Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    I was going to post this entirely in this forum, but I just kept typing and typing and typing and finally realized that a web page (or 2!) would be better.

Here is my account of a Blackfire vs. Zaino comparison. I have put some side-by-side pictures in -- see if you are able to tell the difference!

http://www.staff.uiuc.edu/~dneece/zaino/battle.html

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks good, I`d still have to go with zainos though. Shouldn`t u have used Z2 with that? Isn`t that the main polish/wax in the system?

Post Thanks / Like
    Dave- Good Job on the comparo! I just ordered some Zaino after looking at blackfire. I wish I would have seen that before hand. Oh well.:sosad
    ~Cody Julian

Post Thanks / Like
    Great review!

Thanks for going to the extra work of not only doing it, but documenting it and posting it.

/Carguy

Post Thanks / Like
    Great comparison!:xyxthumbs

I could tell a difference between the sharpness of the two halves.

I love Z on metallic paints, but I must say I like BF on solid and darker colors, especially when topped with Souveran or Blitz!

Anyways, your truck looks great!

:wavey
    Life is just too short to drive a substandard vehicle...

Post Thanks / Like
    good job

Now pass the Zaino:wavey
    DEDICATED TO THE PURPOSE BEYOND REASON... Oakley ..

Bill 97 Camaro SS #1422

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by thevolvoguy

Dave- Good Job on the comparo! I just ordered some Zaino after looking at blackfire. I wish I would have seen that before hand. Oh well.:sosad

Just curious--why would you decide you`d rather have Blackfire? From everything I`ve read Zaino`s durability is better AND it doesn`t attract dust like it sounds like Blackfire does. Anyway, just wondering why you think you`d rather go the other way.

Eric

Post Thanks / Like
    great job!...............................I cant tell the difference, maybe in person i can

Post Thanks / Like
    I formerly had Zaino on my car. I currently have Souveran on it. I have Blackfire sitting in my garage as we speak. For me, I want my black car to have the wettest look. Zaino gives more reflectivity and clarity whereas BF gives gloss and depth something similar to a carnuba. But I plan to top BF with Souveran though.:wavey

Post Thanks / Like
    Excellent test and website layout!!

I think the vast majority would be hard pressed to tell the diff between the two. Some say they can but they`ve got a 50% chance to get their guess right. I looked at the pics several times and guessed the wrong one.

Some Autopians who have used BF and Z have said they cannot tell a diff either. On my car I can tell the Z leaves a glossier finish but that`s just a reflection of my paint, not so much as result of the product. Some paint and colors will respond well to Z and others won`t.

Well done on the comparo.:up :up
    There are only three things you need to know about me. Gloss, Gloss, GLOSS!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice work with the comparo!

IMO, even though BF may offer a comparable look to Zaino, I still feel the biggest advantages of Z are the longevity (durability), UV protection, and minimal dust attraction. What Z may or may not lack in the depth department, it more than makes up for in the durability, slickness, and ease of maintainence areas, which makes it awfully hard to switch to a another system in my case.

About putting Z5 over BF, well, I honestly don`t think it would do any long term good. BF is loaded with silicones which Zaino will not form a bond to. So, the Zaino topper won`t be any more durable than the BF that`s underneath it. Just my $.02...

Anyway, nice testing, and keep us posted on long-term durability and shine/slickness....

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by eboller

Just curious--why would you decide you`d rather have Blackfire? From everything I`ve read Zaino`s durability is better AND it doesn`t attract dust like it sounds like Blackfire does. Anyway, just wondering why you think you`d rather go the other way.

Eric

Eric- Webviper took the words out of my mouth. Blackfire seems to provide more of a deeper shine on darker colors, I LOVE BF topped with a good carnauba like Souveran or P21S. Zaino`s shine is great as well I dont have any regrets on ordering I just wish I would have considered the BF a little more than I did.

~Cody Julian

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks to everyone for the replies and comments. Of course, pictures don`t come close to doing justice to any detail job. I`ll bet you could use Turtle Wax and snap some pics and people would say "looks great, man!" as a common courtesy. In my case, the Blackfired panels look markedly different than the Z`d panels. In direct sunlight, the effect is less noticeable, but then again my paint kind of takes on a funny orangish hue in bright light. In indirect lighting, the Blackfire looks much richer and wetter. Oddly enough, if I take a pic in direct sunlight or bright artificial lighting, sometimes the paint looks purple-ish. I had one of my Z`d hood that turned out that way. I wanted to get a nice hood shot because the Tacoma has some nice hood lines, but all the pics turned out purple-ish.

Back to the subject -- I was comparing truck halves today, and the Blackfire looks much darker, which is what I really want. But I want that Z reflectivity, slickness, and durability as well! Hey, maybe I should try Klasse again! Looks like things have come full-circle.

Seriously, does anyone know if you can put Zaino over AIO? I tried some AIO on a panel that had SMR haze just to make sure that it would darken back up, and it did nicely (I then removed the AIO). I was all set to try Zaino over Blackfire polish until MM mentioned the silicones.

I haven`t had a day off in a long time, so I`m taking tomorrow off and Zing my parents` white minivan. I may AIO a truck panel and try some Z5 over it, since I`ll have it all mixed up for the van.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by thevolvoguy

Eric- Webviper took the words out of my mouth. Blackfire seems to provide more of a deeper shine on darker colors, I LOVE BF topped with a good carnauba like Souveran or P21S. Zaino`s shine is great as well I dont have any regrets on ordering I just wish I would have considered the BF a little more than I did.

I guessed that after reading some of the other posts. That`s cool. I guess for me, my goals are different. Although, I definitely might like the deeper look, I also would rather be driving than "waxing". So if Zaino has greater durablity, it is better for me. Have you used Zaino before? Maybe you`ll be smitten. =)

Eric

Post Thanks / Like
    But that`s what makes us autopians...we detail and detail and detail and detail....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information