Post Thanks / Like
    Here`s the answer to my post in the Platinum UPP Review!! (long) thread.

#1 = moderate scratching

#2 = more scratching than #1

#3 = zero scratching

#4 = more scratching than #1, about same as #2.

Enjoy.

Post Thanks / Like
    holy sh**! i never would have expected a "sealant" to cause more scratching than a swirl remover!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the test Steve. For some reason, I am not suprised. I have some Platinum and some CD`s, I think I will preform my own test on Platinum.
    Taking my signature to it`s MAXIMUM POTENTIAL

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by stanger99

holy sh**! i never would have expected a "sealant" to cause more scratching than a swirl remover!!!
    Count me in too! I never was interested in UPP, but this is a surprise.

Makes me feel good about my P21S though

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by geekysteve

#4 = more scratching than #1, about same as #2.

Enjoy.

Now I know what to use in case my SMR isn`t abrasive enough to do the job.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, this makes me pretty happy that I never jumped on the BF/Platinum bandwagon and spared myself from ordering either of these "premium" sealants. Please, the only "super polymers" in these products is the actual bottle itself... Heh, they can`t even outlast the shortest lived carnaubas, and cause more marring than a swirl remover.... IMHO, I think they would be better labled as glazes than sealants...

TRUTH IN ADVERTISING PLEASE!! Is this to much to ask???

Post Thanks / Like
    So I will be using this stuff with the white PC pad now for my Accord, lol. For what I paid for UPP though, I`m still glad I got it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Metallic Mike

Well, this makes me pretty happy that I never jumped on the BF/Platinum bandwagon and spared myself from ordering either of these "premium" sealants. Please, the only "super polymers" in these products is the actual bottle itself... Heh, they can`t even outlast the shortest lived carnaubas, and cause more marring than a swirl remover.... IMHO, I think they would be better labled as glazes than sealants...

TRUTH IN ADVERTISING PLEASE!! Is this to much to ask???

It is really amazing the differences in results people have with different products. My experience with Zaino has been great but not the final solution. My trials with Blackfire over Zaino excellent but seems to be different than some addicted Zaino users. Why :nixweiss. Special agendas :nixweiss. Are compact discs the measure of automotive finish abrasiveness or just an media to illustrate a point. If something abrase a CD but not my clearcoat or multiple layers of Zaino I do not give a darn. Blackfire protectant did not marr or strip my Zaino`d finish. Just improved the quality of the appearance of a black paint. How do I know that the Zaino was not removed? I don`t. I do know that the final results are better.

Mike you need to chill. Life is full of inconsistencies ( near truths). I think you should have learned from a recent episode about a product on another forum that some opinions should be left unsaid, especially against a supporting sponsor. If you do not like or believe in a product do not buy it. The cost of these porducts are relatively cheap and a mistake will not break the bank. We that read this forum are adult enough to analysis the presented data and determine truth from fiction. What products to trust. What companies to believe. Mike, I love your reviews and recommendations but with each passing thread it is becoming harder to negate a bias to certain products that can give an impression that some of your observations may be skewed. Not a flame but an observation.

The fun part about ultra-detailing is trying new products, making mistakes and getting closer with each experience to the ultimate showcar appearance. :wavey

Edwin

Post Thanks / Like
    Edwin (blkZ),

I agree, it is really fun trying new stuff, and I`m usually open to it. One problem though is I`m running out of good stuff to try. Seriously, I`ve gone though a bunch of stuff over the years, some great, some average, and some pure garbage. So, I`m kinda at a standstill looking for new things, but not finding... But, should I hold back my opinion on how I feel it has worked or not worked for me? If it`s garbage I feel I should say so, if it`s great, likewise I think I owe it to myself and everyone to spread the word. I fully understand your point of view though. I guess my issue, not only with Platinum/BF/or whatever is that I expect honesty, integrity, and a no BS approach and hold myself and others to pretty high standards. I don`t know, maybe my standards are too high? :nixweiss I guess that`s just the way I am. Believe me, if things had turned out differently, I would have loved that too. I like happy endings! But, I grossly dislike being misled or tricked by anyone or anything. I have no "agenda" to prove or push, and I`m sorry it seems that way at times. Yes, I do feel Zaino is an excellent product with a no BS approach. I tried to stay as objective as possible when doing direct comparisons, nothing more, nothing less. What I state is simply my obversations and what has happened to me personally, along with a final opinion. After all, I`m not being paid off or making a dime offering my facts or opinions. Is it wrong to expect more out of people or their products? I know some of my opinions come off a bit strong at times, but that`s probably due from being let down. I do tend to tell it like it is, and how I see things. However, I will NEVER sugar coat things to be "Mr Nice guy." It`s just how I am, and I can`t appologize for that. My whole point is, I don`t like being fooled, and I don`t want others to be as well. Simple as that.

From one enthusiast to another, I can appreciate your thoughts and respect your decision to use whatever you like to keep your car looking it`s best. I can`t say your standards are any lower or higher than mine, but all I present is what I know to be fact in my mind. Like I said, I`m truly sorry you feel my facts or opinions are skewed.

Take Care,

Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    My take, after thinking about things for a while is this:

Everyone loves BlackFire at first, because it shines like crazy and has that warm glow, right? But then, for reasons unbeknownst to anyone, the beading goes away and the water sheets or sticks to the panel, right?

I believe that the abrasives in BF abrade the clear coat on a very minor level (not quite microscopic, but close). The fillers (oils) then hide the abrasions, and the result is a shiny surface that beads water.

Note: when I first looked at the CD`s, prior to the Dawn wash, the BF`d cd`s looked pretty good (other than the marker being worn away) - a result of the oils and fillers hiding the abrasions.

Then, after a wash or two, the oils go away, and the abraded surface is left behind, exposed. The abrasions (peaks/valleys) "grab" the water, which causes the water to cling rather than sheet or bead.

This would explain why on that 2002 E430 that I detailed with BF that the paint stopped beading after the BF wore off; fresh unprotected paint will bead water until it is abraded enough.

I agree that CD`s are not the same as clear coat on a car, but they do offer some insight as to a relative abrasiveness (sp?) of a product. I did this for comparison purposes only and not as a means to say that product X *will* scratch your car, etc.

Just some food for thought...

Post Thanks / Like
    Wonderful! An abrasive polish advertised as a sealant with "super-polymers" from Germany. But its funny how they constantly rave about how safe the "oil-in-water" emulsion formula is.

And durability?

"The silicon polymers we use have the look of the very best carnauba waxes yet are stable from -100 degree F. to +480 degrees F. All Finish Paint Protection incorporates high surface bonding, is exceptionally water repellent and has very high resistance to ultraviolet and infrared radiation. This keeps your car’s finish protected month after month and wash after wash."

Post Thanks / Like
    Mike,

Let`s face it we are addicted. Finding something new that really works for me or you is extremely difficult. Weeding through the BS can be somewhat difficult and being mislead very frustrating.

I do want to read your opinions about products you have tried and liked or disliked. Your threads are some of the best written and insightful presently presented in this forum. If you state Product X states this but really does that. I take heed. I read between the lines that Product X`s manufacturer may not be on the up and up.

Mike, I just do not want you to have to go through another episode like that other questionable product pusher put you through a few weeks ago. You are above that type of interaction.

Nevertheless, everyone has their own style. Some are more PC than others, some are more emotional. Just looking out for good reviewer and Autopian.

Never lower your standards... make the rise of the world seek higher goals.

Edwin, :xyxthumbs

Thread Information