Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    I decided to use ZFX/Z5 on our dark green Accord. It was a windy day with the temperature around 60F.

<strong class=`bbc`>Removing Blackfire [/b]
    I followed Sal Zaino`s recommendation of using Dawn to remove my 3 coats of Blackfire Protectant. While rinsing off the Dawn, I noticed the water still beaded but not as much as when it had Blackfire on it.

<strong class=`bbc`>Zaino ZFX/Z5[/b]
    I used 1 oz of Z5 and 4 drops of ZFX.

<strong class=`bbc`>Syringe Technique[/b]
    I decided to use the syringe technique, but I don`t think I`m going to use the syringe anymore. With the 1oz ZFX/Z5 in the syringe, it was very hard to shake because it was air tight in the syringe. Then under constant pressure, very small amounts of ZFX/Z5 started coming out of the cap on the nose of the syringe. In the end, I did use up all of the ZFX/Z5 because the syringe really pushed it all out.

1. While applying, I noticed a blue dot (which was ZFX) in the syringe. I assumed that I did not really shake the ZFX and Z5 well, so I shook it more. There shouldn`t be any blue remnants of the ZFX in the container right?

<strong class=`bbc`>ZFX/Z5 x3 coats[/b]
    I used a Viking foam applicator pad and put in a dime size amount of the ZFX/Z5 for every panel of the car. On the hood and roof, I had to use a little more. Application was very easy at first, but when the foam pad got very saturated, it took a little more effort to apply it. I let the Z5 dry for at least 30 minutes on each coat and used the Z6 QD after buffing off each coat.

1. Would spraying a light mist of Z6 on the foam pad made it easier to apply the ZFX/Z5?
    2. When spreading the Z5 around, it seemed to disappear because I was using very thin coats. Is this normal?
    3. On some parts of the car, the Z5 streaked (instructions said to apply in a back and forth motion). Is this normal? (pictures below of the hood and fender)
    4. I did 3 coats with 1oz of Z5 on a mid-size sedan. Did I apply it too thin or should I have used a little more on each coat?

<strong class=`bbc`>Overall[/b]
    It was getting dark by the time I was done, so I couldn`t really get good pics, but this morning I got to see the results better and I like the look. It is more reflective and definitely slicker. I hope the slickness will stay after numerous washes.

I will post more pics later when the weather gets better.

Post Thanks / Like
    After shot #2

Post Thanks / Like
    After shot #3

Post Thanks / Like
    Syringe with 1oz of ZFX/Z5 and the Viking foam applicator pad.

Post Thanks / Like
    <blockquote class=`ipsBlockquote` >

3. On some parts of the car, the Z5 streaked (instructions said to apply in a back and forth motion). Is this normal? (pictures below of the hood and fender)</blockquote>

Post Thanks / Like
    <blockquote class=`ipsBlockquote` >

3. On some parts of the car, the Z5 streaked (instructions said to apply in a back and forth motion). Is this normal? (pictures below of the fender)</blockquote>

Post Thanks / Like
    If it did, it is because it did not dry completely, or perhaps some BF was still on the car......

Anyhow, you are ok, just wash the car in Z7 wash when you get a chance and it should level it out.

That is impressive....3 coats with one ounce!! Don`t be afraid to use a little more if you want, ZFX additive makes zaino reall idiot proof, and even super thin coats dry fast.

I would recommend better mixing than you described though.....add ZFX and really shake it well for 60 seconds.

Pics look great........keep us posted! Do you have Z6 and Z7?

Post Thanks / Like
    Detailking,

The streaking actually started at the point of application. Once I put some Z5 on the pad, then spreaded it around the hood, that`s when the streaking started. The picture below is at 30 minutes of drying time. Do you think Z6 on the pad could have helped it?

Oh yeah, I do have Z6 and Z7. I plan on using the Z7 before I add another few coats of Z5.

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks like great results to me!

To answer your questions:

1. Yes, you can spray some Z6 on the foam app to get even thinner coats. I use the exact same foams and I`m already getting very thin coats, so I see no need for a spay before hand. But, it`s certainly worth a try as it won`t hurt a thing.

2. Yes, it`s normal for Z5 and Z2 to almost disappear completely if the coats are thin enough. I can barely see the coats on the side panels on my car, but they are a little more pronounced on the horizontal panels, hood, roof, etc...

