Post Thanks / Like
    Well Guys,

After all the talk about the Kroger towel, I went to my local grocer today and found this. We don`t have Kroger, but my Giant had this 3M towel marketed by their Scotch-Brite brand. It is called the High Performance Cleaning Cloth with Unique Micro Texture. `Cleans without Sprays and Polishes.`

Some highlights from the back:

Soft micro-texture lifts and traps dust so it doesn`t scatter

Lint-Free, streak-free and scratch-free results

Even Cds and DVDs can be safely cleaned

Picks up oils, fingerprints and smudges without the need for sprays

Great for detailing cars and motorcycles. Does not scratch Paint.

Then there is a * after some of these that reads: <strong class=`bbc`>Caution: cloth itself does not scratch surfaces, but can pick up particles that do scratch. Serged edge may scratch delicate surfaces. Test in an inconspicuous area before use.[/b]

Directions: Performs with or without household chemicals, just fold cloth and gently wipe surfaces. For tough dried-on messes: spray cloth lightly with water - do not saturate cloth.

So when I open the package and take out the cloth, the tag on it says: 80%polyester and 20%nylon. Now understand that I am not a MF towel expert (yet) but I do have 5 towels from Steve in the garage. Of course I know that with the 80 and 20 materials they are not real MF towels, but they feel like the Steve towels, just not nearly as plush or thick. Here is the weird part, I rubbed as hard as I could on a cd-r disc and it did not scratch at all. Not even a little.

So the question is this: is this an alternative (I think not, and don`t want to try it on my car, but maybe the interior) to the better MF towels? I will probably keep this inside the car to pick up dust and the inside windows etc. I was just surprised that it passed the cd test.

Any thoughts from the experts? Sorry this was so long, just wanted to include all the details. BTW- it was $4.

Scotch Brite Towel Info

E. J.

Post Thanks / Like
    The information you mentioned is exactly what those cheap SOB (don`t get me started) NicSand MFs. It has the whole 80/20 thing going on, as well as the "it won`t scratch, but it may pick up things that do scratch." I despise that awful piece of cloth.
    -Chuckmotor

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey EJ they seem identical to the yellow MF cloths that 3M sells with their detailing stuff. However the price is a buck less on the ones you found. My thoughts are that they work really well for wiping off wax and polish and sealant. The waffle pattern seems to give these towels a little more stiction than cotton or really plush MF towels which can be a benefit when wiping off SG. Their small size comes in handy for detailing small areas like door jambs and the finning on the 911`s whale tale.

They also work good on glass but I recommend that if you use it for glass that you designate a towel just for glass and don`t mix it up with the ones you use for polish etc. They launder well otherwise and I have seen them now from 3M in multiple colors. If I can recall they had white, yellow, green, blue, and red.

Post Thanks / Like
    Those are micro fibers, and are a pretty good quality.

They just put the same warning on that they do on their bodyshop version of the microfibers.

As far as it saying polyester/nylon, polydamide is a version of nylon and so they can put what they want to set them apart from other micro fibers.

This is a China produced towel, if my memory of a conversation with one of the Automotive Trades VP`s last July serve me correct.

5- guys, only 5 mills produce this fabric.

Ketch

"Logic dictates I have been at this detailing thing way too many years!":wink1:

Post Thanks / Like
    I was in Long`s Drugstore today and they have both the 3M ($4) and the Viper 2 pack for $9.99. Since I still prefer neatitems and Yo Steve`s MF`s and they don`t cost that much more, I will stick with the 2 best for now.

Post Office Box 9 Newbury, OH 44065 AIM:YoSteveDotCom
    Post Thanks / Like
    That`s what I like about 3M the company in general, they have that disclaimer saying it can pick up dirt that can scratch and it tells you to test the edges. 3M`s a class act; they really do their homework. As for their towel, I believe they make plusher one which might be better. But this one`s good for glass and dusting (I`d have to test it for interior swirlable plastic)

The first time I saw microfiber I saw these on home shopping a few years ago, back then I was like who`s going to pay over $5 for 1 cloth that you supposedly can use over and over, haha!

Post Thanks / Like
    So Ron and Steve, if I read your replys correctly, these are MF towels, just the lower quality 80/20 version rather than the good 70/30? If so, that is great. I think I will use it for glass and interior dusting etc... I will stick with Steve`s better towels for the exterior.

Hmm...... I wonder how these would do at brake dust on the wheels in-between washings??? (wondering out loud).

Short Cut, I think the website listed other colors, and it did list the automotive one that Ron refers to as well.

Here is a link to the automotive cloth that I think Ron described.

Here is the picture of the automotive towel:

http://multimedia.mmm.com/mws/mediaw...zzz9eNKBZZZZ8-

Here is a link to a commercial 3M has running about these cloths (I have not watched it yet).

Thanx for the guidance.

E. J.

Post Thanks / Like
    EJ I bought one a while back and posted a review of it I think in the review section.

Pretty good cloth for windows plastics etc...

Not plush enough for me to use with QD...pretty good at buffing after removing wax like a suede...

Great on my eyeglasses...I keep it inside my truck for dusting while driving...

It is high quality but has a different nap and a different purpose than the terry plush towels.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have one of those towels, too. It does work very well on glass. In my expereince, the terry towels work better for wax removal and drying. The 3M towles just don`t seem to absorb as much as the terry towels do. However, they are really fantastic for glass. This was the first MF towel I ever tried, and becasue it worked so well I have been buying them ever since...
    2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport -- Zaino

1999 MB C280 -- 1Z Glanz

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow,

I`ve never had a post moved from one list to another and then had the photos removed as well and turned to links.

Not sure what the difference between my new MF towel post and the other one from the Kroger store that now has 44 responses in the detailing board?

Just curious I guess.

E. J.

Thread Information