Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Steve (Poorboy) was kind enough to send me a sample of his NEW carnauba based qd, called QD+.

It is not available for sale as yet, but is near from what Steve has told me.

I received the QD+ yesterday night.

I have to say that this is totally different in texture than that I have been used to. The color is milkish and spreads similar to Pinnacle crystal mist (yet is easier to see what you are doing because of the color). It is like I am spreading s100/ps21 initally as it is being buffed (interesting ). It spreads easily as the other top carnauba qd.

I did a quick comparison side by side on my black car topped with souveran wax. I used EFCP and Pinnacle CM as the other qd. QD+ spread as much as they did, it buffed off as easily (slightly thicker in texture, more in line with Pinnacle than EF). I liked it that you could actually see the product being buffed out and where it was spread to (as compared to the others since they are colorless).

The shine (mind you I did it in the garage at night where I do have good light, not great) was definitely on par: I could not tell the difference. I have put CM and EFCP on the top tier for carnauba QDs. QD+ is definitely there!!

I actually think that the QD+ felt the slickest (no scientific analysis, only me feeling each section as I went along the entire car comapring these products. I could have been losing it by that time being it was late .

I accidently sprayed some on the sideview mirror. It buffed off to a great shine and was very slick to the touch.

I tried some on top of the car hood which was still warm from driving the car. THe QD+ buffed easily with no smearing.

I then tried applying QD+ by directly spraying it onto my mf. It actually spread/buffed easier .

I am still playing with it (need to try it in the sun and compare it during daytime). I have to say my initial impressions are:bounce :up .
    2001 Volvo S80 Black
    2002 Volvo C70 Silver

Post Thanks / Like
    ashsarna,

Great Review! :xyxthumbs

If it is as good as Crystal Mist, we have a winner!

Let us know when you can judge the results in better light and how the dust attraction is compared to CM.

Cheers,

My Black 7 Series

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks AMP99 ,

I will have to wait till later to try it in the sun. I do have some insights (albeit early in testing):

1) It seams that EFCP is the fastest to buff off (to a shine), actually my non carnauba QD seem have that trait. Pinnacle CM and QD+ take slightly longer. It is easier to see the buffing process of QD+ as it is not clear in color, maybe that is why I think it may be slower to buff. I did notice though, that if you miss a spot to wipe off it will haze to a white color. I think that is cool because you can spot where you missed and wipe it off with an mf easily (unlike the clear CM, I would not notice if I missed a spot until I took it in to the sunlight).

2) May be my imagination but it seems QD+ is better at tackling very light dust as compared to CM. I find that EFCP and QD+ do slightly better.

Updates as I get:up.
    2001 Volvo S80 Black
    2002 Volvo C70 Silver

Post Thanks / Like
    How do these compare? Shine, pricing?

Post Thanks / Like
    Gadfly,

I have not tried QS as yet (i will soon). I kept my "experiment" within qd that were carnauba based. It will be interesting to compare it to QS since that and QD+ are both sunlight friendly.

In pricing, I do not have any prices, as Steve has yet to price the product.
    2001 Volvo S80 Black
    2002 Volvo C70 Silver

Post Thanks / Like
    I took some advise from Steve and purchased a 2 oz. spray bottle from Walmart cosmetic department . The QD+ was definitely easier to spray(and more spread!!). I say that using two mf is best (wipe on and wipe off).

I am waiting for a sunny day (weekend likely), it is cold/rainy presently, to try QD+ on the car.

Update: all three QD are looking great (I think that CM and QD+ are ahead in the slick category). The dust attraction is difficult to determine at the moment: the first day they all seemed to attract the same amount, the second day CM attracted the most (I dust the car every evening).

I have noticed that the wheels with QD+ are easier to clean. There is no pressure involved:up .
    2001 Volvo S80 Black
    2002 Volvo C70 Silver

Post Thanks / Like
    The verdict:

I tried QD+ in the sun and worked :up (no streaks).

I have noticed that the past three days the dust collection on the car has been less than usual where QD+ was applied. I am not sure but imo the qd had something to do with it.

