Post Thanks / Like
    Product Review

3M Finish Restorer & Wax

Brand: 3M

Product Code: 03902

Country of Origin: USA

Store Purchased: True Value Shangrila Plaza

Price as purchased: P299.75

Other products used/notes: The car test surface was previously washed and clayed, tar and other surface dirt removed. Product applied by hand.

Product Description: Excellent for hand or machine use. 3M Finish Restorer & Wax rapidly cleans and removes most fine and medium scratches and surface imperfections, oxidation and stubborn stains. Leaving a deep, rich luster and a durable finish.

Caution:

Always clean, polish and wax car surfaces in shaded and cool area. The surface must be dry and surface contaminants removed such as tar, overspray, etc. Protect from freezing or product may separate.

Directions for use:

1) Wash and dry vehicle. Do not apply on direct sunlight or onto a hot surface. Shake Well before use.

Hand: Polish small areas, about one to two square feet.

1) Dispense a quarter-size drop of material onto clean, soft, cotton terry cloth towel and apply to the paint surface using a firm, circular motion.

2) Rub until dry, turning cloth to assist clean-up. Repeat as necessary.

Machine: Random Orbital or Rotary

1) Apply enough material to paint surface to work a two foot by two foot area.

2) Start machine and buff using light to medium pressure.

3) Reduce pressure as material begins to dry and polish to a high gloss.

Product Review:

Pros:

Effective and non-abrasive - The product is non-abrasive and clear coat safe, it removes contaminants and watermarks with ease without hard rubbing.

I made sure that it wasn`t the oil or fillers (present in products like 3M Imperial Hand Glaze) that hid the swirls instead of taking the out. I wiped the scratched/swirled surface with a 50/50 solution of isopropyl alcohol and water to make sure that any oils or fillers will be removed and the true paint will show. The result speaks for itself, the light scratches and swirls are gone and not filled in.

Value - Only a little product is required to cover a generous surface area. The price is also lower than most other brands of cleaner waxes or finish restorers.

Results - Regardless of how old your water spots, acid rain marks or oxidation may be, 3M Finish Restorer can bring back the depth and gloss of your paint without the need of a high speed rotary. Light scratches and swirls is also taken care off.

Cons:

Residue - If product is applied a little too thick, quite a bit of residue will result. I suggest a one-peso coin sized (quarter size) product per 2x2 square feet area is sufficient.

Lack of wax - Although the product does contain a little wax, it is a far cry from a separate wax or sealant, regardless of brand. The shine from a relatively cheap wax (such as Turtle Wax hard Shell Wax) will outshine and outgloss this product with ease. 3M Finish Restorer should be used a a paint cleaner, not a wax. If left unprotected by another layer of pure wax or sealant, the finish will lose its luster and gloss in a matter of days.

Work involved - The product is easy to use, but it has to be "broken down" gradually. Breaking down the product means that the product gradually breaks down into finer particles to seep in an blend with the paint to clean and revujenate the surface. If you don`t follow the instruction, the product can by smeary at times.The instructions indicates that the product should be applied until almost all the product has disappeared.

It is not like a typical wax wherein you apply, let haze and buff off. The product works best with a machine, but it`s not necessary. Although time consuming, the end result is very satisfactory.

I credit 3M for clearly indicating what needs to be done with the product and not leave users second guessing on what to do with it.

Verdict:

I definitely recommend this product for the owner of a neglected car who wants to restore an oxidized, water marked and stained paint surface without the help of a professional or the use of a machine. It is a good start for a weekend detailer`s quest for a decent paint restoration project.

The 3M Finish Restorer can easily rejuvenate a relatively old (5 years or less) paint that`s etched with hard water marks, light scratches and light oxidation. You can really expect your car to look a few years younger after using this product correctly.

Having that said, I must point out what this product is not. This product is not an all-in-one cleaner-polish-wax system. The product is more like a cleaner wax. Safely removing old oxidized, water marked, lightly scratched and swirled paint. It can not remove deeper scratches like compounds do, it can not remove surface imperfection such as tar, overspray paint and surface defects that clings to the paint like a clay bar does. It also is not a stand alone wax that can offer good depth, gloss and protection. If being left unprotected with a separate wax, the clean surface will be tarnished in a matter of weeks.

There may be more "Cons" than "Pros" in my review, but that doesn`t mean that the product didn`t deliver its claims. It`s just that for its price and 3M`s reputation on automotive detailing products, I was expecting a little more. I think the residue and a better wax mixture should be incorporated to make this product really shine (no pun intended).

Rating: (Scale of 1 to 10, 1 being worst, 10 being best)

Value - 7

Performance - 9

Quality - 8

Packaging and Instructions - 9

Availability - 8

Price - 7

Overall - 8/10

Post Thanks / Like
    theveed,

given the fact that SMR is not available here in Manila, would this be a good alternative? I assume that this product could be used in between the compounding and the polishing or waxing stage? what do you think?

cheers padre!

Post Thanks / Like
    SMR and FI-II are available in Hahn Tools Shangrila, my friend.

Meguiar`s is available in Kamias... they have most of the product line except #20... they have no plans of carrying them (says the owner)... I guess I`ll have to go with Klasse, a friend of mine is going to the US next month and we`re planning to get the Klasse twins from CMA

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks padre. What`s your opinion - would both the SMR and the Finish Restorer work the same way?

Thanks for the tip also. I`ll visit Hahn asap and take a look at the stuff.

Enjoy your Klasse!

Post Thanks / Like
    Finish Restorer acts much like a cleaner wax... I haven`t tried using both together (I haven`t used my SMR, still waiting for the rotary to show up in my closet hehe)... My hunch is you can use finish restorer to remove water spots, etc... then SMR to remove scratches (F.R. doesn`t remove much, it`s great on water spots, though), then wax.

Thread Information