Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    I tried this and reviewed it over at Roadfly. If you`re interested in it, here`s a link to the review.

I also did a "short take" review on the Porter Cable 7428 Rotary Buffer, it`s in the same post. All in all, 3M`s new Perfect-It III is incredible, and the PC 7428 is a monster...

Post Thanks / Like
    How do you think the Perfect-It III will compare to DACP when using a PC?

Also, I have never used a wool pad with my pc and I was wondering:

1. Would it be okay to use with DACP for scratches? Any suggestions on how to use the wool pad with a PC.

2. How do you clean a wool pad after using it with a PC?

Thanks in advance for your help!!!:xyxthumbs :xyxthumbs

Cheers,

My Black 7 Series

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks For The Link. I Am Expecting My New PC 7428 Rotary To Arrive Monday, Im Excited And Nervous At The Same Time! Any Tips?

Post Thanks / Like
    Funny you should ask, AMP - I was outside working with the PI-III and the PC when you were posting... :-)

It worked great - it buffs off so much easier than DACP, it`s not even funny. Bret and I used DACP on his Saab when he was visiting me back in October - both of us commented on how difficult it was to remove. I think Meguiar`s tweaked the formula or something, because I don`t remember past versions of DACP being so hard to remove!

Re: wool, shouldn`t be any problem. I`ve used a wool pad with the PC many times, and it works great, especially if you`ve got some stubborn defects. It`s marginally more agressive than the yellow pad (I`d say maybe 30 - 45% more agressive, depending on how you use it (pressure, speed, etc)).

I clean my wool pads as normal; wash them by hand with a mild detergent, rinse well, shake dry and then let air dry. Not sure if it`s the "proper" way, but it has served me well so far.

Bolton: I`d say start off with it on the slowest setting (1), use very light pressure and be prepared for it to feel sort-of "out-of-control". Try as I might to get it to go in nice, even figure-8`s, it sorta skipped around from time to time...

The thing definitely has power- like I mentioned in the Roadfly post, it flipped the hood right off the saw horses without any problem. And watch out for that slinging! It could make quite a mess if you`re not extremely concious of it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Geekysteve!

Great post! I have been using DACP with the rotary for quite awhile and really like it. I am not sure why you had trouble with the wipe off I actually find that it is one of the easiest to remove! :nixweiss Perhaps humidity or temperature was a factor? I know that I only use it with the Meg`s Yellow Polishing pads (W8000). For some reason, the 3M black waffle pads(or the Meg`s beige finishing pads W9000) just do not seem to go together with DACP??

I have to agree about the PI-III (with the 3M Black Waffle Perfect-It Plus pad). One Autopian suggested that I try it, and I have to say, it is a great product. However, I do not find it as abrassive as DACP. I know I should not say this too loud

but I tend to use DACP then PI-III, then #82 SFP, then #20 and recently started topping all this with S100!!:xyxthumbs All I can say is incredible!!

Hey Steve, could you give us more info on the temperature etc... . I am curious as to why the DACP was as difficult as it was. Did Meg`s change the formula??? Did you try it with different pads??

Cheers!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Sure thing, 2hot!

I played with the products for a few hours in what I would consider to be "ideal" temperature conditions. The air temp was in the low 70`s, high 60`s and humidity was a relatively low 28% (I keep my weatherstation in the garage)...

I tried all of the products with a few different types of pads; I used the CMA variable contour foam pads, the 3M waffle pads and the CMA "finger" (advanced) pads.

I think you hit the nail on the head- this was a brand new bottle of DACP; I had purchased it about a month ago and never opened it. I have long been of the opinion that Meguiar`s is constantly tweaking their products, and I wonder if they didn`t tweak something a little too much?

I also did not try the Meguiar`s pads; I don`t have any of the 8" ones, and couldn`t get the smaller ones to work on the 7428.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Steve!

I hope that Meg did not change the formula of DACP as I just bought a gallon of it!!

Maybe try it with the Meg yellow W8000 polishing pad. I think that you will get far better results. I really work it until only a light residue is left. That way I know that I buffed it down to its diminishing abrasives. Then it comes off really easily!! I really love the stuff, but if they did tweak the formula...:scared

Cheers!

Tim

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Steve you can clean wool pads by in a bucket of soapy water for about 1 hour take out and rinse with your garden hose shake out mount it on the rotary buffer Turn it on while on the floor and let it spin dry in 4 to 6 minutes it will be soft and dry Be careful when you first turn it on it will splach To clean it when you are buffing a car you use a spur

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by lawrencea

Hey Steve you can clean wool pads by in a bucket of soapy water for about 1 hour take out and rinse with your garden hose shake out mount it on the rotary buffer Turn it on while on the floor and let it spin dry in 4 to 6 minutes it will be soft and dry Be careful when you first turn it on it will splach To clean it when you are buffing a car you use a spur

Wool pads should not be "washed". They should be cleaned with a pad spur. Drying a pad by running it on a buffer is also not a good idea. It can cause the backing (hook and loop material) to seperate from the pad itself.
    Taking my signature to it`s MAXIMUM POTENTIAL

Post Thanks / Like
    ShowroomLincoln,

I am thinking about getting a couple of wool pads to use with my PC. How would I go about cleaning them since I don`t have a rotary?

Let me know what you think.

Thanks in avance!

Cheers,

My Black 7 Series

Post Thanks / Like
    Amp,

You could use a pad spur, but it might not work as well for DA pads. You can always go the cheapo route, a soft brissle tooth brush. With the pad on the machine and running draw the brush (or spur) across the pad in a straight line starting from the center and pulling out.

Works like a charm. :up
    Taking my signature to it`s MAXIMUM POTENTIAL

Post Thanks / Like
    Geekysteve,

I`ve reviewed the 3M PIII finishing glaze #09377

http://www.autopia.org/forums/showth...inishing+glaze

In what is this glaze diffrent from your machine glaze?

Thanks in advance:xyxthumbs

Christiaan

Post Thanks / Like
    It this product more of a filler product like IHG, a cutting product like SMR, or a good combination of both? I guess what I am asking is, does it actually remove the swirls or just cover them up really well? Would it benefit from topping with something that is a pure filler before the wax?

Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    I will report more on this later today; I`m headed out to the garage to play right now...

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Steve,

Make sure to try the DACP with a Meg`s Yellow polishing pad.

I really love the PI-III Machine Glaze with the 3M black waffle pad!! The only problem is sling!! This stuff slings everywhere!!

Have fun and let us know!!!:xyxthumbs

Tim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information