Post Thanks / Like
    I bought this mitt at my local NAPA store for $3.99. It is NOT the Viking Mitt, but it is the NAPA brand and it is marked 100% cotton. I have been a big fan of Cotton mitts, but I must say this mitt really disappointed me. Here are some of the reasons

1. Size of the Mitt-- This mitt is small. The actual mitt itself is on 7 inches long by 7 inches wide. The package claims that it is 10 inches long but they are counting in the cuff. The small size of the mitt made it somewhat odd to use, my hands were bigger than the mitt, so I think that made it feel very strange.

2. Cuff of the Mitt-- The cuff of this mitt is NOT 100% cotton. It feels very hard and rough. It has elastic and I suspect a great deal of polyester. With the feel of the cuff there is no way in hell I would ever let this cuff ever touch my paint.

3. Quality.-- The quality of the mitt out of the package seemed to be good. The pile was thick and soft. But once the mitt was wet, things changed. The mitt seemed to thin out quickly. I could see the backing material once the mitt was wet. There was not enought strands per inch to make the mitt super thick and plush. The mitt was stiched on the inside, but I could still see a few rough edges around the seams when it was wet.

Overall I was not impressed with this mitt. The small size made it difficult to use, and the quality of the mitt was not great. I would actually recommend cutting the cuff off of this mitt, the material it is made of is some pretty harsh stuff. Once you begin washing with this mitt it is not much better, if you can see the backing material once the mitt is wet.....well that ain`t good. I tried this mitt because it is the only 100% cotton mitt available in my area, my local AutoZone does not carry the Viking mitts. I will NOT be using or purchasing anymore of these mitts. I think I will just start ordering them from TACS or CMA.

My final verdict on the NAPA 100% Cotton Mitt, it is only average at best :down :down. It just does not meet up to my standards. There are much, much better Cotton mitts out there, don`t waste your money on this one my fellow Autopians.

Post Thanks / Like
    those mitts...like that...when you can see the backing when it gets wet...thats the kiss of death.....forget it dood....sorry it stunk...but at least it wa only $4..

Post Thanks / Like
    FLONI,

Yeah, it was only $4 so it`s no big loss. At least people will know to stay away from these things. :up

Post Thanks / Like
    <blockquote class=`ipsBlockquote` >

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by ShowroomLincoln [/i]
    <strong class=`bbc`>At least people will know to stay away from these things. :up [/b]</blockquote>
    Good on you SL! Lookin` out for your fellow Autopians so that we don`t step in the same pothole. Way to go! :up

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the heads up SL. I may go and look at one to see how it compares to others I have seen locally at other auto part stores to ensure I do not get the same type.

I think if you look at some PEP BOYS you will find a similar mitt. When it gets wet you can actually count the strands I got to like 57 on one side. Then the next time you use it the strands are pulling out.

Like my daddy says "You get what you pay for son"!

Post Thanks / Like
    Guess,

When the mitt is dry and in the bag it does not look that bad, but when it get wet it looks like a POS. They use big strands of material, so when dry it appears to be of good guality. But when it gets wet the strands seperate quickly revealing the backing material. :down

Post Thanks / Like
    <blockquote class=`ipsBlockquote` >

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by ShowroomLincoln [/i]
    <strong class=`bbc`>Guess,

When the mitt is dry and in the bag it does not look that bad, but when it get wet it looks like a POS. They use big strands of material, so when dry it appears to be of good guality. But when it gets wet the strands seperate quickly revealing the backing material. :down [/b]</blockquote>
    You are right on about the mitt ShowroomLincoln, I just tried my $2.99 Napa 100% cotton, large mitt, it sucks. It`s really flimsy once it gets wet. I probably won`t use it much.
    FLONI, our distribution agreement to sell these mitts just went up in smoke

Post Thanks / Like
    as found at target,etc,etc...

Looks good in the store, but it is very thin and when wet the foam backing material shows. Also the stitching is exposed and feels very rough.

The "good" viking mitt is 100% cotton, has a thicker nap, reverse sewed stitching, and it worth every penny!

Post Thanks / Like
    Actually DK, this mitt from NAPA is 100% cotton(the mitt is, not the cuff), has no foam backing, and is stiched on the inside, but IMO it`s still a piece of crap. I just don`t like it, and it certianly does not meet my standards. Like you said, there are much better cotton mitts available.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you SRL.

From your reply to my thread in the dtl forum I guess this Napa mitt could be the same as the smArnold 100% cotton mitts I found in Orchard Supply Hardware for $3.49.

I am glad I can find Viking 100% cotton mitts in my local Kragen for only $3.99.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the info Showroom.

EOM

Thread Information