Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Strange name, ain't it? NattyBumppo's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I recently had a chance to try a new product by Poorboy. Right now the product is called Poorboy`s EX, Amino Functional Resin Sealant with Carnauba (phew, try and say that 5 times fast). This new EX product is a final finish sealant only. Poorboys also has a Professional Polish that can be used as a prep for the EX (or any final finish for that matter) and the Pro Polish leaves a nice slick, cleaned surface for the EX to do it`s thing. Since my post is primarily about the new product I`ll not bother with the steps and procedure for the Polish prep unless someone asks. Let`s just say the Pro Polish is extremely easy to apply and buff out.

Here`s how I put the new EX product to the test. On a Pacific Green 1996 Taurus I applied the EX using a PC and finishing pad to the entire car (except a few areas where I applied by hand to see how easy that would be). Whether by PC or by hand the EX goes on extremely easy. First thing I noticed is that it`s fairly thick stuff which had me worried. Most thick waxes or sealants I`ve used have been tough to get off. I was eager (and a little worried) how this would go. I purposely got the product on some black trim. What`s more I also purposely applied it SUPER thick to one large area to see what would happen if used in excess (a common mistake). Here are my findings;

1. The easiest product to use I`ve ever experienced (this includes Cherry Wet Wax). I let the hood dry 15 minutes, the roof 30 minutes and the rest of the vehicle an hour (which included the area that was applied way way to heavy). In every case the product almost came off by looking at it. Buffing it off required almost no effort at all no matter how long it was on or how thick it was applied.

2. Almost 100% dust free. There was so little dust generated by buffing off the product that a single 16x16 mf towel was enough to buff the entire vehicle.

3. No stained trim. Not a single trace of the product remained anywhere on the trim pieces that I purposely smeared.

4. The finish was very slick. I would say it is as slick as Cherry Wet Wax and more slick than Klasse SG. The gloss was similar to that of one coat of Klasse SG and depth seemed to be about the same as Klasse SG but not as deep as a premium carnauba like say P21s or Blitz. This came as no real shock to me since my experience has shown me that few sealants will have the depth and warmth of those higher quality carnaubas. If you like the Klasse or Zaino sealant type of look, this is there with the best of em` without being a plasticy looking gloss. Maybe the bit of carnauba helps to keep the sealant from becoming too sterile looking.

5. Of course the next day it rained like a SOB . My observations are that beads are not super small and tight but are slightly larger than what you might get from a pure carnauba or wax like Meg`s #26. When I mentioned this to Steve he felt the resin was much more powerful than the carnauba in the product and will not bead like a carnauba but will allow the surface slickness to force the water to roll off after beading. This is in fact exactly what happens. Good call Steve.

So my initial reaction to the new Poorboy`s EX is a big :up . So easy to use it`s almost laughable. Impossible to screw up....apply it too thick, let it sit too long, get it all over trim...no problem. According to Steve it`ll work even better applied in direct sunlight which would be great for the mobile detailers here. Very slick and good gloss plus like Klasse SG and Zaino it has layering capabilities which I believe the original Poorboys Polish with Carnauba did not. So with the EX you can keep going like the Zaino crowd.

One other note....a guy from a truck club forum that I frequent had his truck entered in a national show last weekend. He drove the truck to the even and as you might guess, it was covered in road salt and grime when he got there. He cleaned it up then used this new EX product and ended up taking Best OF Show!

I`m told that in this salt encrusted winter here in the northeast it will easily last 3-4 months and in better conditions should go 6-9 months. I seriously doubt I`ll ever know for sure since there is no way in the world I could resist applying more of it, or anything, for that long a time.

Natty
    Natty
    ------------------------------------------------
    "Sorry Miss, I just decided I don`t do mini-vans"

Post Thanks / Like
    Excellent review Natty,

I also got a chance to test the Poorboy`s EX over the last month or so. I mentioned to Steve that I was only testing the EX`s usage and appearance. Like any new toy I could not wait to try this product. Initially I applied directly over Blackfire II topped with P21S. The EX took on this task like a duck to water. Easy application, zero streaking and because of the unknown curing time I allow to dry about 1 hour. As Natty stated, the buffing was as easy as any sealant I have used. As easy as a well applied thin layer of Zaino. My desire for a car`s finish appearance leans toward the carnauba spectrum. Wet and deep, but I also love the Zaino-like hi-gloss. Because of this the EX formulation seemed quite attractive. A sealant and a carnuaba combination. That is exactly what the results reflect. While inside detailing I noted the appearance to be similiar to BF II with just a slight increase in gloss. When the weather cleared I pulled it outside and WOW, what gloss. I believe that this product gives the best appearance of both worlds, hi-gloss without loosing depth, base colorcoat enhancement ( in my case black) and wetness.

