End result pics can be seen here www.pbase.com/theveed/detailing_projects

Product Review

K&W Engine Degreaser

Brand: K&W (www.kandw.com/kwproducts/degreaser.html)

Country of Origin: USA

Where to buy: Handyman Galleria

Price as purchased: P201.00

Other products used: 1 bottle of 1:10 mixture of car shampoo and water in a spray bottle; 1 terry cloth, 2 toothbrush, 1 angled scrub pad.

Product Description:

KW Engine Degreaser is a spray-can type heavy engine degreaser. I is a heavy duty, professional strength engine degreaser with special solvents and grease cutters that can cut through thick engine grime.

Caution:

The spray nozzle provides a long, fine stream of product instead of a mist-type pattern, use with caution on edges wherein the product may contact automotive paint. The product can smear most paint jobs, I suggest that you apply a layer of wax on the fenders and bumpers or cover with masking tape and towel before proceeding.

Cover vital electrical and engine ignition parts such as distributor cap, fuse housings, alternator, etc. with plastic bags or wraps before proceeding as moisture on these parts may cause misfires, failed starts or other electrical problems with the automobile.

Directions for use:

1) Warm engine to a level wherein it`s warm but cool enough to touch with bare hands.

2) Spray product liberally on all soiled surface, allow to soak for 10 minutes or so.

3) Agitation with a brush or rag may be required for heavily soaked areas and crevices.

4) Rinse well with a steady stream of water.

5) Wipe most of the engine bay dry.

6) Remove plastic bags and start engine for about 10 minutes to help water evaporate from crevices.

For heavily soiled engines, work on one area at a time, dividing the engine bay into quarters is ideal, in my opinion, since the product evaporates quite quickly and doesn`t seem to aid the emulsifying of grime if left to dry.

Product Review:

Pros:

Quantity - The can is large enough to cover an engine bay that hasn`t been de-grimed for years. It quickly dissolves most grime on plastic surfaces such as windshield washer and coolant reservoir.

Spray Nozzle - The nozzle can squirt out a straight stream up to approximately four feet in distance, easily reaching deep, low crevices than mist-type nozzles can not.

Price - This degreaser is cheaper than most degreaser available locally.

Cons:

Quality and effectivity - Interestingly, this product smells, feels, and works just like kerosene. Yes, plain old kerosene. The product leaves a dry but greasy film when sprayed onto surfaces just like kerosene.

Although the label indicates that the product will rinse away the grime that it dissolves, I found this to be untrue. The product, when mixed with engine grime forms a thick soot-like liquid that must be rinsed off with water, then with a soap and water mixture in order to effectively clean the treated surface. Rubber parts are especially difficult to rinse off with this product, the soap and water solution must be used. Again, much like plain kerosene.

It was able to clean flat metal well (such as the engine block and cam cover), but not without considereble agitation from a brush. It wasn`t able to take out a dried oil spot that was on the engine cover effectively.

Just like kerosene, it leaves a terrible dryness to your skin and makes painted surfaces smear unless re-polished using a cleaner wax or similar product. Overall, it took me four and a half (4.5) hours to clean the engine thoroughly. It usually takes me about two hourse and a half (2.5) hours with products like Simple Green or Turtle Wax Purple Muscle.

Verdict:

Although this product was able to clean and degrime my engine well, it wasn`t without considerable effort. The product HELPED the engine grime to dissolve, but the product did not clean the engine by itself, as claimed on the label. Even the lightest grime had to be agitated and rinsed with soap and water solution to effectively remove the grime.

Due to the fact that this product worked no better than kerosene, I would have saved P170 if I just purchased a liter of kerosene from my neighborhood gas station. Although the engine is now clean, it still left me a pair of dry and sore hands and a lighter wallet.

I do not recommend this product not because it doesn`t work (it does work well), but it`s no better than kerosene with detergents. If you`re on a budget, you`re better off with kerosene as long as you know where not to apply kerosene.

Rating: (Scale of 1 to 10, 1 being worst, 10 being best)

Value - 4

Performance - 6

Quality - 5

Packaging and Instructions - 7

Availability - 9

Price - 7

Overall - 6.3/10

PICS: (more available at http://www.pbase.com/theveed/detailing_projects)

Before and After: