Post Thanks / Like
    Having used all three bars, I can give you a brief review of each.

Clay Magic

Pros: Very soft and pliable, very effective in removing contaminants, Natural Clay, Price

Cons: Will leave residue on un-lubed areas if you aren`t careful (residue can be removed with a MT and the lube)

I used the Clay Magic kit on the Maxima last weekend and found that the product is very easy to use. I found it very easy to form into the requisite patty and break off pieces from the bar. The bar was a bear to get open because it was somewhat sticky (but that`s a good thing in this case). After claying, the finish felt very smooth and it made the application of AIO a breeze.

Mothers

Pros: Very effective in contaminant removal, largest bar in the three

Cons: Difficult to shape and break off, Price is highest (Mine ran me around $17 at Pep Boys), I did not get more than 3 good uses out of it before I had to toss it.

The first thing I noticed about this bar is that it was very hard to shape. No matter what amount of brute strength I used, this bar took a lot of force to break apart and/or form into a useable shape. It had gotten to the point where I wanted to use a saw or serrated knife to cut the bar into pieces. The supplied QD is a very good lubricant (I still have some left). After claying my `94 Maxima, a `92 Accord, Part of a `99 Navigator, and an `00 Concorde, I had to toss the bar.

Meguiar`s

Pros: Very pliable, inexpensive, QD is a good lube

Cons: Can leave a lot of residue, bar is smaller than Clay Magic

This item is inexpensive but the adage of "You get what you pay for applies here." I like the fact that the bar is easy to open but the bar is smaller than the Clay Magic and the Mothers. As far as ease of use, the bar would leave moderate residue on the thinly lubed areas. The finish was smooth but not as smooth as the Mothers or Clay Magic. I liked the pliability of the bar but the extra work to make sure that the residue was gone made me give that kit to a friend of mine. I did clay more cars with it than with the Mother`s.

My personal preference is the Clay Magic because it gives me the best balance between pliability, ease of use, and effectiveness.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve only used the Mothers clay bar, but the one I have seems to be reasonably pliable. I don`t have anything to compare it to, but I had no problem breaking pieces off or shaping the bar. Maybe the one you purchased was old.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have to agree completely. I`ve tried all the consumer bars and Clay Magic is definitely the best and it lasts a long time, too.

For heavy overspray, though, you will have to step up to Clay Magic red or Meguiars Body Shop Pro clay-and both are very sticky.
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    What about Pinnacle`s Poly-Clay bar/lube??? How does that work?? I am thinking about buying their Poly-Clay Kit which even comes with INSTRUCTIONS ....Anybody ever use it?
    Sean

2009 Honda Accord EX-L

2000 Ford Explorer XLT

2001 BMW 330ci Convertible (gone)

2003 Ford SVT Mustang Cobra (gone)

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by PrinzII

Mothers

Pros: Very effective in contaminant removal, largest bar in the three

Cons: Difficult to shape and break off, Price is highest (Mine ran me around $17 at Pep Boys), I did not get more than 3 good uses out of it before I had to toss it.

I`m surprised your Mother`s claybar turned out to be larger than CM. My CM bar was 4 oz and the bar that came with the Mother`s kit was only 2 ounces.

Post Thanks / Like
    I very much dislike the polyclay. That stuff is a bear to fold and manipulate. It does a good job of removing surface contaminants, but so does Claymagic. And afterwords, your fingers won`t feel like they have been through a meat grinder.
    -Sam

Post Thanks / Like
    I have used all three and I have to say I pick Mother`s.

Meguiar`s Overspray Clay (not Quik Clay) - easy to form and use, but leaves a lot of residue, unless you literally soak the entire area in QD.

Clay Magic - easy to form, and less streaky than Meguiar`s.

Mother`s - toughest to mould, but not unreasonably so. Smallest bar, but I think it is the most efficient in picking up contaminants. The kit is a good deal even with the useless cleaner wax. I can pick it up for $19 Cdn. before taxes.

Meguiar`s - not sure but I think it 200 grams

Clay Magic - 200 grams $39 Cdn

Mother`s - 80 grams $19 with QD and wax.

Thread Information