As Natty mentioned the EX is very thick. Slightly more so than BFII. I tried a couple of different applicators in order to find which one performed the application best.

The MF does well after the contact patch is saturated with EX.

The cotton applicator about the same.

My best results were achieved with a soft foam pad that was removed from a cotton applicator. This foam allowed thin even application with very little pressure and product usage.

Buffing, actually too harsh a term, was effortless with a MF.

Zero streaking and absolutely NO HAZE.

I have since stripped the Z28 of all previous protectants ( BFII, Souveran and P21S).

I did a triple paint cleansing with Vanilla Moose, 3M IHG and P21S GEPC in that order. On top of this applied 3 coats of EX. Car looks great under indoor lighting. I can`t wait for the weather to clear so that I can observe in natural light.

I would have to give Poorboy`s EX also a :xyxthumbs :xyxthumbs overall.

Very easy to use

Seems to be uneffected by ambient condition (humidity and low temps( 50*)

Dries completely without dust formation

Dries quickly

Not sensitive to application thickness or thinness

Buffing ease not effected by length of drying time (5 mins to overnight)

Buffs off extremely effortlessly without streaking or hazing.

Zero residual after buffing

Completely compatible with paint cleansers and glazes.

Can be topped with carnuaba

Excellent final appearance alone

Seems to be trim friendly

Smells good ( banana)

The only drawback I found with EX is developing the technique to apply evenly without using too much pressure or product. After discovering the soft sponge (foam) applicator this task also become quite easy and product efficient.

Here is a picture I posted earlier of EX topped with P21S. Note the deepness in color and the hi-gloss. I will get some pixs( EX alone) of the last stated test as soon as the weather improves.

Hey gang, here is another must have product. Especially for those who require a sealants protection, extreme ease of usage, love hi-gloss,wetness and depth and want the option of topping with your favorite carnuaba.

:xyxthumbs

Post Thanks / Like
    Poorboy’s EX wax review.

Subject vehicle: 1989 Ford Mustang convertible, grey in color with almost no visible shine. The paint was in pretty bad condition which required a complete buffing of the car using a rotary buffer and cutting compound. All work was performed outside on a cloudy day with the sun peaking through for very short periods of time. Out side temperature was in the mid to high 60’s this day.

1st step, a complete dawn wash of vehicle.

2nd step, complete compounding of the vehicle using a rotary buffer with wool buffing pad with max speed set to 1,000 rpm.

3rd step, complete polishing of vehicle using a PC orbital buffer with a CMA yellow pad and Meguiar’s DACP. Speed was set to 5.

(Note: After cutting and polishing, a nice reflective shine was restored to this vehicle with the exception of the hood. The hood shine was in vastly improved and did provide a fare amount of reflective shine but the paint was really bad to start with. This car has been sitting neglected in the Arizona sun for several years and the hood paint was very oxidized and faded. Also all the exterior rubber and plastic parts where also faded, discolored or had a chalky surface.)

4th step, complete waxing of vehicle using Poorboy’s EX wax. The wax was applied by machine using a PC orbital buffer and a CMA black waxing pad. Speed was set to 3. The wax was allowed to sit on the painted surface long enough to haze up and then removed by hand with a MF towel. Removal was very easy by hand. No pressure was required.

Notes:

The EX was has a pleasant smell, kind of like a banana and coconut aroma which goes good with it’s creamy light yellow color.

This product was very easy to apply and very easy to remove. :up

The EX wax It left a smooth, slick surface with no streaking and there was no noticeable dusting. :up

The finish is very reflective :up (with the exception of the hood).

To test for trim staining, the EX wax was used to restore the color and shine to the black plastic mirror housings, the trunk lid luggage rack/spoiler, the door handles and the hard rubber trim around the convertible roof. The EX wax left no noticeable white residue on any of the exterior plastic or rubber surfaces. :up

Durability of the EX wax will not be tested on this vehicle since it will be going away shortly.

