Post Thanks / Like
    I`m looking for a paint cleaner that I can apply before I try applying Meguiar’s #9 Swirl Remover. I`ll be working on a 1990 Honda Accord w/ neglected paint. The only thing applied to this vehicle was a paint sealant when it was purchased new.

Meguiar`s Deep Crystal Paint Cleaner is readily available off the retail shevles. Will this be good enough as an initial paint cleaner, or is the Medallion Premium Paint Cleaner superior?
    2002 Volkswagen GTi 1.8T [Indigo Blue]

Post Thanks / Like
    The Medallion is a better product. I am less than impressed with any of the deep crystal products.
    -Sam

Post Thanks / Like
    Is Medallion Premium Paint Cleaner the same type of product or in the same type of product category as Pinnacle Paintwork Cleansing Lotion and P21S Paintwork Cleansing Lotion?

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by laynlow

The Medallion is a better product. I am less than impressed with any of the deep crystal products.

What didn`t you like about the deep crystal products?

Post Thanks / Like
    It`s been my experience that the Medallion Paint Cleaner and the System 1 Paint Cleaner from Meguiar`s are nearly identical - they look the same, they smell the same, and they both managed to really clean our test surfaces thoroughly.

Both of the Meguiar`s products removed the magic marker lines that we drew (using Magnum 44 permanent marker), and both showed some color transfer.

The P21S Paintwork Cleansing Lotion was much more gentle - it didn`t lift off any marker, and there was zero color transfer. It seems to polish more than clean - I`d say it`s one of the most mild cleaners I`ve ever used.

I have both the "new" and the "old" Pinnacle PCL`s, and I`d say the new stuff is a little stronger than the P21S, but not as strong as the Meguiar`s. The older PPCL was more like the P21S...not sure why they changed it.

Hope this helps!

PS: Just re-read your post -- I`d start with the #9 first, then follow-up with the PCL; the #9 will be more abrasive than the PCL, and you always want to finish with the least abrasive product.

Post Thanks / Like
    The deep crystal system never performed, as a three step system, like the professional products. I started using Meguiars with the deep crystal three step and then changed to the Medallion cleaner, #7 or #9 as needed, and Medallion Paint Protectant. I would also use #26 over the MPP because it yielded better visual results. The MPP was more durable however. I stayed with this system for awhile before switching to Zaino.

I always thought the Medallion paint cleaner was easier to use, and liked machine application more than the deep crystal. As far as both products cleaning ability, its kind of a toss-up. None of my vehicles paint has ever been in bad shape. Swirls are about the extent of my problems. I also clayed before using either paint cleaner, so some of their work was done.

IMO, the deep crystal system is targeted at the auto store consumer who thinks they are buying a high end product. It works, but simply does not meet my expectations.
    -Sam

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by viper_chan

I`m looking for a paint cleaner that I can apply before I try applying Meguiar’s #9 Swirl Remover.

A good candidate might be either Meguiar`s DACP or 3M Finesse-It 2. I usually use the 3M product followed by a mild paint cleanser.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by geekysteve

PS: Just re-read your post -- I`d start with the #9 first, then follow-up with the PCL; the #9 will be more abrasive than the PCL, and you always want to finish with the least abrasive product.

So the Mothers #9 is a cleaner as well as a Swirl Remover? If this is the case, Is there even a need to follow up w/ a regular paint cleaner right afterwards? Will a milder cleaner help smooth out any imperfections caused by #9?

How`s this for a full detail procedure?

Dawn Wash

Mothers California Gold Clay Bar System w/ Mothers Showtime QD

Dawn Wash

Meguiar’s #9 Swirl Remover

Meguiar’s ScratchX (spot apply by hand if needed)

Meguiar’s Medallion Premium Paint Cleaner OR Meguiar’s Deep Crystal Paint Cleaner (optional??)

Klasse All-In-One

Klasse High Gloss Sealant Glaze (2 Coats)

Meguiar’s Quik Detailer (as needed)

Post Thanks / Like
    bump!

Thread Information