Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Serious no BS kinda guy forrest@mothers's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by Nick T.

[B]It?s been widely reported that the inexpensive ?Clay Magic? sold in Pep Boys, AutoZone, etc. is not the same product as the real Clay Magic! But, that is only hearsay - I?ve never used the cheap Clay Magic myself.[B]

Nick - I`ve never seen this widely reported on any detailing board, and it`s just not true.

The only difference between the bar sold at the mass retailers and the pro shops is the size - 100 gr vs 200 gr.

You can use either bar (properly) without fear.
    forrest

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by forrest

Nick - I`ve never seen this widely reported on any detailing board, and it`s just not true.

The only difference between the bar sold at the mass retailers and the pro shops is the size - 100 gr vs 200 gr.

You can use either bar (properly) without fear.
    Forrest - - Since you are an industry expert I certainly must defer to your knowledge.

Since I’ve only used the 200 gr Clay Magic and have never experienced any of the problems that have been reported with the mass retailer Clay Magic, I’m at a loss to understand the crumbling and sticking problems that have been reported. Do you have any ideas?
    <B>OCD</B> sufferer and charter member of the
    <B>A</B>nal <B>R</B>etentive <B>Z</B>3 <B>O</B>wners <B>A</B>ssociation

Serious no BS kinda guy forrest@mothers's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    The majority of problems I`ve seen all are related to using an improper lubricant (they recommend use of a detailer, not water or soap/water) or technique (using it on a hot surface, too much pressure. etc).

I even saw one instance where they failed to remove the clay from the plastic wrapper.
    forrest

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by forrest

The majority of problems I`ve seen all are related to using an improper lubricant (they recommend use of a detailer, not water or soap/water) or technique (using it on a hot surface, too much pressure. etc).

I even saw one instance where they failed to remove the clay from the plastic wrapper.
    :LOLOL

I’ve only used a car shampoo/water solution as a lubricant with Clay Magic and have never experienced any problems, so I don’t think that using a soap/water lube is the cause of problems.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by SHPatel

I Plus the only people that I let use my equipment are people who can detail at the same caliber I do.

And what caliber would that be? ....If both you and your friend fudged up his new car by using clay to remove the adhesive....I would think you were both the same caliber!

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Nick T.

:LOLOL

I’ve only used a car shampoo/water solution as a lubricant with Clay Magic and have never experienced any problems, so I don’t think that using a soap/water lube is the cause of problems.

Nick, sounds like you are having a bad day already and its not even lunch time. I suggest you defer to the industry expert on this belief as well.
    There are only three things you need to know about me. Gloss, Gloss, GLOSS!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Bret - - Are you suggesting that I start having problems with Clay Magic and soap/water lube?

BTW, the LOL was directed at the using clay still in the wrapper comment by Forrest, not his overall post.

Post Thanks / Like
    I feel I need to write again and say that I used enough lube. Let me tell you I am paranoid of using too little lube and cause scratches, so I already use too much of it. I only tested the Clay Magic, I have not done the whole car with it. But what do you think of my idea that what`s left of the layer of AIO could be causing it? Anyways next time I`ll` try this theory out, I`ll be applying wax remover on a small area followed by the Clay Magic.

Post Thanks / Like
    JetBlack - - This is an interesting problem. IMO the residue probably wasn’t caused by having AIO on the paint, but is sure could be a possibility. What do you intend to use as a wax remover for taking off the AIO?

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Nick T.

JetBlack - - This is an interesting problem. IMO the residue probably wasn’t caused by having AIO on the paint, but is sure could be a possibility. What do you intend to use as a wax remover for taking off the AIO?

I do not know what I am gonna use yet. But I think I have at least two kinds of paint cleaners (and others that can be used for that purpose). I am sure I have a Mothers paint cleaner (the step 1 of the 3 step kit, I think). Do you have a suggestion what I could/should use?

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry, but I don’t really have a good answer for removing AIO. I should think that most any abrasive polish or cleaner would take it off, but would have my doubts about non-abrasive cleaners. Isopropyl alcohol removes Zaino, but I don’t know if it will do anything to Klasse. PrepSol will do the trick for sure.

If there is a way to know for sure that a synthetic sealant has been removed (or is present) I’d sure like to know about it!

Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like
    I wanted to chime in to say that I had a negative experience with Clay Magic too. My first attempt at claying, car was freshly washed, used lots of Final Inspection for lubricant (on the car, on the bar, and on my hands), and I still got white residue all over the place from the clay bar. HOWEVER, I do give Clay Magic (from AutoZone, with the blue gumby on the box) the benefit of the doubt - it might have been something I did wrong. As soon as I work up the confidence to try it again I will.

Post Thanks / Like
    When i bought my first bar of clay magic a long time ago, i noticed a little residue(I was using the lube from the kit). This was already enough to turn me off from the product, but i just can`t stand wasting stuff so i continued using it on others` cars with soap and water. The sticky crap on the car increased quite a bit. Then i bought another CM kit because i thought there must have been something wrong with the first one(I should have known better ). Sure enough - the residue increased as i made the transition from CM lube to soapy water. Needless to say, i just switched manufacturers. Clay Magic does its job very well, but I didn`t feel it was worth the hassle I was experiencing.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information