Initial results are very good for this product. I think Steve has hit a home run with the EX Wax.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the reviews!

How does EX compare to AIO or the new PUPP in terms of ease of use? If it is easier than the above, I just might have to get some EX for my next total detail. It sounds like it is very easy to remove, which after using Souveran and P21S, is very important to me.

Thanks again guys!:xyxthumbs

Cheers,

My Black 7 Series

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by AMP99

Thanks for the reviews!

How does EX compare to AIO or the new PUPP in terms of ease of use? If it is easier than the above, I just might have to get some EX for my next total detail. It sounds like it is very easy to remove, which after using Souveran and P21S, is very important to me.

Thanks again guys!:xyxthumbs

Cheers,

My Black 7 Series

Amp99,

Souveran and P21S/S100 products have really spoiled us. Even Zaino, if applied properly and the right environmental condition and ZXF, have created this spoilage.

EX as a sealant is as easy to use as Souveran/P21S are. I really believe that Poorboys (Steve) could call EX one of the world easiest to apply and remove sealants. If you ever used the Blackfire I and remember how quickly it dries and how easy it was to remove. Well EX is easier. No streaking. No haze. No residue but great results. EX really is the P21S/Souveran of sealants in term of application and buffing. I did my testing by hand but it must be absolutely effortless if done by PC.

:xyxthumbs

Post Thanks / Like
    blkZ28Conv,

Thanks for the Speedy reply! :up

I will get some EX for my next total detail coming up soon.

Is EX available now? Also, do you happen to have Poorboys web site handy?

Thanks again!

Cheers,

My Black 7 Series

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    http://www.poorboysworld.com/

You can also PM (Poorboy) Steve with all your questions about sizes and availablity. We just had pre-production samples. Steve mentioned that production was either already started or will be soon. That was a couple of weeks ago. As you know he has been busy with some family matters. I am sure he will be glad to answer your questions .

You can also contact Steve via contact@poorboysworld.com

Hope this helps. I can`t see that Bimmer of yours looking any better but you will definitely have fun using EX with your present regimen.:xyxthumbs

Post Thanks / Like
    Just received my BFII eariler this week, not even enough time to give it a try with this weather

Post Thanks / Like
    Is EX considered a type of acrylic/polymer type of product? If it is, this stuff could be good for up-selling a polymer sealant job to customers of mobile detailers. Sounds like it offers properties similar to the the Klasse twins, but is faster and easier to use.

Founder Poorboy's World Poorboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks to all the Autopian testers. Your input is most appreciated.

Mostly thanks to all Autopians...even though i don`t post all over I do read your concerns, your likes and dislikes. You all have raised the bar for future products.

They must be real easy, since most of you are out there constantly , like i was before my twins , and it must give a clear , deep long lasting shine with no staining.

It will be available soon and of course at a Poorboy price:xyxthumbs

I can be contacted through pm or e-mail for further information

we don`t want this to turn into a SPAM post.

On another note, we picked up my daughter today from the hospital and she`ll be home for a few days before returning for her surgery...thanks again for support from the Autopian community:wavey

Post Thanks / Like
    blkZ28Conv,

Thanks for the links and email address for Poorboys. I sent Poorboy a pm re: EX and its availability.

I already have a few sealants but I am always looking for easier to apply/remove products to use on my car. Also, I can tell my friends and clients about EX as well.

Cheers,

My Black 7 Series

Post Thanks / Like
    I pm Steve and EX will be available soon. I also put my name in for it when it is ready:up . This sounds like a winner based on the great reviews by you guys (I would say it will give BFII and the new UPP a run for it). Durability may be good too based on NattyBumppo.
    2001 Volvo S80 Black
    2002 Volvo C70 Silver

Founder Poorboy's World Poorboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    OK I couldn`t take the pressure:scared

Called the factory and they will produce 5 cases for me in about a week. Can`t stop other projects in motion.

So about two weeks for those interested....labels will be temporary ones and directions you`ll need to take from this post or make some up of your own :xyxthumbs

Let me know via e-mail and I`ll give you the details about cost.

Thanks again from my Daughter Lana the prayers have done miracles:wavey

CCH Auto Appearance, LLC C. Charles Hahn's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Poorboy

It will be available soon and of course at a Poorboy price:xyxthumbs

Good, hopefully this poor boy can afford some!!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information