Post Thanks / Like
    A while ago I read a thread where some people commented they loved the slickness of Eagle One WET Wipe `n Shine. This struck me as being odd since I had also used Mothers California Gold Showtime Instant Detailer as part of my claying prep and thought that it was slicker than the Eagle One I am now using with my Klasse layers.

So grabbing both bottles I dusted off a section of my parents` minivan and applied a healthy spray of each QD product to a 1.5 or so square foot adjoining area each and buffed dry (separately of course).

Knowing that I was biased with a pre-conception, I spent probably 10 minutes (!) basically groping and fondling () both areas trying various motions and actions to differentiate the two. After a while I found a consistent, repeatable way of moving my fingers in such a way that I could definitely tell the Mothers product really IS slicker. Not as slick as I remembered, but still better. Now the difference isn`t big at all, owing to the amount of time it took to tell this, but I could move my fingers with less drag and squeaking over the finish than with the EO and it felt slightly smoother as a result.

Shine and gloss were not compared. I have not had any issues with either product and both seemed easy to use.

In a previous thread I had also noted how the slickness from the Mothers QD alone (without wax or anything) had lasted several days parked out in the sun. This kind of surprised me since I had not expected a QD to be very durable in high heat. Unfortunately I don`t have any comparable experience to compare the Eagle One with.

I have found the EO to be slightly cheaper and you get 2 oz. more per bottle.

The Eagle One has a pleasant, slightly sweet, clean scent with strong hints of vanilla and a slight hint of bubblegum. The Mothers smells like slighty sweet cinnamon - pleasant if you like cinnamon.

Question:

Does the Mothers QD contain silicones, waxes, or oils?

I`m using the EO with my Klasse because it has been reported safe (and suggested by CMA) much like Final Inspection and other QDs. There is little info or usage about the Mothers product but I think it has been assumed that it does contain some wax/oil/silicone. I emailed Mothers but I may not have clearly stated what I was doing and he cryptically replied "Please rest assured it is compatible..." Can anyone really verify or refute any of this?

Umm.... forrest again? Heh heh.

Serious no BS kinda guy forrest@mothers's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Showtime Instant Detailer does not contain any wax. You most likely e-mailed our chemist link, and got a chemist`s answer ("it`s compatible...").

It does contain some friendly, compatible oils and yes silicone (as do most, if not all other detailers). I`d caution you not to read too much into that word, though, as silicone, in and of itself is not bad, but rather the type and quality of the silicone. It will not interfere with the application of any synthetic products to a paint surface - I`ve tested it with everything I can find - Zaino, Blackfire, Klasse, Liquid Glass.

If you`d like to see the MSDS, e-mail me direct and I`ll send you a .pdf, although there`s really nothing listed on it that`s interesting.
    forrest

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m sorry, where have my manners been?!? :doh

THANK YOU FORREST!

Post Thanks / Like
    You`re welcome. Always glad to help with whatever I can. BTW, the only detailer I can think of that may not have any silicone in it is Meguiar`s #39, and I`m not even sure abut that.

Silicone can be good. Every been to Hollywood????? Those are examples of good silicone. Bad silicone - think Pamela Anderson Lee......
    forrest

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by forrest

Silicone can be good. Every been to Hollywood????? Those are examples of good silicone. Bad silicone - think Pamela Anderson Lee......
    LOL, yeah me and my friends also paid a visit to "Silicone Valley" a couple years ago!

Post Thanks / Like
    I love the shine of Mother`s and the mist from the red/purple bottle of Meguiars. I am thinking ..... I need more purple bottles. Does anyone know where you can buy bottles that mist simular to Meguiars bottle? Without having to buy the Meguiars QD.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by rightlane

I love the shine of Mother`s and the mist from the red/purple bottle of Meguiars. I am thinking ..... I need more purple bottles. Does anyone know where you can buy bottles that mist simular to Meguiars bottle? Without having to buy the Meguiars QD.
    I`ve heard the same thing - that the Megs bottles mist really well! Can you even open them though? I tried once (to smell the QD) and was afraid of breaking it. Wierd design.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes you can open the Meguiars bottle. I have CP in my Mequiars bottle. I don`t remember how the top screws off. I am not a home to check it out.

Post Thanks / Like
    The Meguiar`s burgundy bottle of detailer has the neatest sprayhead of anyone`s I`ve ever seen. As you squeeze the trigger, the nozzle fans itself downward. It`s great so you don`t oversaturate an area with detailer.

I`m poor, so I just fan my brand`s bottle left to right as I squeeze the trigger.

I think their sprayhead is glued in addtion to the threads. It should unscrew with a little effort.
    forrest

Post Thanks / Like
    Grab bottle, grab sprayer head, and rotate counter clockwise.

Seriously, it just has some locking tabs at the base. Once you break it loose, it`s no big deal.
    -Sam

Post Thanks / Like
    Meguirs, Eagle One and Griots Garage and I think the Griots wins hands down.. I also like their worlds best sprayer too.. it is the best..

I also happen to like Pamela Anderson silicone too...

dboat

Thread Information