Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Does Milwaukee make a non-rotary polisher/buffer? Im starting to work at a detailing shop and I asked my boss if they used a rotary and he said no. Then i asked what kind they had and he said it was a Milwaukee. Thanx in advance

Post Thanks / Like
    no they dont make any dual action polisher. maybe there are useing a circular sander with a bonnet but I highly dought that. the only good dual action polisher is the PC for rotarys makita,metabo,dewalt,milwakee are the best.

Post Thanks / Like
    do circular sanders burn through paint if used incorrectely like rotaries?

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes/No let me explain they do I dont know of to many people that have used a circular sander for detailing. and no Rotarys dont burn through paint its a stupid myth people made up the only way you could burn the paint is useing a pad with compound at 1500+ RPM holding it in the same spot for more then 30 seconds its almost impossible.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Fr0zen

Yes/No let me explain they do I dont know of to many people that have used a circular sander for detailing. and no Rotarys dont burn through paint its a stupid myth people made up the only way you could burn the paint is useing a pad with compound at 1500+ RPM holding it in the same spot for more then 30 seconds its almost impossible.

Stupid myth eh? Yeah, OK. It`s NOT a stupid myth. Rotary buffers CAN, repeat CAN, burn paint below 1500 RPM and it does not matter if your using a compound or not. Use the wrong pad angle, guess what? Burnt paint! Get an edge close to the end of a panel, guess what? Bye bye paint. Apply to much pressure to the machine, guess what? You got it, bye bye paint!

You see, just moving the buffer and product/pad selection does NOT prevent people from burning paint. There is much more to it than that.
    Taking my signature to it`s MAXIMUM POTENTIAL

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh, where to start....

It`s stupid myths like "rotary`s don`t burn paint" that cause people head aches. Guys who have never touched a buffer read crap like this and run out to buy one. Then, they fire it up with some FI-II with the hope of removing that minor defect that`s been nagging them, only to discover that yes, the rotary did remove the defect, but it also removed clear, paint, trim, side mirrors and other valuables.

Then, we all get the "help! I think I ruined my paint!" messages.

How`s about I come over to your place with my rotary (set at speed, say, 1200) and we`ll see if I can burn your paint in less than 30 seconds?

Post Thanks / Like
    haha, i found out we use a dewalt rotary. I watched them use it and it seemed like they were using a lot of pressure on it. They were using the edges and sorta push outwards. Are there any faqs/guides on using a rotary. I won`t be using one at work anytime soon but i would like to learn so I can. i have access to one from a friend so i might practice on some panels from the junk yard.

Post Thanks / Like

a) I hate to burst your bubble but some of the rotary buffers in use today do double duty as sanders. When I buffed out my father`s SUV years ago using a rotary, the same rotary was used to sand the paint off my Cutlass earlier in the day. BTW, it was a Milwaukee.

b) Got more news for ya. You CAN burn the paint with a rotary. As SRL and Geeky said, if you hang too long at the edges, you run the risk of burning paint because the paint is much thinner at the edges. Also, rotaries tend to generate a greater amount of heat which makes them more effective in polishing but if they are on the same surface for a long time, you run the risk of roasting the paint.

Before you ask the question of how I know.....it`s called experience. I used a rotary for the first time at the age of 19 and burned the edges of my father`s SUV and burned a spot on the hood of my father`s Seville (Might I add, the paint on said Seville was a pain in the rear to match).

Post Thanks / Like
    I didnt say you couldent but people make it sound like its so easy and it can happan in a blink of an eye. If you take it slow the first time work on lower less visible panels you are highly unlikely to damge anything. Ofcourse if you bust out at 1300rpms with a yellow cutting pad and compound trying to get that one scratch out then you will burn the paint. Just takeing it easy the first time is key I watched the Meguiars Video before I started with the rotary.

My first post was a little to general for the newer guys.

Does anyone have a link to the dewalt or know how much it runs the random orbital that is.

Post Thanks / Like
    Nvm I belive I found it looks very similar to the PC

Dewalt DW443

Link

Bosch 1370DEVS

Link

Post Thanks / Like
    where can i find this video at? Are the any guides on the internet?

Post Thanks / Like

Now

I didnt say you couldent but people make it sound like its so easy and it can happan in a blink of an eye. If you take it slow the first time work on lower less visible panels you are highly unlikely to damge anything. Ofcourse if you bust out at 1300rpms with a yellow cutting pad and compound trying to get that one scratch out then you will burn the paint. Just takeing it easy the first time is key I watched the Meguiars Video before I started with the rotary.

WTF dude?

Post Thanks / Like
    In direct opposition you make it sound like you just fire up the machine and keep it moving and you won`t have any trouble. Not the case.

Oh, and FYI, it can happen in the blink of an eye.
    Taking my signature to it`s MAXIMUM POTENTIAL

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok whatever Im not going to start a thread war. Anyways I have never had problems useing a rotary and have never damaged anything while useing one. I Also started out without any previous Experience useing one just watching parts of a video.

Post Thanks / Like

My first post was a little to general for the newer guys.

Ah...how long have you been using a rotary exactly?

Making a bold statement that burning paint with a rotary buffer is only a myth is not only foolhardy but down right WRONG!

Never had problems with the rotary? How many cars have you worked on? How many have buffer marks?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information