the surface smooth. Or are you talking about it as cleaner and surface preparation product? What type of wheels and/or finish are you getting? Check with the manufacturer of the wheel on what they recommend to clean them.

Curious, why don`t you trust zaino or klasse?

If you are really concerned you really can`t go wrong with a two bucket method of washing with a mild soap like Z7 and wash mitt (I don`t use brushes on my wheels). Change the rinse water frequently and use plenty of water in your cleaning also. Frequent washing will help in the cleaning.

Side note on wheel damage and wheel cleaners. The actual brake pads on the car could be part of the problem also. The dust from some high performance track pads when mixed with cleaners and/or water combinations can make for some really corrosive stuff.

Actually, I was referring to the stuff recommended by Scott: http://carpolishes.safeshopper.com/11/15.htm?270

Honestly, I don`t use much stuff that I have to get online, not cause I don`t like it or anything. Just haven`t done it yet. I don`t really want to use zaino, but klasse is definitely an option. I am looking for a good (great) polymer that I can use for the winter on my car and can use it on the wheels also. A durable and attractive polymer that can be topped with s100 well, and I guess I am still searching for it.

My wheels have a clearcoated center with polished lips. Bought some Mother`s Billet Alum polish for the lips, and now I guess I will just use soap and water on the centers since I will not use A2Z (thanks to this trend).

BTW, I already have the low dust brake pads that I want to put on my car to combat dust, just waiting to put them on at the same time as my wheels.

Strange name, ain't it? NattyBumppo's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve been using Meg`s APC+ at about 10:1 dilution with no problems that I can see. Also tried AutoInt Omni which, according to Ketch, at 10:1 dilution is perfectly safe for any surface. It worked OK but not quite as good as APC+. Still, knowing that Omni is extremely safe is a nice comfort level.

Anyone ever tried Megs Citri-Gel on wheels? Fome what I`ve read it`s supposed to safe for pretty mcuh any wheel or surface and the fact that it`s a gel shold cling well on vertical surfaces. I may just have to buy some and try it out.

Natty
    Natty
    ------------------------------------------------
    "Sorry Miss, I just decided I don`t do mini-vans"

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Scottwax

I stick with car wash soap and brushes for cleaning wheels. I`d rather not replace some chrome 19" AMGs on a customer`s car that some wheel cleaner etched or streaked.

I`ve been using Moose Wax on wheels now with great results. It seems to have a great resistance to heat than carnuba waxes and the brake dust seems to wash off more easily.

Me too. Moose Wax on wheels does wonders. Excellent use for it. Moose Wax is a wonderful product on paint too! I enjoy it very much. VM on wheels too works well - don`t know about the durability.
    Seth

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by bet993

I have never used wheel cleaner on any of my cars and can pretty much get them spotless with Z7 and a wash mitt and about 2-3 minutes a wheel............. I can understand those that do detailing for a living because time is money but for the fanatics l don`t understand.

I agree. I haven`t used wheel cleaner for years on my cars....never saw the need to. A few shots Poorboy`s Spray & Wash and the brake dust on my wife`s bimmer wipes off with a single swipe. The same can be said for a Z-7 soaked microfiber mitt.

I can understand professional detailers using a good strong cleaner, but for my own cars, my preference is to stick with the mild stuff and frequent detailing. I don`t buy the argument that using car shampoo and a mitt will leave a residual amount of dust on the rims.

Post Thanks / Like
    :scared aaaaaah!!!

I am about to use up my 21 Oz. A2Z Aerosol. So far, I have not noticed any problem with the product. I have been using the product for 6 consecutive weeks now. I really like the PUNCH on how it cleans but if it has a long term bad effects on my Brand New Wheels on my Brand New SUV then I`VE GOT TO STOP USING IT (A2Z) before I get to feel sorry in the end.

BTW, from what I have read about wheel cleaner comparison from CMA, A2Z is the strongest about 14.5 "alkalinity" while Eimann Fabrik High Intensity is about 12.

Thought I found the best product for cleaning wheels. It turned out to be :nono . Maybe i`ll just use it once a month (widthrawal symptoms) :p

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m with most of the responses here. I used A2Z the first time I cleaned my wheels, and then sealed with #20. Since then, soap and water is plenty efficient for me. A new coat of #20 or AIO every coupla months and I am good to go.

However, for client cars, I still break out the A2Z. Nothing else will remove brake dust like it. I don`t know how Scottwax does it, but man, I had this 9 year old Accord which had been washed maybe once in its whole life. The wheels were gunmetal, or so I thought, until I was finished with the A2Z. Brutal.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have only used A2Z on my BMW`s wheels since we bought it a year ago. This stuff is great and always manages to clean the wheels.

It has been one year, the car is washed every 2 weeks and the wheel cleaner is used every time it`s washed because the BMW pads dust so much.

There is no damage to the clear coat on any of the wheels, but where some of the brake dust has baked onto the wheel, it`s left some marks in the crevaces (sp?).

However my car (Audi) that I wash every week, I only use soap and a wash mitt on the wheels, no wheel cleaner. Never used any wheel cleaner on my old GTI with Polished Audi TT wheels and soap and water always cleaned them (But I did have porterfield pads - low dust).

So, overall, no I haven`t seen any damage from using A2Z for a year on my BMW`s wheels.

Jngr, who makes the wheels you have on your car?

- Anthony

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, it depends on who you ask. The brand is from Katana. The back of the rim is stamped Lenso (which also makes a Concept Five design). I`m told they are manufactured along side Racing Harts, but I`m not too sure about that.

I checked all four rims pretty closely for damage this morning. The funny thing is that the only two rims showing damage are the two that my loving wife curbed for me this spring. The damage areas aren`t anywhere near the curb rash though. Oh well... It doesn`t matter because I put on new rims last Thursday so all is well. The other side is fine so far, but I`ll be using A2Z less frequently now thanks to you guys and your advice.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information