Post Thanks / Like
    In hopes to find a "Good" performing clay bar with a "Good" price, and "Good" size I ordered an American Shine Clay Bar from Dale De Steno of Kleanride .

He sold me on that it is different and better than the Meguairs. It`s $17.50, but get about twice as much as Mother`s or Meguiar`s.

First impressions where WOW nice size! It actually made using it easier and faster by covering more surface area. Second thing I noticed was how pliable it was! A much welcome relief from the Meguiar`s. I could turn it without it being a major chore. And thirdly (can there be a thirdly?) it had just the right amount of tackiness to it. Not too strong like some others I have tried. It didn`t leave anyoying skid marks.

Bottom line, it performed FAR superior to Meguiars to the point I just gave away my little used Meguiars bar to a co-worker.

My only complaint (as with many clay bars) is I need a handy dandy carrying case. The ziploc`s don`t hold up! I thought about a traveling soap bar container it might work.

:xyxthumbs :xyxthumbs :xyxthumbs
    David

2008 MINI Clubman S

2013 Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring

Post Thanks / Like
    ClayMagic gives you a pretty nifty little box for clay when you get the 200 g sized bar. I`ve been keeping my clay in my Pinnacle Poly Clay jar. Good review! We don`t get too many clay reviews in here lately. Its good to have them around. :xyxthumbs
    Keeping Texas clean one car at a time!

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ll have to give it a try. I am not a fan of Mothers or Meguiars consumer clay bars, but Clay Magic is great. Your description sounds similar to Clay Magic`s bar (pliable yet tacky) and since the AS bar is bigger, it should give more value for the money.

I keep my clay in the container my Meguiars Body Shop Pro overspray clay came in (a super strong and sticky clay-really only for heavy overspray). It`s a round container with a screw on lid. Have you ever thought of using an old margerine tub?
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    Actually, we just pulled together a container for it. It looks like a container for an 8 track tape, but it gets the job done!

:bounce

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice write up. Sounds like a good one to try.

I talked to a local detailing retail store employee recently about clay bars and he told me many pro detailers don`t use it...they just give the top surfaces a light swipe with a cloth dipped in lacquer thinner???:scared

I don`t think I`ve heard of that before and would worry about softening the clearcoat.

Mick

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by micker

many pro detailers don`t use it...they just give the top surfaces a light swipe with a cloth dipped in lacquer thinner???:scared

I don`t think I`ve heard of that before and would worry about softening the clearcoat.

Mick

If I ever have to have body work done I will now have nightmares!!!

And as for the clay container I used a Tang jar, but was worried about it not being air tight since it sort of screwed on.

I`ll find something. I am just glad I found a Clay Bar I like!
    David

2008 MINI Clubman S

2013 Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring

Post Thanks / Like

I talked to a local detailing retail store employee recently about clay bars and he told me many pro detailers don`t use it...they just give the top surfaces a light swipe with a cloth dipped in lacquer thinner???:scared

Mick

:nixweiss I`ve never heard about that either. Since I do have a detailing business, I also go to a dedicated pro detailing board and everyone there uses clay bars, so I don`t know where your supplier is getting his info. Maybe he makes more profit selling lacquer thinner than clay bars?
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like

Mick

I don`t know about not using a clay bar. You need the clay bar to strip stuff out of the paint.

Some detailers use a rag soaked in solvent to wipe down paint to strip off old wax, fillers, etc. I do it sometimes w/ Pro-Sol to remove fillers after polishing to see what swirls remain.
    2005 F-150 Reg Cab Flareside 5.4L

Chemical Engineers: More refined than the rest.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the review! I just my give this bar a shot.

Thread Information