3. If Z5 is streaking, like in your pic, then it looks like you used a little too much product on that panel. The film should be very light and heavy streaks of film probably mean over application.

4. 3 coats with one ounce is great! Maybe a little thin in some areas....but with three coats, this makes up for it.

Yes, Zaino will last through many many washings without a loss of gloss or slickness.

So, do you like the look of Zaino or BF overall?

Well Done!

:xyxthumbs

Post Thanks / Like
    Amazing reflectivity on that dark green paint!

Now on to read your review on Klasse,

Jason

Post Thanks / Like
    The streaking looks scary. I think you should work on the point of application a little more. Give it a couple more strokes to spread it out. I don`t think you blend in ZFX good enough. Not suppose to see blue remnants. Maybe you can`t give a good shake due to that narrow syringe. You might have better luck mixing it with the plastic bottle.

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow, those pics look great! Now that you`ve had a chance to see 3 coats of BF and 3 coats of Zaino/ZFX on the same car, could you tell us your impressions of the look of each? Things like reflectivity, depth, "wetness," etc. I`m still trying to decide whether to go with ZFX (I already use Zaino) or BF this summer.

peace

Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the tips and compliments everyone. If weather and time permits, I`m going to try at least 1 coat of Z5 before the sun goes down today.

How do I compare Blackfire to Zaino? Let`s give a little background first. When I first applied Blackfire in December, it rained the next few days. The next week after application, I gave it a Gold Class wash and noticed the slickness and fine scratches reappeared.

I applied Zaino yesterday and there were showers this morning (what`s up with me detailing and raining the next day? :nixweiss ). After the showers stopped and the sun had dried up the car, I checked out the slickness and it was still slick as the last application of Z5. I know it`s an unfair comparison due to the amount of days in between, but that the closest comparison I can give for now.

So, based of my experience, though I`m not an expert, I would say that Zaino retains it`s slickness, where Blackfire lost it`s slickness. With Zaino, the car is very reflective and shiny; whereas Blackfire gives it a deeper look. Overall, I prefer Zaino over Blackfire.

Post Thanks / Like
    I tried the syringe for the first time with ZFX today, too, and I ran into some of the same problems that olivher did. But, I think I learned a couple of things that will make it go more smoothly next time . . . FWIW, here`s my $0.02:

First, I filled my 35 mL syringe with 30 mL (one ounce) of Z5, then put four drops of ZFX on top and inserted the plunger into the barrel. There was some air pressure fighting me, but I kept the seal together with my hand and started shaking. It took a long time for the blue of the ZFX to finally mix with the Z5 . . . only 5 mL of headroom in the syringe didn`t give enough room for the mix to agitate while shaking. Next time, I`ll either only mix 1/2 ounce at a time so that there`s enough air space in the syringe to mix easily, or I`ll add several BBs or small ball-bearings to provide some mixing action if I decide to mix an entire ounce.

Although a pain-in-the-nethers to mix ZFX in the syringe, I found it great for application. I used a PC to apply the mix to the car(ssshhhh, don`t tell Sal ), and averaged a little less than 1 mL per panel. Precise measurements were a breeze, and the small nozzle on the syringe allowed me to "scrub" a thin layer of product all around the PC pad for each panel. Application was very thin and even . . . I didn`t have to really buff the residue off, just a couple of wipes with a MF and the haze was replaced with super-slick shine. Thank God Omaha got a warm day . . . Zaino may be durable, but several weeks of caked-on calcium chloride had done a number on any kind of beading below the belt-line on the WRX.

This is the second time I`ve used ZFX, and so far, :up. The quick dry-time and even-easier-removal than straight Z2/Z5 make it something I`ll use occasionally even when I don`t intend to layer (especially on those cooler humid days when straight Z2/Z5 seems to take quite a while to dry completely).

Awaiting tomorrow`s inevitable rain,

Tort

Post Thanks / Like
    Olivher, thanks for the good review. Congratulations on your terrific results.

Looking at the pictures of your streaks, I think the reason you are getting them is because you are using back and forth motions that are too long. You don`t need to use back and forth motions that are almost the same length as your entire panel. Just use back and forth motions that are about 1.5 to 2 feet in length. It`s very difficult to get anything resembling a thin even distribution of product using such long motions. And yes, using Z-6 helps!

I use small circular motions for everything, including buffing. That`s a a big no-no, but I find that I can get very even layers this way and less residue when buffing. Haven`t really had a problem with swirls yet.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information