Product Review

NOTE: My reviews are based on Manila, Philippines purchases. Packaging and prices may not be in line with U.S. specs, accessories and prices.

Makita 9227C Rotary polisher/sander

Brand: Makita

Country of Origin: Japan

Store Purchased: Macro

Price as purchased: P8895.00 (approx: $177)

Other products used/notes: Product comes with the following: 7" Velcro back threaded backing plate, Velcro back polishing wool pad, Allen wrench, manual, loop handle and screws.

Product Description:

Fast and powerful polishing for clear coat finishes, and ideal for ultraslow polishing, this polisher has a variable-speed feature with a preset maximum speed dial (from 600 to 3,000 rpm) giving you utmost control. The electronic speed control maintains constant speed under load and it effortlessly converts to a sander. For continuous use at one speed, try the lock-on button. Your polisher purchase includes hook-and-loop pad and hex wrench.

Variable speed (0-3,000 RPM) with pre-set maximum speed dial; ideal for ultra slow polishing

Pre-set speed setting dial (from 600-3,000 RPM) for maximum control

Electronic speed control maintains constant speed under load

Easily converts to a sander

3 prong plug to prevent static electricity accumulation

Fast and powerful polishing for clearcoat finishes

Lock-on button for continuous use at one speed

http://www.makita.com/Tools_Item_View.asp?id=257

Caution: Read the owner`s manual for full safety precaution documentation.

The Makita 9227C (or any other rotary buffer/sander) is a professional tool. It requires intensive experience and training in order to use one correctly and safely. Improper usage may result to burnt paint, heavy buffer scratch marks, body panel damage, personal injury among other things.

If you have never tried using a rotary, I suggest you either approach an experienced, professional detailer or try it on a safe surface such as a spare hood or other junk bodyparts.

Product Review:

This is a tool, a tool that is only as effective as its user`s experience and proficiency. The combination of pad composition, proper technique and appropriate compound will yield the best results.

There are way too much variables to consider for a proper subjective review, so I`ll try to keep this review objectively centered on the tool itself, and not the results that it can deliver.

I`ll post before and after pics on a junk car as soon as the the three consecutive tropical storms leave the country.

Pros:

Low RPM settings - Other than the Makita 9227C, no other professional level rotary goes as low as 600RPM for its initial pre-set speed. This is very important and useful when working on delicate car paint as a sudden high-speed spin may induce irreversible paint damage.

Price - If you compare this rotary with other variable speed 7" rotaries on the market today, you`ll probably find the Makita to be a thousand (give or take P500) more expensive than its counterparts (such as Bosch, Black and Decker and DeWalt). That is, if you buy them at regular tool shops you find in the malls. Search through the yellow pages through direct suppliers and distributors, you`ll find this product to be at par with the rest of the brands that are on the market. I got this buffer at P8895.00, which is almost P2000 less than Handyman (Galleria branch). Shop around, you may find it lower.

Slow-start clutch - Most rotaries zoom straight to it`s preset speed. If you set it to 1000RPM, as soon as you press the trigger, it goes straight to that speed. The Makita 9227C has a slow start clutch will starts the machine at approximately (my closest guess) 300RPM, then accellerates to the preset speed within a couple of seconds. This is very helpful when you`re spreading product and working on less-than-flat surfaces. It effectively minimizes splatter and gives the user a second or two to adjust to the sudden torque of the machine.

Handle - A lot of U.S. users dislike the loop handle of the Makita and prefers the traditional, straight handles. I, for one, finds the loop handle very handly to use and quite effective as well.

Here`s what I think of the loop handle, and why I like it. The loop handle is attached on the side and through the top of the buffer head. When working on a paint surface, it is imperative to keep the pad as flat as possible, the loop handle allows your hand to stay near the axis of the buffer, minimizing the centrifugal torque that may tilt the buffer head at an angle.

The loop handle allows you to hold the buffer at different angles without causing your left (if you`re a right hander) wrist to bend excessively since it`s possible to hold the side handle vertically (thumbs up, not to the side).

Velcro back plate included - Most rotaries come with a flat plastic backing plate that were meant for sanding discs. A velcro backing pad is usually an accessory, which adds to the final cost. The Makita comes with a velcro-back plate and an easy, threaded mounting center.

Weight - Compared to the other three brands that I`ve held, this buffer is lighter, which translates to less fatigue during prolonged use. Stat sheet claims the buffer to be 6.6lbs, this is at least a pound lighter than the other three brands that I`ve tried.

Long power cord - The cord is pretty long, long enough for you to shoulder the cord and move around without the plug dragging around your finish. The plug also has an external ground clip, which is great to avoid any static electricity from damaging your machine (or frying the user hehe). I like the clip because in the Philippines, standard wall sockets are not grounded, this allows me to plug it into a standard socket and ground it elsewhere near the wall socket.

Cons:

Manual and packaging - I understand that this is a hardware tool, but I`d expect a more intensive user`s manual for such a product. The manual is only six pages long (four inch length paper) and is printed on a really thin sheet of paper. I`m a manual kind of guy, and I want a lot of notes, tips, how-to write-ups with any purchases I make, especially something that costs this much. So if you have no clue on how to use a rotary, the manual will not help you at all.

Verdict:

As you can see, there aren`t much negative points that I can pinpoint with this buffer. Some say that the relatively small motor of the 9227C is prone to more frequent servicing compared to larger buffers and are not suited for everyday use. I can`t comment on that since I`ve had this buffer for less than a week. This buffer comes with a one-year factory warranty, so we`ll see how to fares up over time. For now, I`m very happy with this buffer.

Rating: (Scale of 1 to 10, 1 being worst, 10 being best)

Value - 10

Performance - 9

Quality - 9

Packaging and Instructions - 5

Availability - 7

Price - 9

Overall - 8.2/10