This is a unique type of QD that lived up to my expectations.
    2001 Volvo S80 Black
    2002 Volvo C70 Silver

Founder Poorboy's World Poorboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Ash...

The Walmart sprayer was actually Natty`s suggestion..got to give credit where it`s due. How did you apply it...direct or to mf?

I like the latter. I find it collects a tiny bit more dust than Spray and Wipe...but it`s hardly anything to worry about...

Steve

it should be available in a few weeks...

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Poorboy

Thanks Ash...

The Walmart sprayer was actually Natty`s suggestion..got to give credit where it`s due. How did you apply it...direct or to mf?

I like the latter. I find it collects a tiny bit more dust than Spray and Wipe...but it`s hardly anything to worry about...

Steve

it should be available in a few weeks...

I prefer applying it on the mf too, it seems to give a more even spread for me. I would suggest using a second mf to buff as this speads up the process.

I am not too suprised about s&w attracting less dust. I actually used it today after I washed and dried the car in the sunlight (s&w easily brought the shine alive and removed any water spots).
    2001 Volvo S80 Black
    2002 Volvo C70 Silver

Strange name, ain't it? NattyBumppo's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    ashsarna....very interesting to read your review of QD+...it was like dejavu all over again LOL. I also tried the QD+ a week or so ago and seems like you and I were proceeding along the same lines.

FWIW...I too prefer the two mf method with QD+. 2 spritzs directly onto a quarter folded MF, wipe on in straight back and forth strokes, wait 10 seconds for a light haze and buff off with the other mf. My fist try was in direct, mid day sunlight. I let some of the hazed QD+ sit for a long time (30 minutes) and it wiped off just as easily as letting it sit 10 seconds.

Yep....Steve needs to change that spray bottle he has. That thing could put out an eye! LOL Luckily fo me I just happen to have an empty CM spray bottle I kept for just such an emergency .

I`ve never used EFCP but I have tried CM and been using OGSO for a while and the QD+ is definetly a different type of QD, IMO. I was extremely impressed at the gloss it returned to the finish. I guess that`s why he named it QD+?
    Natty
    ------------------------------------------------
    "Sorry Miss, I just decided I don`t do mini-vans"

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by ashsarna

The verdict:

This is a unique type of QD that lived up to my expectations.

Would you expect anything less from Poorboys and Steve :xyxthumbs

Hopefully I will be running my trials this week. Can`t wait!! :bounce

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by NattyBumppo

... My fist try was in direct, mid day sunlight. I let some of the hazed QD+ sit for a long time (30 minutes) and it wiped off just as easily as letting it sit 10 seconds.

Yep....Steve needs to change that spray bottle he has. That thing could put out an eye! LOL Luckily fo me I just happen to have an empty CM spray bottle I kept for just such an emergency .

I`ve never used EFCP but I have tried CM and been using OGSO for a while and the QD+ is definetly a different type of QD, IMO. I was extremely impressed at the gloss it returned to the finish. I guess that`s why he named it QD+?

NattyBumppo, actually Steve told me that you gave the idea of the CM spray bottle.

After you waited for it to haze, I bet it felt like you were dusting off a wax like s1000/ps21.Pretty cool.
    2001 Volvo S80 Black
    2002 Volvo C70 Silver

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by blkZ28Conv

Hopefully I will be running my trials this week. Can`t wait!! :bounce

blkZ28Conv,

Steve was telling me you were EAGER to try QD+ but were busy with things at home/work. Good to see you back in action .
    2001 Volvo S80 Black
    2002 Volvo C70 Silver

Post Thanks / Like
    Have had the QD+ for a week or so and agree with everything that has been posted so far. Use it hand in hand with Porboys EX and find it outstanding for shine, smoothness and clarity. And this is on white autos.

Must be super on dark colored cars.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by ashsarna

blkZ28Conv,

Steve was telling me you were EAGER to try QD+ but were busy with things at home/work. Good to see you back in action .

Thanks Ashsarna. Good to be back testing. I was quite jealous that I could not participate in the initial QD+ testing but things are coming back together and I can spend time DETAILING!!!!

Sprongs, I`ll let you know how it looks on black. :wavey

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information