Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best Winter Wax

Post Thanks / Like
    Is what I would use in teh winter.

I had both Klasse adn Zaino on two cars through the Minnesota winter (which consists of snow, ice, and SALT), and Klasse ended up outlasting Zaino for me at least.

Post Office Box 9 Newbury, OH 44065 AIM:YoSteveDotCom
    Post Thanks / Like
    neo, how could you tell?

did Z stop beading and did K still sheet/bead all winter long?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mainly the water beading. Sheeting action was much reduced on the Zaino, but Klasse never sheets that great anyways.

Post Thanks / Like
    One thing that I have noticed is that bird droppings are more difficult to remove on the Zaino treated cars that I work on. Sure its not an exact science as there could be other variables. But this fact is clear. In the summer, I found that removing bird droppings on a Klasse panel was easier and didn`t have as much initial etching into the paint. The summer heat here is terrible and after a few hours you`d be surprised at what bird droppings can do.

Post Thanks / Like
    Dk is correct on the beeding thing. Zaino does bead exceptionally well. It`s a pain in the rear cleaning up all the perfect water spots that form on my car after a light rain here.

Post Thanks / Like
    i`ve only had the Z on since mid sept so i cant say about the dog days of July/Aug....but it was in the mid 80`s and humid as hell in NY...and as long as i let the bombs setup a little before i wiped...they just flicked right off the Z....ill have to wait til next summer to find out cause today wjile i was Qding alittl...the little water i had on the car was freezing into little crystals....so igues winter is here now...

Post Thanks / Like
    Allow me to clarify my post a bit better buddy. What I meant to say is that the removal of the actual dropping is not too difficult even after a few hours in the direct sun. What was more difficult with the Zaino was the light or initial etching that was beginning to occur. In other words the Klasse seemed to provide a bit more protection as it didn`t allow this initial etching to occur. Again, these are just my findings in my climate. Laters

Post Thanks / Like
    ya knoe the Floni(3rd person sorry.. )needs clarification on even the simplest of things...but thats interesting....i know your talking extreme heat(to me anyway0 but thats intersting that the K seemed to protect better if the crap was left on longer9to prevent etching)...hopefully i never find out.. thx buddy

Post Thanks / Like
    I hope you never have to find out either. As we all know, bird droppings are some real acidic stuff. Now compound this with heat that reaches to 107 degrees. Ouch! I never quite understood this but when the local meteorologist mentions temperature that reaches 100 or so, he then comes out with another temperature which he claims that the "actual temperature is closer to 112 or 115." Huh? Kind of like when football commentators say that the temperature in Texas Stadium is 90 but that the players are playing under a real temperature of 105. Huh?

Post Office Box 9 Newbury, OH 44065 AIM:YoSteveDotCom
    Post Thanks / Like
    damn Don you`re scaring me (possible mover to TX)

If I were a bird and it were 100Ă‚° out I wouldn`t be flying and crapping, I`d be in the shade or by a pool, checking out the chicks haha pun intended.

I`m going to get that batmobile bulletproof automatic car cover that covers all windows and surrounds the car like a tank

Post Thanks / Like
    Don,

If I`m not mistaken, your meteorologist is probably reporting the "heat index". Just as "wind chill" takes into account wind speed and it`s effect on how cold you feel, "heat index" takes into account humidity, and it`s effect on how hot you feel. The higher the humidity, the higher the heat index. Because your sweat won`t evaporate in higher humidity, it feels warmer than it is accoring to the thermometer.

I could be way off base, but Nebraska gets more than its share of humidity in the summer, and the heat index is as much a fixture of local forecasts in the summer as wind chill is in the winter.

Tort

Post Thanks / Like
    Winters are not too bad here in the Dallas area, so most people are able to wax every month or two if they want without freezing to death or worrying about snow and ice.

I switch to Meguiars #20 when it gets cold, not really because it lasts longer than Meguairs #26, but because it sets up more quickly. I can use it right down to 33 degrees and it still dries reasonably quickly. Anything less than about 45 degrees, and #26 takes too long to dry.
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    I think you may be on to something Tortoise. At any rate we do get a genuine temperature of up to 107 or 108 down here. I`d hate to think of what the heat index is. Do you all remember the experiment done by one of our local news affiliates. They were actually able to bake cookies inside a parked car. Hehe!

Post Thanks / Like
    MN winters can last through March. I usually rewax at the beginning of March. So my comparison is really late winter through mid summer.

Most minnesotans know: 6 months winter, 1 month spring, 1 month fall, 4 months summer.

Zaino has been on that particular car since March until now, with 2 coats added since I thought the beading action/shine was starting to fade.

The March to June of the previous year, the car had Klasse on and fared very well with similar conditions.

Granted, this is very subjective.

I find it interesting that Ric and Detailking find it necessary to question this point.

What a different forum this place has become.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information