Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve been using Back to Black for a couple of months now -- on different parts of three different cars, and I`m ready to give it a thumbs-up.

The greatest achievement for this product was on the `91 Benz, whose rubber bumpers were a pitiful sight -- that faded, chalky-white look. Used it last night, and the results are truly "like new." Easy on, easy off.

Process: First, I cleaned the bumpers very very thoroughly. The last time I had used B2B (on another car), I got the "streaky/greasy" look that others have commented on. But the time before that, I had great results. So ... says I to myself, maybe they must be really clean. This time, after washing the whole car, I sprayed the bumpers with APC+ (8:1 dilution), scrubbed with a moderately soft brush, rinsed, then sprayed, washed, rinsed again, then dried.

I applied the product onto a barely dampened foam pad. To get into the little crevices, I used a foam brush (like the cheap ones for painting). Waited maybe 2-3 minutes, then buffed off with cotton terry cloth.

I`m delighted with the results. Looks matte and deep and .... well ... "Back to Black."

Can`t yet comment on durability of this effect.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, I have been mulling over this product and am about to try it!!
    2001 Volvo S80 Black
    2002 Volvo C70 Silver

Post Thanks / Like
    Lynn,

I`ve tried B2B before, and wasn`t all that impressed with the durability. I suppose it would have increased if I had used multiple applications. It will be interesting to see how long your applcation lasts.

DavidM

Patrick
    I too had good luck with B2B, however...............

Durability was a major downfall, unfortunately.....maybe 2 washes and it was gone...

T/W actually makes a product, black chrome, that i felt outperformed mothers.......

Post Thanks / Like
    Mother’s Black-to-Black gives me better results than any other product that I’ve tried. For superior results try using Forever Black before the B2B. FB is a dye, an for it to penetrate properly the surface must be free of wax, oils, silicone, etc. Scrub first with an alcohol/water solution.

If you get any blotchiness its because you didn’t get the trim clean enough. Let the FB dry for half and hour, apply a second coat. Let it dry for an hour or two, then apply a coat of B2B, let dry and then buff with a terry towel.
    <B>OCD</B> sufferer and charter member of the
    <B>A</B>nal <B>R</B>etentive <B>Z</B>3 <B>O</B>wners <B>A</B>ssociation

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the tip, Nick. I do have Forever Black on hand. Maybe I`ll try that on one of the other cars.

Post Thanks / Like
    :hm .... Didn`t mean to make a pun!

Post Thanks / Like
    Just thought I`d put in my .02 about B2B. I wasn`t impressed with the results on my exterior trim so with a tip from Lynn, I decided to try it on my interior. (Black and Charcoal Gray) It did wonders! It eliminated the chalky vein look on my dash and doors and it seems to be getting darker the longer the product stays on. It doesn`t leave a greasy look, it absorbs into the surface quite nicely and leaves a soft sheen instead. Lasts long since it`s not exposed to the elements. I`m thinking about giving it a second chance on the trim....:xyxthumbs

Post Thanks / Like
    How about "topping" the B2B with something with a UV, such as 303? Do you think the 303 would take the B2B off, or protect it?

And what about a wax ON TOP of the B2B and/or 303- might that increase longevity?
    2005 Porsche 997 Carrera S. Mods: ECU, Plenum, Custom Exhaust, Turbo Wheels.

Patrick
    Nick, its ok to top FB with something? I went to Pep Boys over the weekend to get some and they didnt carry it....I never thought of re-conditioning, if I used FB.....Good idea..

Post Thanks / Like
    I used BTB yesterday to remove some SWM and wax stains from several different types of black trim around my windows and truck bedrail protectors. Worked better for me than my Crystal Mist or Showtime.
    2003 F150 Red Supercrew

1999 Sedan Deville Concours

Post Thanks / Like
    Its cheap and the bottle last awhile, even if the product doesn`t IMHO:xyxthumbs

Post Thanks / Like
    I am with Patrick....I use Black Chrome on my exposed rubber and plastic. I will have to try Back to Black.

Thanks Lynn.
    Be Nice

Post Thanks / Like
    Not impressed at all.

I used it mainly on my S-10 because it has the Tahoe sport package black trim everywhere (Body molding, wheel arch, mirrors, weatherstripping, bed caps, front grille).

The stuff lasted about a day. Tire foam in a rag or Meguiars tire gel, or even my favorite Meguiars #49 Vynl & Rubber is way better and last longer.

On my WRX, the bottom side skirts and cowl were the application areas. Again, the stuff lasted a day.

Save your money and buy the Vinyl & Rubber #49 Meguiars and be done. Tire foam again does it all!! Just another bold attempt by Mothers to be cute.

:down
    `05 STI (Aspen white/gold), CB-M105-M205-Four* Premium Paint Protection w/7424xp

Post Thanks / Like
    I don`t doubt your experience, WRXedUSA. But ... I went back out yesterday and took another close look at the Benz bumpers. To me, they still look pretty good. Not quite as deep a black as they were 12 days ago, but the chalky/grey look has not yet reappeared. In person, the look is a little deeper than in this shot. I`m still sold on B2B.

Thread Information