Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    I got my new Blackfire sample kit from CMA today, as a few others have already posted.

I just got in from trying it out... I applied it over 4x Z-2(last coat applied 2 months ago) and was pretty satisfied with the results, but I belive it would be a downgrade on my dark red... the typical Zaino reflectivity that I loved so much is not there anymore, but this was expected.

That said, here`s my review on the new and "improved" Blackfire Paint Protectant --

Reflectivity -- As I just said the optical clarity of the paint has obviously gone down from the Z-2 that was on the car, however the depth and glow of the paint is back. It gives a carnauba-like shine with a little bit of the mirror-like properties that polymers

are known for. It`s the best of both worlds... 8/10

Slickness -- It seemed very slick to the touch, just about as slick as Zaino, which would be an improvement over the previous product. 10/10

Price -- Free! Thank You Terry at CMA for providing me, and others with this great sample kit! Normally, $24.99... not a bad price to pay considering the size of the bottle and the quality finish. 9/10

Trim?? -- It dosent stain black trim!!! In fact, I found it to actually work to shine the black trim on my volvo. I used it to restore the fading roof mouldings... it worked wonders. 10/10

Longevity -- Cannot comment on this yet, but I am guessing somewhere in the vicinity of 4-5 months. Will update.

Overall, the new Blackfire gets a 9.25/10.

Pictures will be posted in the gallery soon. :wavey
    ~Cody Julian

Post Thanks / Like
    I was not impressed with the durability of the first formula, I look forward to hear the updates as to durability of the this new product.

Keep us updated!!!

:xyxthumbs
    Taking my signature to it`s MAXIMUM POTENTIAL

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, I think the whole longevity thing was CMA`s idea when they decided to improve it.

You may be right about them switching to a solvent base...

it sure smells like it. :sosad

I did my hood in another coat of Z-2 and the rest of the car in 1x BF, so we will see how it compares in a few months. :xyxthumbs
    ~Cody Julian

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ll probably be trying it out tomorrow maybe.

Just tried out Pro`s Profection this evening. Man, it is soo easy to apply and buff off. Buffing off you just run the towel over it and it practically just leaps off onto the towel. Super slippery too. Hopefully Blackfire will perform just as well.
    2005 F-150 Reg Cab Flareside 5.4L

Chemical Engineers: More refined than the rest.

Post Thanks / Like
    The stuff is a little hard to buff off. I am guessing it could be due to the humidity here. Intel, you would probably have the same problem I did, you buff and it sort of hazes over again... almost like its not dry enough yet, but I followed instructions. :nixweiss

Also, after buffing and QDing it still left a haze that took another QD later last night. Oh well, I still think its worth it. :xyxthumbs
    ~Cody Julian

Post Thanks / Like
    i just got my bottle the other day. Got a couple ?`s though. Can it be layered for added depth and protection and what polish should i be using b4 i apply the blackfire bc i was thinking of using #7 bc my paints only 2 months old. I have #26 on right now, but ill prolly strip it in the next two weeks to try my blackfire on it. Or i might just try it on my gf`s red z28 next weekend!!!
    18 Honda Civic SI White Pearl 6mt(:lever

02 Honda Aquatrax f12x watercraft

01 Yamaha Superjet Modded

Post Thanks / Like
    Volvoguy,

How did you apply? Did you polish first with Gloss enhancing Polish and then apply All finish Paint Protection? or just washed car (dawn?) and put on AFPP? Let me know. Also, if anyone else has other methods, please post.

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    MTO --

I washed normally with GC, and on the section of the hood where I just wanted the BF (vs. the rest of the car that is Z-2 topped with BF) I used 90% Isopropyl Alcohol and got rid of the Z, then pollished that section with 3M SMR then Meg`s #9, and applied BF to the whole car. As of this morning, after a QD the "only BF" side is slicker... probably due to the polishing. I don`t notice too much of a difference in the BF vs. BF on Z.

We`ll see how things hold up.
    ~Cody Julian

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Volvo guy,

I received my sample from Terry the other day. I first cleaned the surface with Klasse AIO ( I had used SMR, AIO and souv wax just last month, used AIO to get Souv wax off paint), then followed with Mequiars Machine glaze No.3 then the Blackfire All Finish Paint Protection. It was difficult to buff off like you said. I must have used too much product. Cannot share results yet. Today is an ugly cloudy day. Once I get it in the sun I can post my feedback.

MTO

Post Thanks / Like
    Abercrombie, you can layer the protectant. What`s nice is that you can layer it right away. You don`t have to wait hours or days between layers. As for polish, I`d think the BF Gloss Enhancing Polish would be best. I assume it leaves the finish in the appropriate way for the BF protectant. I don`t know how well BF would last if you put it over some other polish like #7. If you just have the protectant, you might try just using it straight on the paint without a polish.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok...just got through trying out the new Blackfire formula. I used a foam applicator, and let me tell you...a little of this stuff goes a VERY long way. Easy on with foam applicator, applied to entire car and then buffed off with microfiber towel. I did not have any trouble removing the Blackfire, and no leftover haze at all. Very pleased that the new formula does NOT stain black trim as I have lots of it on my car. As a matter of fact, made my roof rack so slick, I almost ended up on my face when my hand slipped, LOL. Same great depth to my steel grey metallic paint as the original formula, and the finish is incredible. Very slick and smooth, almost "velvety" to the touch. I love this stuff so far. Very impressive.

Post Thanks / Like
    I just got put the new version of Blackfire on the Jetta this morning. I had the same problem with buffing the product off, but it was probably due to using too much. A little bit does go a long way - a nickel sized drop on the applicator was enough to cover the entire hood of the car. We`ll see how it does, I did half of the car in Blackfire and half in Zaino (Z5). So far I give it a :xyxthumbs .

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve tried a number of new products lately, Meguiars Dual Action Cleaner Polish, Perfect-IT Foam Polishing Pad Glaze and Swirl Mark Remover, 3M liquid Fine Cut Cleaner. They are all thicker and apply better on foam pads, or microfiber applicators than earlier versions. Sure is nice just to dollop a little on the applicator or pad. Economical too.
    The perfect shine is

pure satisfaction.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Rick K

A little bit does go a long way - a nickel sized drop on the applicator was enough to cover the entire hood of the car

Yes, that`s exactly what I noticed. I mentioned that in my review of the new Blackfire (scroll down for the new review) too. It`s like concentrated BF...

Post Thanks / Like
    how do I get a sample kit? I have some officemates that are in Seattle right now, maybe I can grab some...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information